Dan & Phil Part 75: @philsthiccbooty

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

It looks like Martyn and Cornelia went to do Northland while the boys stayed behind to do Auckland. I wonder what else they'll do and if Phil will post about the naughty/good penguins at the aquarium?
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

@sonicgreen thank you so much! it was driving me crazy last night

here is my official thank you to cornelia for giving us some amazing NZ content on her insta <3
:gayaf:
annabanana
sofa crease
Pronouns: she/her

A good way to start a Monday... i :lilheart: hate :lilheart: you :lilheart:

Have a red velvet cupcake and for fucks sake, dip some toast in your soup. Bye.
kavat
pastel persona

Today I saw deppy merch in the wild for the first time (not counting tatinof/tiit days). Someone had a galaxy backpack and I was tempted to run out of the lunch restaurant to hunt them down and say hi.

Glad to see that they met up with Mimei!
autumnhearth
senpai

Aww “i hate you” is definitely our “always”. Just dropping these here because I can:
Any ideas on what the food is?
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

They're being way too cute, but tear your eyes away for a moment to suggest a name for the next thread! :kissyrat: :moneybath: <3
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I'm addressing the elephant in the room, because said elephant has decided to make himself a public figure at this point, so there's no point in not doing so. :elephant:

Dan's brother posted a "motivational" Q&A on his channel. And the reason I bring it up in this thread and not an Adrian-specific thread is because he liked a comment on his video that addresses the fact that someone found him through his brother:
So it seems he's becoming some minuscule level of open to admitting his views are a result of Dan's audience finding him.

He's not necessarily talking about Dan, but I wonder if he will and moreso, I wonder if Dan will ever acknowledge his brother's new youtube *~filmmaking~* venture.

I have to say, personally, I don't necessarily love him essentially riding on Dan's coattails and equally, I don't love all of the phans in his comments who are.... well.... :forthememe:

Mod Note: I'm bringing up this conversation here, because it involves Dan. For any discussion surrounding Adrian's videos, please feel free to start a thread for him in the Other Youtubers section or I'm happy to do so if no one wants to go first! :lol:
Ablissa
pastel persona

This is interesting, I'm not subscribed to him so I haven't seen this Q&A video prior to you mentioning it @rizzo, and it makes me wonder... How involved is Dan in all this? Because at the moment, I wonder if he is involved at all.
The video has really low volume, Adrian is sitting a little to the side which I found a bit distracting, he says he has no idea what he's doing with this, etc. Did he hit up Dan for some """editing tips""" (of the regular editing kind :D) or is this just a result of his own learning? Will Dan ever mention him on his social media? I don't know, it feels so unlikely, but who knows anymore.

Also worth noting is that his camera recently got stolen and he was selling prints to buy a new one. Unsurprisingly, the phandom must have helped with that a whole lot - I've seen it circulating on my tumblr. I see he also has a patreon now, so he must be pretty serious about this.

He is not my kind of youtuber, but I admit his videos are beautiful. His whole message is totally not for me, though. Mental illness is not something you can just wish away, so his motivational words don't really work for me. I'm also the kind of person that doesn't do any sports, so I'm not really his target audience.

All in all, I'm not sure what to make of it. I honestly simultaneously thought Dan's involvement would be more noticeable (quality of video) and also less (Adrian not acknowledging the phandom at all).

Lastly... Some of the comments phan accounts leave on his social media just have me wanting to scream.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I’ve seen his videos and since Dan initially got a boost from Phil, and Joe Sugg did from Zoe, etc, I :shrug: about people getting that leg up. A lot of them don’t, but then a lot of YouTubers aren’t as engaging as the more popular ones either. I doubt there’ll be a mention from either of them and people are commenting mostly on his content despite a lot being phandom people, at least at first (though barely any obvious names or avatars), also on his looks and voice which is funny. He has a voice like butter, apparently. People are being good and positive about his content, it’s nice to see.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

I still believe that the less attention the brother gets on phan pages, the better.
And I don't see how Dan is involved in this at all. He's very clearly choosing not to be.
autumnhearth
senpai

There is no doubt that a lot of his audience came from the phandom, but at the same time I can’t see it as riding on Dan’s coattails. He’s a film student and is making completely different content from D&P. I liked his drone footage, the scenery was beautiful and his voice was relaxing. I hope he inspires some people to go out and appreciate nature and movement (I just hope they weren’t as foolish as me and hopped on their bike in 92 F heat, plus humidity that feels like 98 F, pedaled up a small hill to the local coffee roaster and then almost passed out before paying. They had to call my dad to pick me up. I’m fine now. Um anyway...)

I think he handled the mental health and motivation questions well, I didn’t get a “wishing away sense” he admitted it was so much easier said than done and came across as sympathetic. And not everything will work for everyone. I did find it interesting to compare some of his philosophies on life to Dan and think about the possible similarities and differences in their upbringing and worldview.

I kinda hope he never mentions Dan, or at least not for a while, it might be wise for Dan not to mention him, but obviously that’s a decision they should make together. :shrug:
000dia000
emo goose

I've actually fallen out of using IDB for a while now (lmao) but after hearing this news I can crawling back just to laugh.

It will be real hilarious if mini-Dan steals Dan's younger thirsty fanbase now that he's seemed to have retired making videos. Also....just wondering how much "inspiration" mini-Dan has taken from the OG. Like, I really don't want to watch the video if I can't help it, but how much of his content is a blatant rip off and how much is original? I'm just wary, knowing how Dan can sometimes be a little, condescending in his approach at times.
:cactus:
flarequake
not an airport stalker

He’s not very like Dan, though he mentioned writing and creativity, and getting really into things. He’s got some wisdom and tips for what people asked about, but it didn’t seem patronising, he seems a typical passionate young person to me (older and kinda jaded). He said he wasn’t sure about doing YouTube for quite a while, but then went for it.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I think at this point, if Dan (or even Phil) wanted to be publicly involved in this, they would have said something by now. He appears to know what he's doing by essentially monetizing the almost immediate fan base a section of the phandom provided him with though. And having watched the film video, I can safely say it's not for me personally, and I wasn't a huge fan of the vibe he was giving off at all.
Ablissa
pastel persona

I'll clarify my earlier post by saying I stopped watching the Q&A about 4 minutes in. When speaking of his motivational words I was referring to his drone videos and his instagram.

To not go totally offtopic though, while I agree with you all saying that Dan and/or Phil likely won't promote Adrian, I did and do wonder about the behind the scenes - whether Dan is helping him get started or not. I guess we'll never know. I will say though that his videos are literally nothing like Dan's in terms of type.
Last edited by Ablissa on Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

im so 'unintesrested' by adrian (im not souscrive to anything by him) that i didn't know he released a q&a
im gonna watch a bit just to see him, because i don't know him but apart from that i think i'm not intestested in his work (even if i watched one of his videos and yeah, it was nice)
but tbh, even if i was interested in him/his work, i think i'd force myself not to watch his videos because i feel like i'm doing something bad and i shouldn't watch his videos. and i don't want to compare him to dan, which i know i'd automatically do! so i prefer to keep away from him, but i understand if other people are interested in his work :)
Last edited by Ataraxia25 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:gayaf:
fieldoflovers
living flop

000dia000 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:05 pm I've actually fallen out of using IDB for a while now (lmao) but after hearing this news I can crawling back just to laugh.

It will be real hilarious if mini-Dan steals Dan's younger thirsty fanbase now that he's seemed to have retired making videos. Also....just wondering how much "inspiration" mini-Dan has taken from the OG. Like, I really don't want to watch the video if I can't help it, but how much of his content is a blatant rip off and how much is original? I'm just wary, knowing how Dan can sometimes be a little, condescending in his approach at times.
I saw the video and some of the other videos on his channel and literally nothing is a rip-off. He reminds me of a young conner franta rather than dan. He talked a lot about loving to be outside when he was younger and rediscovering that and then we have our allergic-to-sunshine Dan. I didn't find the video patrinizing cause I'm about his age and should probably go outside/hike/bike more. One thing though, it made me realize how much travel the howells probably did because he mentioned a lot of places he'd been and wow i'm jealous. The video was good though fairly low energy and dani snot on fire would probably tell him to up that.

I do think that people will find him really attractive and might thirst follow but I only say that cause I remember subscribing to Joe Sugg cause he was cute. I also have no idea how little/much Dan knows about this because surely he must know about the youtube channel, that being said, he doesn't follow adrian's official instagram (unless adrian has a private one).

It will be interesting to see if dan mentions it, it would probably be in a liveshow? Though he might want to protect him from thousands of people suddenly watching his stuff.

Also I was subscribed to the channel but I still felt so wrong clicking on the video, like omg i should not be seeing this :?
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

I'm very much on the wait and see side of things. When Joe Sugg first started people complained he was using Zoe but now he is a better more creative video maker who seems to work really hard (apparently I don't watch).

It's the same as traditional media, people with links get noticed even if it's not promoted or intentional. This is a whole other issue and we can't expect him not to follow his dreams on the off chance he gets some benefit from Dan. The phandom supports Martyn and Cornelia in a way.

I'm not really looking for his type of videos so I haven't watched.
It'd be hilarious if he became friends with the London 'filmmakers' though.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
phanfckingtastic
living flop
Pronouns: he/him

I confess when I heard he was asking for money to get a camera or something along those lines it rubbed me the wrong way, because OBVIOUSLY 99% of his "audience" are phandom people. So knowing it didn't take longer than a few months to take advantage of the huge and unique privilege of being related to one half of youtube's strongest fandom felt gross.
Still, got curious and watched his q&a. I found him very calm and well spoken for his age in his first on camera video. I sincerely bet their parents are very proud of raising such smart, nice guys. :respekt2:
But he's so painfully naive, so precious! telling people "there's absolutely no reason not to do what you want in life", like travelling and shit. What? haha ok. I wouldn't get anything from a channel like that.
Another young white guy with almost no life experience giving advice or tips, or whatever? No thanks.
Having said that, I like his demeanor, I like to see people on youtube talking about nature, about appreciating small things instead of material stuff, and I like that he's supposedly vegan.

I guess I just have a hard time relating to well adjusted people in general and that's why (even if sometimes he gets on my nerves) I definitely feel more comfortable and interested in Dan, who is clearly the black sheep of that family. Although their mum was a punk, right? maybe it's the other way around and they don't understand where sportymcsport came from lmao

Now watch him get a silver button before the year ends :rofl:
eternal dan and phil mood -> :happytears:
liola
rankussy

My opinion on all of this is that I honestly couldn't give less fucks. He's out there and enjoying it, good for him, he's definitely not the kind of youtuber/life coach I feel comfortable following. I hate going outside and to my anxious self that sounds more harmful than anything. The whole "keep the negativity away" is the kind of speech that I stay away from even from therapists, let alone from random younger dudes.

My two moods on this whole thing is that I find gross how quick the phandom is to jump on licking the ass on anyone remotely close to deppy and I hate how some peeps have started comparing him to Dan, both physically and mentally.

The second mood is that I hope he doesn't turn around in a couple of months when the attention gets too much once again and gets frustrated. While I understand that he wants to do his own thing, considering he's apparently studing film he should know youtube isn't the only outlet for that and at the moment it sure isn't the best, considering it's a pretty saturated market already. He must know what kind of people he's attracting and I sure hope he got ready for it before starting. I hate to think what some people did to him when he was younger, but he's definitely grown up now and I hope he realizes.

I don't think Dan is involved, and if he is I doubt he'd want any credit. It really is a starking difference between Phil and Martyn, but then their families was probably the one thing they never had in common.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
flarequake
not an airport stalker

I didn’t take it that he was asking for money, though he’s got enough of an audience that selling a few £5 photo prints might help, he’s offering something decent for a low price.
dc34
glabella

I will basically write what I wrote on twitter, and that's im not comfortable right now watching adrian. And if I ever do get to the point when I want to watch him, i won't follow him no matter how open he becomes on the internet. (From seeing what he talks about it seems like it won't be for me anyway lol). Maybe its just me, but I find it weird when people obsess over family members of the people they stan. I don't follow nor interact with Martyn and Cornelia so its not just an adrian exclusive thing. I've heard the channel is well done, and many people have gotten inspiration from the q&a so that's good for them. But a good majority of the people need to be honest with themselves and if he wasn't dan's brother they wouldn't care. Like he opens up a channel and all of a sudden there are people interested in film making lol. I'm not going to deny there are people who genuinely want to support his content, but the majority aren't and im not getting into that mess.

Even without him liking the comment, he seemed aware of what he was getting into by doing a channel on a site where his brother is huge. It does lowkey make me feel sad for him that he couldn't do a youtube channel for a long time or do a patreon or fundraise money for his camera bc people would say he was taking advantage of his brother's fans.

Tho I'm not going to judge if he technically is getting a silver spoon or has an advantage many of his film making friends don't because that's something he can't help. It's life, its not what you know but who you know. Dan had a similar jump start because of Phil, and we don't trash him bc we know how it ended up, so imma give adrian the benefit of the doubt that he will produce good content with this new attention.

Finally, I do wonder how much Dan is involved. I'm going to assume not a lot. He probably is aware of the channel and is supportive in private but thats as far as it'll go. Tho from what someone wrote above about him not knowing what to do, he should probably get tips from Dan. Like dude the resource is there use it. It will probably a long time till Dan acknowledges Adrian's existence. Also, that does make me wonder how close they are . They have a similar age gap me and my younger sister have and while we are close cause we share a room ( I need to move lol), we fight a lot bc we never see eye to eye
Andy
squish

Ataraxia25 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:31 pm im so 'unintesrested' by adrian (im not souscrive to anything by him) that i didn't know he released a q&a
im gonna watch a bit just to see him, because i don't know him but apart from that i think i'm not intestested in his work (even if i watched one of his videos and yeah, it was nice)
but tbh, even if i was interested in him/his work, i think i'd force myself not to watch his videos because i feel like i'm doing something bad and i shouldn't watch his videos. and i don't want to compare him to dan, which i know i'd automatically do! so i prefer to keep away from him, but i understand if other people are interested in his work :)
This! I saw one of his videos before and felt really weird. When i came into the phandom dan's brother was this no-no topic and i've grown so used to the mindset of "let him live, he's just a young boy" and seeing him as a kid that watching that video felt kind of like a shock. I will not seek out his content tho if the topic gets brought up again i won't restrain myself.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

flarequake wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:43 pm I didn’t take it that he was asking for money, though he’s got enough of an audience that selling a few £5 photo prints might help, he’s offering something decent for a low price.
He's only got two sets up for £5 - the initial two he posted. Barely a day later (presumably when he realized that phandom has deep pockets, and his prints would definitely sell) he restocked his store and all of the newly added ones are £30-£50.

And I do wonder as well how Dan feels about his brother almost immediately appealing to his audience for financial support. Scrolling through the instagram post comments showed multiple people, almost all with Dan and Phil related pics or usernames, talking about asking parents for their credit cards or wanting to get their parents to buy for them.

It's a gray area to me. Adrian is offering goods in exchange for the money, it's not as though there's anything sketchy there. People are getting exactly what they pay for. But I'm fairly certain that most of these people are not, independent of this situation, also photography student support enthusiasts. So Adrian is - intentionally or not - capitalizing on people who are inclined to want to please him because it makes them feel closer to Dan.
dc34
glabella

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:24 pm
flarequake wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:43 pm I didn’t take it that he was asking for money, though he’s got enough of an audience that selling a few £5 photo prints might help, he’s offering something decent for a low price.
He's only got two sets up for £5 - the initial two he posted. Barely a day later (presumably when he realized that phandom has deep pockets, and his prints would definitely sell) he restocked his store and all of the newly added ones are £30-£50.

And I do wonder as well how Dan feels about his brother almost immediately appealing to his audience for financial support. Scrolling through the instagram post comments showed multiple people, almost all with Dan and Phil related pics or usernames, talking about asking parents for their credit cards or wanting to get their parents to buy for them.

It's a gray area to me. Adrian is offering goods in exchange for the money, it's not as though there's anything sketchy there. People are getting exactly what they pay for. But I'm fairly certain that most of these people are not, independent of this situation, also photography student support enthusiasts. So Adrian is - intentionally or not - capitalizing on people who are inclined to want to please him because it makes them feel closer to Dan.
Honestly this is how I feel about the whole ordeal. He obviously knows how deep phandom members pockets are if he's willing to sell prints for 30-50 , and people know what their getting so its not sketchy but ya its weird. imo i don't see dan getting mad about it bc they're family so adrian probably gets a pass that other creators don't