Adrian Howell

lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

re:adrian gosh its quite a weird topic to come back to because, like everyone said, it used to be a taboo subject yet now everyones talking about him. my thoughts are simply: if this is what he wants to do, then good for him and i dont feel like hes intentionally taking advantage of his older brother's fanbase.

as for the mental health stuff, its usually hard to empathize if you havent experienced chronic depression/anxiety yourself, so what people do is sympathize instead. interestingly enough, i was just watching jessica and ash's recent collab video and they briefly talked about political correctness vs emotional correctness where sometimes people have good intentions but unfortunately falls short on doing or saying the right things. perhaps theres whats happening here?

as for the prints, i personally feel that its not a big deal. ive sold art myself before and theres always this discussion of "am i overpricing? or am i underpricing?" especially when you take into consideration the entire climate between consumers and the artists themselves. producing art, especially ones with a physical form, is not cheap. im not sure about photograph prints, much less uk based ones,

but i know theres a lot of factors that can impact a print's price:
  • size
  • paper material (matte, pearlescent, how thick or thin it is, etc.)
  • quality of the print (no colour misprints, etc.)
  • or whether he went to a printing shop or done it himself (every manufacturer/printing shop has different prices but most of the time its cheaper for bulk and pricier for individual printing. however, if he had done it himself, then its a different story. )
    1. if its a digital camera, then its a matter of him having the printer to print it. hed have to setup the file itself and make sure the colours and the image quality is good otherwise itd come off as blurry or just plain wrong. its still pretty expensive to buy a good quality laser printer, much less occasionally have to buy ink refills.
    2. if its traditional film, first youd have to have a dark room, cut out the film you want to use. expose it onto photo paper using fancy contraption that ive forgotten what its actually called cz i only learned about it when i was a highschooler, and put it through a bajillion chemical baths where you have to methodically time it how long to dip it in not to mention know the specific percentages of the chemical mixtures first of all, to develop it. its much more work intensive and time consuming since you have to dry then bathe them over and over in different chemical baths, not to mention you actually have to have access to these things
  • then theres the whole artist's labour and creative work on the art itself
  • supply and demand
...so many factors.

anyways........im not quick to judge him for upping the prices of his prints because in the first place, it is a much bigger size than the cheaper print sets and is limited edition. if he had upped the price but still kept the same smaller prints, THEN id raise an eyebrow, but he didnt. still, im not entirely sure what the average pricing for photo prints in UK tho so theres still a chance that he might be intentionally overpricing. im just here to shed some light on the process of it.
Last edited by lefthandedism on Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: moved from main thread (Dan & Phil Part 75: @philsthiccbooty)
"you are next to me in my life"
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual
Pronouns: she/her

It's hard for any of us to evaluate Adrian on his own terms--literally all of us here know him in context and can't claim to have just stumbled upon his videos.

And so many of the comments on his videos are over the top: for example, he certainly has a nice voice, but he would need some training and practice to actually be a voiceover actor.

But I think his videos are nice, especially his first one. He's lucked into way more attention than a newbie YouTuber would usually get (either by accident or design), but what really matters is what he does with that. It's niche content, perhaps, but he could grow a nice channel, and over time, I expect the people who will stick around for it will actually be people who like his content.

If you haven't watched his videos because you cringe at what they might be like, I encourage you to invest a couple of minutes to check the first one out. If you cringe because you can only see yourself watching him as part of the phandom, then maybe wait till he gets really famous on his own!

"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
Phantasy
woodland creature

Looks like the flood gates are open. His QnA vid has almost 30k views in under 24hrs. Now that he’s shown his face, I think that’s given people who’ve maybe felt a little uncomfortable a signal that this is what he wants, that he wants to share his creativity, and he’s not a kid anymore that needs to hide from (or be coddled by) the phannies. Hope he’s ready for the culture shock and phandom onslaught though!

Other than the curiosity factor, I don’t think he’ll find a lot of the phandom automatically resonating with his content (that seemed to be the theme in the main thread when discussed). From what I can tell, so far though his comments section has been fulsome and polite. (Doing wonders for his ego for sure.) Yet, extroverted vegan health and outdoor enthusiast is not exactly #relatable for the phan brand. It seems he has a modicum of talent and a strong confidence, so I wish him luck and hope he finds an audience tuning in for him and his art and not just a morbid curiosity.
Grey
lady door

Well I just rubbernecked at his channel. He makes me uncomfortable but it’s not his fault. He also looks like he’s Connor Franta’s brother... which is weird. :tinfoil:

Anyway, I was kind of sad to see “Daniel and Depression” was the first suggested video underneath the Q&A. I know Dan is a highly successful millionaire who is currently travelling the world with his BFF and selling out entire theatres of fans that love him, and I probably shouldn’t feel THAT sorry for him... but I’m the eldest sibling and also the most fucked up, so the juxtaposition of this guy’s super healthy positivity schtick next to that video made me feel things. (I’m not concluding anything because obviously I don’t know what their family dynamic is... I’m just sharing my feelings, which I admit are mostly derived from projection).
I'm having a stress.
Lilla
placenta

ame wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:52 am re:adrian gosh its quite a weird topic to come back to because, like everyone said, it used to be a taboo subject yet now everyones talking about him. my thoughts are simply: if this is what he wants to do, then good for him and i dont feel like hes intentionally taking advantage of his older brother's fanbase.
I agree completely. I'll be honest, I haven't watched his q&a video (not because I've anything against it I just haven't) but I feel that from his position it was literally impossible to avoid "controversy" with anything he makes.

Some people are talking about how he's (for lack of a better term) taking advantage of the phandom by asking for money and everything, but whether he was hoping for the phandom to be the audience or not, who watches his videos/follows his social media is not under his control. His options were basically stay away from the public eye forever or come back and undoubtedly get people watching him because of Dan. He did what many people I feel would do if something from them was taken, try and get enough money to pay for a new one. The only difference is he's gaining inevitable views/funding indirectly from his brother for this.

I think people either judging him for it or watching him simply for his relations is not his fault. I don't know much about him and from what I can tell his videos are not my taste (though they are extremely beautiful visually) but if he ever wanted to make videos, it was a given Dan's fandom would participate.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I fully admit, I’m watching him, especially the Q&A, out of curiosity for what he’s like and less the content itself, though I don’t watch anyone else make arty outdoorsy vlogs and they’re short so far so it’s an interesting change. I usually watch artists and just a few vloggers.

I didn’t think of Connor Franta, but he reminds me a bit of Jack Harries. Arty filmmakery, tanned, idk. I also never really watched Connor, I tried and got bored, so can’t compare so well.

I think £30 for an A4 print is steep. I’ve ordered a few art prints a bit smaller (usually from the US where they’re close in size, but don’t have A4 as a thing) and paid £15, but people do charge different prices. I’ve seen originally pencil art selling for $10k and they’re very good pieces, but yikes. Anyone would test the waters and see how it goes, though. Patreon after just 3 or 4 videos also amuses me, but he has got over 10k subs already, the audience just got there quickly.

From the comments on his videos, I’ve seen some hilarious stuff about his looks and voice, being a young good-looking British chap never hurts, but there’s a lot about inspiration for going outside and making them feel better when people have been feeling low, so I think the content is drawing people in just fine. It’s funny cos if people are there for the fame connection, they really seem to like his content.
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

aight, imma reply here because im 100% sure the anon i got from tumblr came from here since i never mentioned or talked about him outside of idb (except for the one post i reblogged asking for people to not be creepy about supporting him)

thank you, i appreciate the link! honestly, its hard to tell if someone is suffering from anxiety/depression unless that person had explicitly said it or you know the person enough to feel the red flags. i neither knew adrian enough nor do i follow him on any social media, so i just opted for the safe guess. i also decided to not watch his q&a after all since i personally still feel weird about it, but if he starts to make a name on his own, then maybe?

still tho, i think this just comes down to what works for some people and what dont. if trying to think more positively works for him, then thats all good. its such a simple mantra but also saying "think positive" can mean different things to different people. its either: "shove away the negative and force yourself to think happy thoughts" or "acknowledge the negative and have the courage to remain hopeful for the positive". anyways, i dont wanna prattle too much because i genuinely dont know adrian as a person and its not my place to speak for him. i just wish him all the best. :thumb:
"you are next to me in my life"
amberblogslife
squish

I might actually die from cringe because of this article we the unicorns posted:
https://www.wetheunicorns.com/youtubers ... e-channel/

Why the drama again please stop..
I do actually like his content, but I am quite into photography so that might explain that one. Thought his q+a was adorably badly paced and very obviously not a vlogger, but it's a learning curve.
Constantly in an existential crisis.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

They make such a big deal of telling us all the history and the patronising parting shot :sideeye: Did they read any video comments to see that people have treated him just fine? The guys haven’t mentioned each other for their own reasons, but of course the fricking unicorns have to air it. Good grief.
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

amberblogslife wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:51 pm I might actually die from cringe because of this article we the unicorns posted:
https://www.wetheunicorns.com/youtubers ... e-channel/

Why the drama again please stop..
I do actually like his content, but I am quite into photography so that might explain that one. Thought his q+a was adorably badly paced and very obviously not a vlogger, but it's a learning curve.
UGH. wetheunicorns are the absolute worst.
Phandumb
smol bean

I don’t understand why it sounded like a good idea to someone? Let’s write an article alllll about how this kid got chased off the Internet by the big bad Phandom and by default bring WAY more attention to the situation. Lol what even? I’m just imagining people I knew back then who straight up left after everything went down seeing that article and thinking to themselves “They haven’t changed”... and that feels a lot like fanning flames that didn’t need to exist in the first place. I dunno. Opinions. 🤷🏻‍♀️
-Angel 💜
flarequake
not an airport stalker

I think because they exist to report on everything, ethics second apparently.
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

I've watched his video's and I do like them even though I'm pretty skeptical about all of the "meta philosophy" he injects into exploring the great outdoors, exercising and being positive. It feel almost spiritual, with some new age / Buddhist undertones of appreciating the now. It's not that I find that a bad message by itself it's just that it's coated in a way that I find a bit off-putting. I would connect to the message more if it was more concrete.
I'm not really surprised by his style though, the whole Howell family seems to have an (un)conscious desire to dispense advice as some sort of life-coaches. Dan e.g. also follows Eckhart Tolle on twitter, who's a bit of a new age guru.
I like his content, kind of despite the veneer of hipsterism i react allergically to, because I think he's genuine in his intent and belief (vague as it is), and it takes courage to put content like that out there which is always open to anyone's criticism. Shows imo that he really would like to help people. I'm also glad to just seem him, much like his brother he does strike me as kind at heart, interesting, witty and charming.

The unicorns article I don't really have a problem with. This forum is basically doing the same in it's own way. It's not like he explicitly said : here i am, in the public eye, you can now comment on me ! No, that's just what some moderators have decided should be the case (because he makes a Q&A ?) and suddenly what was before taboo and considered 'private' is now public? Very debatable, but I don't think it was ever bad to respectfully talk about Adrian. Yea, don't stalk or harass him. Maybe try to value him for who he is and not just as Dan's brother, so don't just only ask him about his brother. This is where it went wrong in the past. We should treat anyone respectfully anyway, and the unicorn article only made that point and expressed views that were being shared in the fandom anyway.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
knq
lava lamp

Well, the unicorns article explains a lot. Today YouTube suggested a new video from Adrian to me, which was surprising, as I don't watch anything even remotely related to the type of videos he makes and the last time we discussed his channel it didn't seem there'd been a huge phandom influx on his channel for the YouTube algorithms to connect his content with Dan and Phil's. The unicorns article must have sent a lot of people there.

I have a generally bad impression of wetheunicorns, but I skimmed that article and it didn't seem too terrible. I think it may even have benefited Adrian's image a bit, as wetheunicorns reporting on past drama, while not ideal, is less cringeworthy than the bunch of YouTube videos and tumblr posts made by young people ages ago saying LEAVE ADRIAN HOWELL ALONE!1!11 accompanied by photos of his child self that came up when I googled Adrian looking for his channel a few weeks ago.

Now when I google Adrian Howell, I get his Youtube Channel, the wetheunicorns article, and a few other things that look like they might actually be relevant to 2018 Adrian rather than... whatever year it was when the phandom harassed him. It's a mixed bag, but hopefully that jump in popularity will establish him as an individual content creator.

Still not too happy about having him in my suggestions box.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

watsonian wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:26 am Well, the unicorns article explains a lot. Today YouTube suggested a new video from Adrian to me, which was surprising, as I don't watch anything even remotely related to the type of videos he makes and the last time we discussed his channel it didn't seem there'd been a huge phandom influx on his channel for the YouTube algorithms to connect his content with Dan and Phil's. The unicorns article must have sent a lot of people there.

I have a generally bad impression of wetheunicorns, but I skimmed that article and it didn't seem too terrible. I think it may even have benefited Adrian's image a bit, as wetheunicorns reporting on past drama, while not ideal, is less cringeworthy than the bunch of YouTube videos and tumblr posts made by young people ages ago saying LEAVE ADRIAN HOWELL ALONE!1!11 accompanied by photos of his child self that came up when I googled Adrian looking for his channel a few weeks ago.

Now when I google Adrian Howell, I get his Youtube Channel, the wetheunicorns article, and a few other things that look like they might actually be relevant to 2018 Adrian rather than... whatever year it was when the phandom harassed him. It's a mixed bag, but hopefully that jump in popularity will establish him as an individual content creator.

Still not too happy about having him in my suggestions box.
Multiple people have had Dan's content suggested after seeing Adrian's video now, I had "Daniel and depression" linked as first suggestion too. I wasn't surprised, this is exactly the sort of viewing predictions I'd expect the algorithms to link. There's plenty of links between Dan and Adrian's channels. Just both of them having "Howell" in their channel is a first one, and then from the very early start his audience was mostly people from the fandom. That generates very statistically solid links in views, watctime, likes, subscriptions between the two audiences. I wouldn't even be surprised, if his channel kept growing, that Adrian one day pops up in the first page of results when you search for "Daniel Howell".

I knew of his channel after the first vid when he was around 4k subs and when I clicked some profiles, you could immediately see they were part of the fandom by their subscriptions to all the D&P channels. You wouldn't directly know by looking at the youtube icons though, I've only seen those pop up after the Q&A vid / general attention generated by twitter/unicorn article / ... Still, I think he himself knew right from the get go that the audience watching his vids was basically the fandom, despite his ambition I think to search for his own audience. It's just the blessing and the curse of being Adrian Howell. It's been that way with every profile he had on the internet, so he has a rich personal experience of how... dedicated some fans are in finding out about him. There's also just the massive stream of praise in the comments, and the fact that he immediately got a couple of thousand of subscribers with that kind of niche content. That just doesn't really happen, unless you make the extremely rare video that goes viral, but his video's don't really fit the (rare) type of video's that would immediately bring thousands of views to a very personal video about a trip you make with your bike...

Yea, I agree We The Unicorns is a mixed bag. They just remind me of basically every (digital) pop magazine ever. It's gossip, pure and simple. Basically we do the same on this forum right, be it that we're not making a business out of it and individuals sharing our views. The effects are very similar though. For Adrian's privacy, it doesn't really matter whether he gets talked about through thousands of posts on twitter and blogs and through fora, or through a more 'official' article of a one in a dozen pop culture site focused on youtube. It all just brings more people to the pond.

I'm glad he's made a new video, I take it as an indication that he's going to continue making video's even now it has become very obvious 'the fandom has arrived'. Finding his own audience that isn't in any way related to the fandom is I think almost mission impossible, but I do think plenty of people pick up a genuine interest in him or his content, even though they initially know of him only trough his brother. I don't think that's wrong though. That's just how it is, it's no different in life in general. If you have famous family and you do something that's even remotely related to what they do, you'll have that person hanging over you like a shadow in everything you do :shrug: Maybe in the long run, he'll build his own reputation and there will slowly start to exist Adrian fans who'll have to discover that he has a brother who makes youtube video's too, like once a year or something :mrgreen:
kavat
pastel persona

Stakhanov wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:30 am Yea, I agree We The Unicorns is a mixed bag. They just remind me of basically every (digital) pop magazine ever. It's gossip, pure and simple. Basically we do the same on this forum right, be it that we're not making a business out of it and individuals sharing our views. The effects are very similar though. For Adrian's privacy, it doesn't really matter whether he gets talked about through thousands of posts on twitter and blogs and through fora, or through a more 'official' article of a one in a dozen pop culture site focused on youtube. It all just brings more people to the pond.
I don't think it's fair to compare IDB to WTU here. This is a forum to discuss Dan and Phil related topics and occasionally other youtubers, while WTU is a site that writes about youtubers in general and occasionally Dan and Phil related things. Most people here already know who Adrian is and his history with the social media world, while the WTU article has the chance to give exposure to a lot of people who are not part of the phandom. If would be just a "look at this new youtuber who happens to be related to Dan Howell" kind of article it would be one thing, but they also bring up his history online to a whole new audience. It feels like stirring up old crap that should be in the past, and it probably makes it a little more difficult for Adrian to move on and do his own thing if he keeps being associated with that part of his life.

I do think it's great that he's doing his own thing and I hope he finds a respectful and nice audience. He seems like a decent guy and even if his videos aren't my cup of tea I think he could do all right on the platform.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Based on his most recent ig post/stories over the last couple days, it looks like he's already raking in the #spon! The company looks like a perfect fit for him.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

kavat wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:51 am
I don't think it's fair to compare IDB to WTU here. This is a forum to discuss Dan and Phil related topics and occasionally other youtubers, while WTU is a site that writes about youtubers in general and occasionally Dan and Phil related things. Most people here already know who Adrian is and his history with the social media world, while the WTU article has the chance to give exposure to a lot of people who are not part of the phandom. If would be just a "look at this new youtuber who happens to be related to Dan Howell" kind of article it would be one thing, but they also bring up his history online to a whole new audience. It feels like stirring up old crap that should be in the past, and it probably makes it a little more difficult for Adrian to move on and do his own thing if he keeps being associated with that part of his life.

I do think it's great that he's doing his own thing and I hope he finds a respectful and nice audience. He seems like a decent guy and even if his videos aren't my cup of tea I think he could do all right on the platform.
I really think the people that know about Adrian in the fandom mostly know it through private chats and tweets and blogs about him, much more than WTU. When Adrian left his tumblr, the drama surrounding it had a much much wider reach and lasting impact than any article from WTU can. I learned of Adrian through discovering old tumbr posts. I learned of WTU only through the fandom too :lol: I would bet that the article that is being faulted is mostly read by fandom members who already know all about Adrian and are drawing in new people through voicing their disapproval, waking up many more who would have otherwise never read it.
IDB and WTU aren't the same thing, but I think it's fair to compare them in some aspects. Especially when it comes to the difficulty Adrian has to do his own thing and not being associated with Dan, I would say the effect is very much the same and IDB and their userbase contributes at least as much to this association as one article. WTU isn't a publication with an audience of millions after all, the article will generate maybe a couple of thousands clicks? The combined outreach of just a couple of Adrian tweets i saw is much larger.

Yes i hope he finds his own audience that is primarily or at least equally interested in him and not just his brother. He's got unique opportunities, that's for sure, and if he's willing to pursue them more professionally I'm ready to embrace that. Personally, if I wanted to start a channel and my brother had an audience of millions (or the other way around), i would collab quicker than anyone could say [Hi] My name is ... [Adrian]. There's very likely an audience for it, he's already at 30k and that's without any push from his bro and it'd feel more rewarding to talk about my passions than doing extra hours at (office) jobs.
Ablissa
pastel persona

I kinda avoided Adrian's content because it's not my jam, but youtube decided to say no, you're gonna watch Adrian, and recommended me his latest video:

And... I have to say it's his first one that I kind of enjoyed. He was rather chill, laughed a lot, and didn't seem pretentious to me. What do you all think?
(one thing that I disliked was the wind in the mic, but that's not really his fault)
goodbants
drama llama
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Ablissa wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:15 pm I kinda avoided Adrian's content because it's not my jam, but youtube decided to say no, you're gonna watch Adrian, and recommended me his latest video:

And... I have to say it's his first one that I kind of enjoyed. He was rather chill, laughed a lot, and didn't seem pretentious to me. What do you all think?
(one thing that I disliked was the wind in the mic, but that's not really his fault)
It really wasn't bad! I do agree that it was less pretentious than his other videos and it felt more genuine to me. It's weird, both him and Dan remind me so much of different aspects of myself. I'm more like Adrian when I'm less depressed and I really love life. I was actually exactly like Adrian a couple years ago. I was vegan and loved nature and the vibe he gives off was just so similar. I can relate to Dan more now, though.

It's insane really how much both of them remind me of myself at different points in my life. I feel like both of them had some sort of awakening at around the same age, but it just manifested in different ways. Dan's existential crisis at 20 caused him to follow what he loved and life really changed for him, and I feel like the same is happening for Adrian, it's just more hippy-ish and spiritual. I feel that so much cause the same happened to me when I was 14.
:sparkle: this was the most fun i've ever had :sparkle:
Stakhanov
haru pillow

He seems to developing his channel a bit (I think he already has more vids than dinof in 2018 :| ). I like his video's, they're calming and the views are good and I do like his shower thoughts, even if I can't really relate to the the whole self-improvement semi-spiritual message, which I don't think he really tries to proselytize for but which shines through a bit.
I'm just interested in hearing his views, he's got plenty of charm and I don't find him arrogant at all. I think just like his brother he just has a way of talking and a certain accent and background that can make him sound posh articulate.
It just shows he's from a middle class household from some Southern English suburban sprawl :lol:

I hope you're doing ok goodbants. Just going intuition (cuz the fuck do we really know about his mental health) I think Adrian does face his own struggles (mayhaps there is a genetic component, cfr his uncle) and you can read some of the stuff he says as allusions to that. He's his own person of course so he deals with it in his own way and physical exercise, nature and exploration seem to be a (big) part of it.

I hope he does more lifestyle vlogging and Q&A type things. I would like to see a mix of personal content combined with a hike or other similar slow content.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

According to his IG story he's now got a running gear sponsor and he's doing the go pro sponsorship. I wonder how much getting good tech and gear was a motivation for doing youtube? Because he definitely dived right into the profit-making side of it. No hate, like take advantage of what gets offered to you, dude. But it's also very clear it's not entirely 'love of the art.'
citizen_erased
truth bomb

I'm not a big fan of Adrian's most recent video about losing weight and being vegan, BUT, I do appreciate that one of the suggestions youtube gives me to watch after this one is D&P's pizza mukbang :lol: :lol: it's like,

Adrian: you should eat healthy wholefood vegan things and do lots of outside sports and look at how healthy I am
Dan: PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA :clapping:

(jk I know dan eats vegan a lot and does actually do sports of some sort sometimes. but the difference in online branding is really funny to me for some reason. )
dans left hand
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

honestly dont watch him, have tried but really not interested in his content, dont even care that hes dan's brother. dont follow him either on anything, again not even for the fact he's dans brother. still watch d&p though sometimes
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

I find it so interesting that so many IDB'ers have chosen to make the point, both here and in the main threads, that they don't like Adrian's videos. Certainly nobody is being mean about it; the motivation seems more about wanting to make clear that just because one is a fan of Dan (and Phil) does not mean one is a fan of Adrian.

I initially watched Adrian's videos out of curiosity, and now I watch them because I enjoy them. I don't actually watch a lot of YouTube, and Adrian's content fits in with what I enjoy well enough, so why not.

Some people have voiced concern about Adrian giving nutritional advice to impressionable people (especially young women/girls) in the course of his passionate embrace of veganism. I'm not sure what I think about that. As a long-time vegetarian (and maker of my own meals) I appreciate where he is coming from, and am disposed to be inspired by some of the dishes on his Instagram account veganadrian. I am impressed by his commitment to a fully vegan diet with very little processed/junk food (at least that he shows us!).

I do have some objections to some of his claims about nutrition. For example, he sautes in water because fats/oils "have no nutritional value". That's not actually true: there are important micronutrients (like vitamins D and E and omega-3 or omega-6 fatty acids) that are found exclusively or primarily in fats. And of course the calories in fats are nutritional (even if most of us have no need for those calories). Similarly, Adrian's made the claim that you don't need to worry about getting enough protein on a vegan diet. That's true, assuming you are eating some nuts/seeds/legumes/grains, but not necessarily true if you are eating primarily broccoli, beetroot, and sweet potatoes.

That being said, I don't know how damning it is that Adrian makes careless statements that could have heath consequences if they are taken literally or to extreme. (Of course, I would prefer that he dispense the most accurate nutritional information possible, in his own charming, enthusiastic way. :tu:) My take is that he's just a YouTuber sharing his opinions, and I'm not going to uncritically accept any claim he makes; but I realize I am not the typical audience for his videos.

All this makes me think of Emily Hayward, who seemed universally beloved, and is certainly sorely missed. :love1: She too spent a fair amount of time in her videos talking about food, both with respect to her cancer and especially in the context of fitness and weight training. I found some of her statements about nutrition suspect--I particularly didn't like her emphasis on highly-processed shakes and drinks and bars, with the sometime implication that the only way to eat properly is through those products. I am in no way trying to diss Emily (I take her pronouncements on nutrition with the same grain of salt as Adrian's). I do find it interesting that I have seen little to no concern about Emily telling people how to eat, in contrast to the concern about Adrian doing it.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."