Dan & Phil Part 76: i can't i don't have legs

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
rem
not a first-time poster
Pronouns: they/them

I totally agree with what @alittledizzy said. They've gone about their careers smartly and have built a very sturdy foundation - slight changes in their subscriber/view counts isn't going to hurt them. I think 2019 is going to be a very interesting year for them; they'll have their first real long term break since late 2014/early 2015, and both have really grown in so many aspects over the course of 2018. Their content is really likely to shift in its nature, and I hope it does, especially for Phil - he's such a creative person, and I'm hoping this fresh next chapter of their careers (and lives) will give him the confidence/encouragement/desire to try some new things on AmazingPhil.
(lol also hi, im rem and this is my first official comment on idb! im excited to keep talking about this stuff w/ y'all)
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

hello @rem ! welcome!
i haven't talked about this but i LOVE reading all your posts!
like some people said, i'm really enthusiast about the future and i don't worry at all! i just cant wait for what's to come!
:gayaf:
autumnhearth
senpai
Pronouns: she/her

@rem :welcome: fellow Ohioan!

I don’t think this was mentioned here, there is an adorable thread of Phil and corgis that Dan liked on Twitter.
There are 20 more over there.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

ik this relevancy convo is sorta dying out, but i just wanna say: if you argue that dnp are losing relevancy or "selling out" just because they're not on the trending page (which is absolutely rigged and very selected)
i would like to remind those people (no one on here) that Jake Paul, a current Hot Youtuber Topic, did a tour with "Team 10" that was a massive flop, wase of money, horribly constructed and planned, and he had this weird segment where he started making out with his girlfriend over some shitty music on stage?? it was a disaster (if anyone cares to see a review of it, look up Drew Gooden team 10 tour on yt)
i wouldn't rely on the youtube trending page to measure the success or relevancy of someone.
i think it's the least of dnp's worries that they don't get as many views. they're good at saving money, marketing, organizing (sorta.)
their careers aren't in any danger.
if they wanted to go viral, then they absolutely have the ability to. right now i think they are pretty comfortable and like having the long-term and loyal viewers around much more than the casuals. (it's not bad to be a casual viewer btw, i'm just saying losing subs is the least of their worries)

take a shot every time i use parentheses.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
hello9217
flower crown

Slightly off topic but when are we getting that "bonus video" of dnp answering questions from the tour bus and I wonder whose channel it will go up on? They probably will put it up when they can officially announce where the video is going *cough cough Netflix* I could see that going up on Phil's channel since dan posted both the tour trailers. If it's not that then I have no clue what Phil's next video could be. He really can go in any direction he wants to.

As for Dan I can see his next video being about a tweet he liked on twitter a month or so ago
Kind of discussing why he's been away for awhile and maybe even talking about the progression he hopes to see in his channel as he closes this chapter in his life as tour is now over.
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

I've been following the discussion on deppy's relevancy etc. with great interest, many great points that I won't be repeating, but all this time I've been meaning to bring up the Guardian article on burn out on youtube that I read a couple of days ago and I couldn't find the time to do it. I don't have much of it now either, so I won't go into details, but for fear of losing relevancy now myself here it is: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... k-stressed to put it very shortly, I feel like mental health considerations (as in "general well-being", not Dan's situation specifically) play a big role in how Dan and Phil currently approach threir workload and looking at all these other youtubers I couldn't be any happier for them. If it means fewer uploads or no regular iveshows, so be it. And I'm very glad to see many people on here have the same opinion instead of demanding that deppy maintain the same upload rate as in 2012, when they were 6 years younger and, dare I say, generally unhappy.
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
liola
rankussy

For me it will always come down to, Dan and Phil know their audience - and by that I don't just mean the viewers, but the actual audience of people they want to appeal to. Views are not the only thing, engagement is a big part, and while the phandom has weakened in strength (thank god, I really think it did more bad than good in dnp's reputation of what they could attract) the engagement of comments and likes is still really high - higher than a lot. And that's important. They know who they cater to but most importantly they know who they WANT to cater to.

As for subs and casual viewers, one thing that we gotta remember is that YouTube changed, the changes in algorithm have made viewers less appreciative of the platform as a whole and all the scandals don't help. A lot of views come from bots and YouTube itself is trying to do everything to maintain users. Dan and Phil's scenario isn't apocalyptic at all, it's a small and pretty neutral look inside a way more negative picture, but the two shouldn't be mixed.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

coffeepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:14 pm I've been following the discussion on deppy's relevancy etc. with great interest, many great points that I won't be repeating, but all this time I've been meaning to bring up the Guardian article on burn out on youtube that I read a couple of days ago and I couldn't find the time to do it. I don't have much of it now either, so I won't go into details, but for fear of losing relevancy now myself here it is: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... k-stressed to put it very shortly, I feel like mental health considerations (as in "general well-being", not Dan's situation specifically) play a big role in how Dan and Phil currently approach threir workload and looking at all these other youtubers I couldn't be any happier for them. If it means fewer uploads or no regular iveshows, so be it. And I'm very glad to see many people on here have the same opinion instead of demanding that deppy maintain the same upload rate as in 2012, when they were 6 years younger and, dare I say, generally unhappy.
To go alongside that Tom Scott recently did a short series on ‘How to be popular on the internet’ which was really interesting.
Here’s the third video about virality which was essentially the 2014 boom. I think D&P avoided most of this by diversifying but it’s interesting to consider why they are not desperately trying to be ‘relevant.’ All three videos are interesting.

Also on the Matt and Tom channel they did a video about making money on YouTube.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
annoying dog
crusty sponge

This isn't super related to dnp but the current discussion reminded me of this video I saw yesterday and really enjoyed, so I thought i'd share it in case anyone else found it interesting.

Amiaw
interactive introvert

I haven't watched "Trying to Live My Truth" in awhile but didn't Dan say that he'd thought about trying to grow his subscribers when he was thinking about his future? If he included that in the video then there is a really strong chance that Dan and Phil have had a serious conversation about where they want their Youtube career to go. I'm very excited for Spooky Week/Pinof/Gamimgmas season but I think I'm even more excited for 2019 and for seeing what the boys have in store.
hello9217
flower crown

Amiaw wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:17 pm I haven't watched "Trying to Live My Truth" in awhile but didn't Dan say that he'd thought about trying to grow his subscribers when he was thinking about his future? If he included that in the video then there is a really strong chance that Dan and Phil have had a serious conversation about where they want their Youtube career to go. I'm very excited for Spooky Week/Pinof/Gamimgmas season but I think I'm even more excited for 2019 and for seeing what the boys have in store.
Sort of. He said he goes back in forth over what his dreams are. Sometimes he feels like he should upload casual videos more frequently to grow his audience whereas other times he thinks he should go back to university. So it is probably something he thinks about but not something he actively is doing. I do agree that dan and phil sit down and discuss their future plans. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't one of them mention in a ls that at the start of every new year they sit down to talk about their goals for the upcoming year?
random
crusty sponge

Since the tour is wrapping up soon, how successful do you think it was vs bour?
tatinof vs ii?
spoilers for ii below!
So, I think overall, thought ii went to more places, I'm pretty sure tatinof sold better. tatinof was more of an experiment, they carefully judged the response with their initial uk shows and then decided to expand. tatinof was more of a celebration of deppy as a brand in the past, going through all the classics. ii feels more like what their brand will be in the future, while tatinof was a nostalgia trip. i do think that tatinof had more substance. while some may find it more cringe than ii, it actually had a lot of content. ii is more of an audience participation type of show (breaking the branding with x rated lester and whole howell), but most of the responses are pretty standard/repetitive across cities. ii however gave us the phil lester diss track which was nice. idk, i don't think deppy will tour again for a few years.
unrelated question: why are deppy able to make gaming videos more regularly than regular main channel vids? gaming vids have all the complicated card capture stuff, along with double the editing. phil's videos, at the very least his recent ones, sound a lot less time intensive/editing filled than the dpg vids...???
Ablissa
pastel persona

random wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:30 pm unrelated question: why are deppy able to make gaming videos more regularly than regular main channel vids? gaming vids have all the complicated card capture stuff, along with double the editing. phil's videos, at the very least his recent ones, sound a lot less time intensive/editing filled than the dpg vids...???
I think that there are a few reasons for it. One, gaming videos must be rather low effort for them: they just sit down and play, bants come naturally, there's no loose script etc. Two, no props are needed. Three, they probably enjoy making them most of the time. Four, I'd imagine they take less time to film and edit, because again, they're just sitting down and playing a game.

@ on topic - I've been loving the discussion here over the past two days! I agree with a lot of the points that have been made and just overall I enjoyed reading your thoughts, everyone. <3
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

If you need some Dan and Phil to tide you over while we wait to hear about the next video or liveshow, @itasca00 has been amazing and stepped in to do a few of the recent show transcripts. Auckland, the second Sydney show, and Singapore are up here.
opendoor
rainbow nerd

Youtube really has changed recently-it's flooded with vloggers with good cameras and editing skills. And reaction vlogs are a thing people watch, for some reason! (I feel like a youtube- grandma)

I think it's not all or nothing- they could do a bit to bring more people in, without completing selling out.

If it was me I'd just cultivate the intense fanbase forever, cause hey, it keeps you popular, but there are other approaches.
I'm interested to see what dnp's plan is. :thumb:
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

i honestly think its a lot better to have and be in a smaller yet thriving fandom than in a big one. in more convenient terms, its a lot better to control and organize. everybody is more or less on the same page. theres less likely to be "in-fighting". sure, the maturity of the audience helps too but for the most part, everyone is happy. bigger fandoms usually attract "loud" people who are usually are the ones responsible for sullying the fandom's image. ive lived through "big" fandoms myself and most of my friends did too and are still in "big" fandoms, so i have no shortage of horror stories to tell.

going back to dnp, i do think its much more desirable for them to shape their fandom to their own liking - culling the weak, so to speak. theyd rather have fans that will like them for who they are than ones who dont really care, and i think this is where they are getting at with their overall theme for 2018. they want to find that balance between our wants and their wants. them losing subscribers/fans is fine because at the end of the day, the ones who come back or stay are the ones that matter to them.
"you are next to me in my life"
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

theory: in the future, dnp will purposely make lazy, terrible, lackluster content and whoever is still stanning them in 5-10 years gets to be adopted by them. imagine being in your late 20's at the very least, living under dan and phil's authority. they'll forget to water and feed you. you finally die. that is the yee-haw dream, folks!
the only dnp x reader fic that matters.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:54 am If you need some Dan and Phil to tide you over while we wait to hear about the next video or liveshow, @itasca00 has been amazing and stepped in to do a few of the recent show transcripts. Auckland, the second Sydney show, and Singapore are up here.
I may or may not be going through a bit of Dan and Phil withdrawal after doing those transcripts... :philtrash: To help fill the void, I've quoted some of my favorite parts below with a bit of bolding and some annotations.
itasca00 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:43 pm Auckland - 29 August 2018
Truth Bombs
- DIY your own coffin
P: I mean, it would be black. Wouldn’t it?
D: And that, everybody, is a big mood right there. Okay. Literally me right now. *fake laugh*
P: It would be black and smell of trash.
(After Phil said this, there were a few seconds of silence, and I can just imagine Dan looking at Phil with an amused look of betrayal like he did here: [14:47].)

Real Conversation Time
(The audience went wild when Phil finished reading this question. I presume it was because the person who asked this question was named Ben, and the question referenced a male crush. In addition to the answer itself, I found it interesting that Phil changed Ben's crush's pronoun to "they.")
I have a crush, but I don’t think I’m cool enough for him. Will I be a lonely nerd forever?
P: Oh! Ben!
D: It’s--Look. Okay.
P: I mean, if they don’t love you for being a nerd, then they’re not worth it anyway!
D: Yes! Exactly! Thank you! That is the right answer. You should never change yourself for anybody, okay.
P: No.
D: You go up to that person, and you say, “Do you like watching Yuri on Ice and crying at 4am? ‘Cuz if you don’t, you don’t deserve me!” Okay, because, as we established, the people are yee’ing. There’s probably some weird anime-watching weirdos out there, so you do you, Ben. We love you for who you are.
P: Yeah. So, good luck with that.
D: I feel like you actually just gave good advice there. Well done, Phil!
itasca00 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:14 pm Sydney - 3 September 2018
Truth Bombs
Joint Dan and Phil question: If they released a fragrance, what would it be called?
- dreams and memes
P: I like that one!
D: That is accurate, right there.
P: I would buy that!
D: Would you?
P: Coming to dan and phil shop!
D: Which meme would it smell like, though? That’s the question. Okay.
*audience yells*
P: Pepe.
D: Pepe. You’re ri--slimy frog. That’s the Phil part. Right.
P: Hey!

Wholesome Howell and X-Rated Lester
Dan - the sun exploding
D: What? Okay, actually. You know what, Maddie, this is an easy one. Well, what is definitely the worst thing about our universe? Humanity. I like that. There we go. Exactly! No. We have been a civilized society for so long, and look what we’ve done to the place. We’re probably going to take away--killing all the animals. I say: the sooner the sun explodes and destroys all life in the Milky Way, the better for the rest of the universe. Right? So, Mr. Sun, if you are up there listening right now, I say, “Crisp me up, Daddy. I’m ready to go.” Thank you. Thank you.

Friendship Test
Dan and Phil Dilemmas
Phil's dilemma: Dan’s buddy is in London, but Phil has to lose a finger.
D: (aside, after he’s read the first part of the dilemma) Finally, hashtag Dick will be real.
P: What!? I mean, to be honest, if you’re not going to have giant ears, I’m not gonna chop my finger off.
D: You would not chop off a finger for me?
P: No!
D: Take this, Phil. Bad friend! I cannot believe you would not lose a finger for me to have a selfie with somebody.
P: Oh, my goodness.
D: What a bad person. Literally.
P: I need each of my fingers for different reasons.
D: I literally don’t think you even intended anything weird by that.
P: No.
D: Okay, there we go.
itasca00 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:52 pm Singapore - 15 September 2018
Truth Bombs
(A person named Jasmine asked this question.)
Dan's question: What does Dan dream about at night?
- serotonin
P: Wow… Wasn’t enough for TomSka. We had to have it again.
D: Damn… Okay, uh, well, you know what, just because it’s only facts, I’m gonna give it to Jasmine. There we go!

Wholesome Howell and X-Rated Lester
Dan - humanity
D: No! No! Hu--humanity is the worst thing about our solar system! Are you kidding me?
P: Ugh. Why is it the worst thing?
D: Adklsfldsyb! Frickin’ polluting the earth and killing all the animals, and there is nothing that--Okay. You are asking me to stand here right now and say something nice about how all humans have a good side and how we’re a good thing and how inside us we all have souls and are beautiful and--No, humans are garbage! I refuse!

Friendship Test
Dan and Phil Dilemmas
Phil's dilemma: Phil’s houseplants will live forever, but Dan will literally be a plant.
P: Oh, my gosh!
D: Okay. So, just so we’re clear, I would be dead. Okay. I would--I wou--
P: You wouldn’t! You’d be a plant! I’d water you! I’d take care of ya. Put ya in the sunshine.
*audience says, “Aww!”*
D: Phil! Wh--Why!? Have you seen this man? Loki. Loki. Infinity War. Loki. Cactus.
P: Oh, my gosh.
D: Exactly! This is not an “aww” situation. This is a, “Dear, God! Protect Dan from this monster!”
P: Right. Dan... I mean, as much as I want my plants to live forever--
D: Why do you sound like you’re thinking about this? Come on.
P: I wouldn’t turn you into a plant.
D: Aww! He wouldn’t! Thank you.
P: There you go.
D: Wait, [unintelligible]. I didn’t get to shock you!

Real Conversation Time
Hi, Dan and Phil. What is your favorite thing about Singapore, lads?
D: Oooh. Okay. Nice and relevant.
P: I mean, obviously I love the Merlion.
D: Yes, exactly.
P: Um.
D: Amongst the shrubbery, you have [unintelligible] here also. Okay.
P: As I said earlier--
D: Yeah.
P: --there’s lots of plants everywhere and trees. It’s all so beautiful.
D: Definitely.
P: Yeah? It’s all very clean as well. Isn’t it?
D: Yeah. Tot--I mean, that’s my--Honestly, Singapore is so clean!
P: It is.
D: It’s like, so clean! And I’m saying that because London is so gross. It’s like, literally. I feel like, in Singapore, I could just lick the floor.
P: Dan.
D: And...the--I--I would be infecting the floor.
P: Dan! You’re ruining--
D: I feel like I could cook lunch on the floor and just get naked on the floor. And then lick the floor--
P: Stop it! No! You’re ruining--
D: --and it would make me healthier.
P: You’re ruining--
D: Okay. Sorry. Sorry.
P: --the Singa-floor!
D: I’m gon--Uhhh… Where is that electric shock when we need it?

P: But, no. There is one other thing that I like about Singapore, and that is all of you guys!
D: Awww! *barfing sound* Okay. He said it.
P: Right.
D: He’s right. Nice one. Cheap, easy score there, Phil.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
starwatersong
phabergé

I mean, I think a great example of Dan and Phil's influence compared to other YouTubers is when Caspar, Joe, and Dan were at the YouTube Live thing in December (UK on Stage).

In their live show before the event, Joe and Caspar mentioned boxing/fighting Dan and Phil before commenting that they would get murdered by fans if they harmed them (reworded by me). Both of them have way more subscribers (at the time as well) than D&P, but it shows other YouTubers get the influence Dan and Phil have as well as the connection with the fans. Just thought that was interesting.
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

ratlad wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:38 am theory: in the future, dnp will purposely make lazy, terrible, lackluster content and whoever is still stanning them in 5-10 years gets to be adopted by them. imagine being in your late 20's at the very least, living under dan and phil's authority. they'll forget to water and feed you. you finally die. that is the yee-haw dream, folks!
the only dnp x reader fic that matters.
jokes on you, we ARE already dan and phil's children - maybe not legally but in spirit
and we are currently in the middle of (tour) content drought (not too bad tho, they do sprinkle some insta stories as fertilizer) so ill be waiting for my death by the end of this year i guess

chop chop boys, my casket is ready
"you are next to me in my life"
kavat
pastel persona

I can't believe there's only one more show until the tour is over. They've been gone for so long but it still feels like they did the first show like two weeks ago. Remember after that first show when Dan posted ty ly bb? Celebrating with food on their hotel bed and everyone went crazy? I feel like we've gotten so close to them during these months thanks to insta stories, being able to follow them along on a whole new level, but still very much on their terms. The've been able to show us so much of their life, how they interact with each other and the world when there's no script or editing.
Sorry I'm sappy today :happytears:

Now I have to mentally prepare for the drought that will come with Pyjama Week and Editing Cave and before they have the time and energy to start making videos at home again.

I know there's TBC left but I think it's likely that they'll do them efter the movie is released like they did with tatinof Euroupe, otherwise people would have very short notice to buy tickets.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

kavat wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:18 am I can't believe there's only one more show until the tour is over. They've been gone for so long but it still feels like they did the first show like two weeks ago. Remember after that first show when Dan posted ty ly bb? Celebrating with food on their hotel bed and everyone went crazy? I feel like we've gotten so close to them during these months thanks to insta stories, being able to follow them along on a whole new level, but still very much on their terms. The've been able to show us so much of their life, how they interact with each other and the world when there's no script or editing.
I feel this on a spiritual level. Actually, I'm finding myself invested in them even more since they've started ig stories and I know they said they will still post stories once they get home, but i live in fear they won't. I'm so used to get at least one story a day from them, it would be weird not to get anything for days. I hope they realize that they don't necessarily need to go out and do stuff to catch our interest, even a story of what they eat for breakfast would be enough (I mean, it would for me).
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
tigertatze
living flop

The instastories are hands down my favorite content by them tbh I really hope they'll keep it up somewhat regularly even when they don't travel somewhere else every day anymore
#nohetero
autumnhearth
senpai

I mean I agree with the above, but the most recent content from Phil is toilet phones...

Also @ the mods there are four threads of spam that were posted overnight.