Dan & Phil Part 75: @philsthiccbooty

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alien
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her

fieldoflovers wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:32 pm
000dia000 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:05 pm I've actually fallen out of using IDB for a while now (lmao) but after hearing this news I can crawling back just to laugh.

It will be real hilarious if mini-Dan steals Dan's younger thirsty fanbase now that he's seemed to have retired making videos. Also....just wondering how much "inspiration" mini-Dan has taken from the OG. Like, I really don't want to watch the video if I can't help it, but how much of his content is a blatant rip off and how much is original? I'm just wary, knowing how Dan can sometimes be a little, condescending in his approach at times.
I saw the video and some of the other videos on his channel and literally nothing is a rip-off. He reminds me of a young conner franta rather than dan. He talked a lot about loving to be outside when he was younger and rediscovering that and then we have our allergic-to-sunshine Dan. I didn't find the video patrinizing cause I'm about his age and should probably go outside/hike/bike more. One thing though, it made me realize how much travel the howells probably did because he mentioned a lot of places he'd been and wow i'm jealous. The video was good though fairly low energy and dani snot on fire would probably tell him to up that.

I do think that people will find him really attractive and might thirst follow but I only say that cause I remember subscribing to Joe Sugg cause he was cute. I also have no idea how little/much Dan knows about this because surely he must know about the youtube channel, that being said, he doesn't follow adrian's official instagram (unless adrian has a private one).

It will be interesting to see if dan mentions it, it would probably be in a liveshow? Though he might want to protect him from thousands of people suddenly watching his stuff.

Also I was subscribed to the channel but I still felt so wrong clicking on the video, like omg i should not be seeing this :?
yeah my only take away from his q&a vid was how much he reminds me of connor franta too.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Oh, didn’t know that. That is pretty high for prints, I look at enough YouTube artists’ stuff.

ETA- ooh, I’m a rankussy. Fun.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

his content is cool but i can't look at the comments section without wanting to donate my eyes. never once have i thought that dan would ever get involved or mention him though, he hates it if people even comment "dan brought me here" on youtube vids he's mentioned in liveshows.
besides, what is there even to mention? they're not the same as far as inteests go.

completely disassociated from who he's related to, watching videos of beautiful scenery and physical activity is kinda motivating, but i don't feel like i have the right mindset to go do anything remotely similar.
the only fitness i do is indoors on my little stationary bike + weight lifting. the visual stimuli is quite nice though and makes me want to experience the world more without fear.

do i think a lot of the phandom would actually care if it weren't for knowing who adrian is? nah. but that boost isn't necessarily a bad thing, his life seems interesting enough. but i doubt that phantrash atthechemicaldisco would willingly subscribe after watching a random, attractive guy on a bicycle if his name was Jimbo.

that sounds harsh, i'm not saying that anyone who is part of the phandom and is also subbed to him are just 'faking it', all i'm saying is that it's obvious why the majority of viewers and commentors are watching him.
the guy has talent and creativity but it sucks that he's mostly just being seen as dan's brother. but like, get that coin, sis.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
japhan
smol bean

dc34 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:51 pm But a good majority of the people need to be honest with themselves and if he wasn't dan's brother they wouldn't care. Like he opens up a channel and all of a sudden there are people interested in film making lol.
probably slightly biased because his videos do not interest me AT ALL, but that’s almost exactly how i felt watching one of his first nature videos. i saw a comment that said something like “i love your videos, they’re so relaxing, you’re my favorite youtuber” by someone who’s name was like PHAN MCR EMO TRASH and i was just like :roll:

i did wonder though if some of those people know The Origin Story of Dan and Phil™ and might be trying to befriend him “How to Befriend Your Favorite Internet Star” style as he is still relatively unexposed, and if that might account for some of the obsession because if you look at it objectively his videos are SO different to dan and phil’s (but again i feel like that would be a super small minority of people esp because of the drama last time).

also i don’t know how much prints and stuff normally cost, but wow those prints seemed kinda expensive. the photos look really nice, though. i doubt he will but i wonder if he will ever release signed prints lol. how much $$$ people would shell out for them?
:blackheart:
Ablissa
pastel persona

japhan wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:54 pm also i don’t know how much prints and stuff normally cost, but wow those prints seemed kinda expensive. the photos look really nice, though. i doubt he will but i wonder if he will ever release signed prints lol. how much $$$ people would shell out for them?
He's attaching a handwritten thank you note to the limited edition ones. They are really beautiful, but I'd rather throw £30 at Deppy so that they can get their dog/house/sky bar date/tip a hot waiter. :lol:
phantastically-avg
sad dimple

japhan wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:54 pm i did wonder though if some of those people know The Origin Story of Dan and Phil™ and might be trying to befriend him “How to Befriend Your Favorite Internet Star” style as he is still relatively unexposed, and if that might account for some of the obsession because if you look at it objectively his videos are SO different to dan and phil’s (but again i feel like that would be a super small minority of people esp because of the drama last time).
I don't want to wade into this too much, especially given everyone else has pretty much covered my thoughts, but I do think this is a big part of it. Compared to other the other people in their lives, who are either out of the public eye or older, Adrian is more accessible I think in many people's minds to cozy up to and possibly get admitted to the inner circle... or at least closer to it.

It's sad for him because if I was putting out content I'd want to know it was for me and what I was posting and not for who I was related to, and sad for the fans, because I'm pretty sure Adrian is smart enough to know what those fans are trying and won't fall for that.

The whole thing just makes me cringe a little basically. I'm all for Adrian putting out his own content if he wants (and I'm sure he knew what would happen and was ready for it), but the fans crawling over themselves to kiss his arse just because of who he's related too, and feeling special in some way because of it is just a embarrassing to me. Of course, I'm old as hell, so maybe I'm just too cynical, but yeah.
dc34
glabella

topdanhowellmemes wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:06 pm
japhan wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:54 pm i did wonder though if some of those people know The Origin Story of Dan and Phil™ and might be trying to befriend him “How to Befriend Your Favorite Internet Star” style as he is still relatively unexposed, and if that might account for some of the obsession because if you look at it objectively his videos are SO different to dan and phil’s (but again i feel like that would be a super small minority of people esp because of the drama last time).
I don't want to wade into this too much, especially given everyone else has pretty much covered my thoughts, but I do think this is a big part of it. Compared to other the other people in their lives, who are either out of the public eye or older, Adrian is more accessible I think in many people's minds to cozy up to and possibly get admitted to the inner circle... or at least closer to it.

It's sad for him because if I was putting out content I'd want to know it was for me and what I was posting and not for who I was related to, and sad for the fans, because I'm pretty sure Adrian is smart enough to know what those fans are trying and won't fall for that.

The whole thing just makes me cringe a little basically. I'm all for Adrian putting out his own content if he wants (and I'm sure he knew what would happen and was ready for it), but the fans crawling over themselves to kiss his arse just because of who he's related too, and feeling special in some way because of it is just a embarrassing to me. Of course, I'm old as hell, so maybe I'm just too cynical, but yeah.
This right here, I remember someone asked me why the reaction to Adrian was different to that of Martyn's and its essentially what you said. A good chunk of the fanbase is young and are closer to Adrian's age than they are to deppy, hell I'm only 1 year younger than Adrian, and they feel like , well if i can't befriend (and for some date) dan than i can just have the younger version which makes me cringe a bit.
Phantasy
woodland creature

Since it's an active discussion, there's certainly some awareness of Adrian's growing web presence amongst both Dan (and Phil). Earlier in the year Adrian did a charity bike ride for mental health and raised money on Just Giving. It was low key (58 supporters) mostly family and friend givers and only a few from the phandom that snuck through late in the game. What was sweet was a donation from Phil Lester for £50 and an anonymous for £50 at the same time (presumably from Dan). So even though they don't publicly interact, there's obvious some level of support and connection (even with Phil) which is touching to see.

Not to start a free for all of family discourse, but Dan's grandma recently supported a change.com petition calling for the UK government to take action so the partner of a gay man can secure his Visa so he doesn't get deported :love1: : https://www.change.org/p/make-the-uk-ho ... ransparent
nephilimcat
woodland creature

The vindictive side of me really couldn't blame Adrian if he was using the fanbase that tormented him years ago to make a name for himself. He knows people will subscribe to and support him because of Dan, so why not use that to his advantage? I highly doubt that was what made him create this channel, I do see passion behind it, but I don't know maybe choosing YouTube as a platform was partially because he knew the Phandom would support him there.
I was curious to see what he looks like and how he talks and what his worldviews are, I must admit. I did watch that Q&A not because I'm actually interested in filmmaking. I did like how he admitted that he knows that telling someone with a mental illness to just do something if they want to is easier said than done, it makes me hopeful that Dan's family is supportive of him, but his whole "you can do whatever you want"-schtick annoys me. If you're a rich, white, healthy, able-bodied person, that might be true, otherwise, nah mate. He seems pretty naive and idealistic to me and I'm not going to watch his future videos. I hope he learns a little more about how the world works soon. I wonder if I'd be like this too had I not been depressed for so many years.
pulvis et umbra sumus
citizen_erased
truth bomb

I had never seen anything of Adrian before, just vaguely heard of him, so I'll readily admit I mostly watched some of his stuff to see what he's like. I watched one of his ~inspirational~ videos and part of his Q&A and honestly he comes across to me as a healthier and more tanned version of Dan. You can definitely easily tell they're brothers. It was a bit weird to watch, and I'm not subscribing, even if only because I'm not here for a 20-year old white boy telling me that everything is all about motivation. I'm too jaded/depressed for that kind of inspirational talk :lol: his videos and views aren't particularly original or groundbreaking, but then again, he's just starting out and you gotta start somewhere.

Good on him on trying to make his own way and making something for himself though. I'm not sure how I feel about him suddenly upping the price of his prints that far, but on the other hand I can't really blame him for cashing in. I hope this YT thing works out for him and that it gives him a good place to hone his skills and create a little internet corner for himself. :ribena:

a bit more on actual Dan&Phil topic: I'm super late about the whole skycity date thing but first of all that was beautiful, they're beautiful :happytears: and second the yaaaasss from both of them when breaking that chocolate really amused me for some reason :lol:
nigel ratburn
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

re: adrian- i will say that i followed his insta when people on here first found it, but i follow a lot of landscape/photography accounts and i'm a film student myself so i was genuinely interested. after hearing about what his actual video content is, i don't have any interest in his youtube channel-- i know that kind of fitness/outdoors-focused motivation is helpful to some, but certainly not for me-- but i think i'll keep following his insta, at least for now. what can i say, i like pretty pictures of cliffs.

i don't really blame him for capitalizing on the attention he's gotten by being dan's brother-- it's his own work, and if people are willing to pay more for it because of who he's related to, good for him if that doesn't bother him. it's not like he's explicitly advertised himself or his content as related to dan, so it doesn't bother me, though i see why other people might be iffy about it, especially since he's been such a taboo subject of discussion in fandom for so long.

(also v late but skybar date and hanging with mimei <3 <3 <3 i have been fed well thank you boys)
knq
lava lamp

Phantasy wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:31 pm Since it's an active discussion, there's certainly some awareness of Adrian's growing web presence amongst both Dan (and Phil). Earlier in the year Adrian did a charity bike ride for mental health and raised money on Just Giving. It was low key (58 supporters) mostly family and friend givers and only a few from the phandom that snuck through late in the game. What was sweet was a donation from Phil Lester for £50 and an anonymous for £50 at the same time (presumably from Dan). So even though they don't publicly interact, there's obvious some level of support and connection (even with Phil) which is touching to see.

Not to start a free for all of family discourse, but Dan's grandma recently supported a change.com petition calling for the UK government to take action so the partner of a gay man can secure his Visa so he doesn't get deported :love1: : https://www.change.org/p/make-the-uk-ho ... ransparent
While both of those things are sweet and I'd be happy to know that one of Dan's parental figures is supporting equal rights, I'm quite surprised and a bit confused how you know those things. I understand there's an old link from Adrian to Dan that Adrian's now made sort-of public, but how did Dan's grandmother become publicly associated with him?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

watsonian wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:16 pm
Phantasy wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:31 pm Since it's an active discussion, there's certainly some awareness of Adrian's growing web presence amongst both Dan (and Phil). Earlier in the year Adrian did a charity bike ride for mental health and raised money on Just Giving. It was low key (58 supporters) mostly family and friend givers and only a few from the phandom that snuck through late in the game. What was sweet was a donation from Phil Lester for £50 and an anonymous for £50 at the same time (presumably from Dan). So even though they don't publicly interact, there's obvious some level of support and connection (even with Phil) which is touching to see.

While both of those things are sweet and I'd be happy to know that one of Dan's parental figures is supporting equal rights, I'm quite surprised and a bit confused how you know those things. I understand there's an old link from Adrian to Dan that Adrian's now made sort-of public, but how did Dan's grandmother become publicly associated with him?
Dan is the one that informed fans his grandmother had a twitter, he tweeted when she followed him in 2014 and then she had a brief spree of interacting with fans.

So while her twitter falls under the umbrella of things shared publicly by the person in question, we would request that anything posted about her from her twitter be kept strictly related to what is relevant to Dan and Phil.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

rizzo wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:28 am :omgsomuch: let me see you werq that poll. :omgsomuch:
ohmygosh this is the hardest name poll to vote ever, I want all of them to happen
Philena
blobfish

LurkingTrash wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:09 am
rizzo wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:28 am :omgsomuch: let me see you werq that poll. :omgsomuch:
ohmygosh this is the hardest name poll to vote ever, I want all of them to happen
That's because they're all adorable Phil quotes :cinnamon:
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

:sunshine: Head's up :sunshine:

If you're looking for a post about Adrian and photography that @ame posted in this thread earlier, as well as more conversation about Adrian, head over to his thread in the Other YouTubers section: Adrian Howell.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
sonicgreen
woodland creature

Curious to see if there is a Rize stream tomorrow morning? Will it be at the same time?
NZ is another 2 hour difference from last week...

...they're going to stream at 4 am aren't they?
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

sonicgreen wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:56 am Curious to see if there is a Rize stream tomorrow morning? Will it be at the same time?

I've been silently screaming about timezones since yesterday when I realized this. I'll be out most of the day as well :sideeye:
I will really not miss this struggle when tour is over.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
phanfckingtastic
living flop
Pronouns: he/him

Phil in this photo is just.... wow. :drool: :happytears: :hearts: :kissyrat:
Lucky, lucky Dan. Lucky both of them but 2018 Phil, oh my lord. I get their absence if they have no shows, I mean.
Yeah.
:ribena:

fan is https://www.instagram.com/gniltarps/
eternal dan and phil mood -> :happytears:
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

+1 to Phil in that picture <3

Came here to squee that I just saw new Phil merch in the wild! In my sleepy little Buckinghamshire village no less! It was a teenage girl out with her mum so I didn’t interact as that would be weird, but it made me smile :) Hello, fellow fan!
autumnhearth
senpai

Damn, he’s mesmerizing. Though perhaps they filmed a gaming video during that time? *fingers crossed*
kavat
pastel persona

I know it's only been a day of them being quiet and they are allowed to rest after months on tour but I can't help but wish for a DITL of Dan and Phil in Hobbiton. I would love to see them nerd out and make jokes about being giants.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

Catallena wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:46 am
sonicgreen wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:56 am Curious to see if there is a Rize stream tomorrow morning? Will it be at the same time?

I've been silently screaming about timezones since yesterday when I realized this. I'll be out most of the day as well :sideeye:
A suspiciously silent night :bbb: :sideeye:
Also that fan photo, wow they're so pretty!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

sonicgreen wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:19 pm
Catallena wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:46 am

A suspiciously silent night :bbb: :sideeye:
Also that fan photo, wow they're so pretty!
They took mercy on us and our (sleep) schedules! :stan:

Now watch as their next liveshow will be at a time when we're both asleep. :thumb:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr