Discussion of Fics We're Currently Loving

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

LadyLackless wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:44 pm
Susanisnotafish wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:04 am I hope this adds something to this sub forum from another perspective. I have been on a break from Idb for a while both to avoid II spoilers and bc I get overwhelmed by the intensity of this place. I decided to pop back in and get some fic recs and I find this! I was interested both bc of the usual high quality discussion and as a fan of Ashley. But I didn’t get any fic recs and I found out things here are still pretty intense for me. Glad this place exists, but also I can’t let myself get in too deep.
Sorry that you find this place too intense!

If it helps, this is the thread where we scream about ongoing fic / WIPs that we are loving. There is a separate thread which is purely fic recs: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=62&start=700
Thank you!
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
chatterbox
tol bean

@susanisnotafish I totally get what you’re saying and it’s fine to take a break from websites that you usually turn to relax if they’re getting a bit intense, but I would also say don’t give up on this forum completely because most the time (at least from what I’ve seen in my few months of lurkdom) it really is just people having a friendly chat about their fave fics. However I think in this case, given the gravity of the situation and the fact it was sort of kind of accidentally sparked by this forum, it was definitely a very important and necessary discussion to have.

If you’re still looking for fic recs, here are mine (some have already been recommended a few times but might have got buried a few pages back):
"Teenagers” by waveydnp and alittledizzy. Everyone and their mother is talking about this and for good reason! Dan and Phil’s individual personalities are amazingly well portrayed but at the same time I feel like this fic also captures the pretty universal awkwardness and confusion and angst (as in real-life “teen angst”, not the super-dramatic fanfiction genre “angst”) of being a teen. What makes this fic even better is that it has frequent updates (M/W/F) and the authors have said they’ve already prewritten over 100k and plan on making it really long. I'm so excited to see where they take this wonderful story.

“In the darkness, with you” by ablissa. This ticks so many boxes for me in terms of the kind of fics I love. It feels like a slow burn even though they’re having sex right from the first chapter, but like emotionally it’s a slow burn, because they’re very very gradually opening up and realising their feelings (or at least Phil is – it’s from Phil’s POV and honestly Dan is so infuriating and such an enigma but that’s why I’m so hooked, because I really want to know what’s going on in his head). Again, regular updates (Th/Su) and all prewritten so you don’t need to worry about it being abandoned.

“Blue Moon” by waveydnp has such a lovely warm atmosphere. It’s a super zoomed in oneshot that takes place over just one night. I reckon extremely long conversations might be difficult to integrate into most fics without causing problems with pacing, but it works so incredibly well here.

Also (hope it’s ok to rec an older fic here, I think this thread is meant for recent/ongoing fics?) I recently read “So Many Stars” by transdimenstional_void and it was incredible! I don’t think I’ve read another fic where the AU setting played such a central role. It was like this beautiful love letter to Japan and gave me some serious wanderlust.
kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

So... The latest chapter of Teenagers had me :happytears:

Drunk confessions? Sharing secrets? Sleepy cuddles? Yes, yes and yes. I was a little scared of how Phil would take it when he found out about Evie, but it turned out well. Now I just hope Dan has the guts to break up with her as soon and friendly as possible.
hello9217
flower crown

That new chapter just left me with such a big smile on my face. I love these two boys and drunk phil was such a cute delight. I can't wait to see if things will change once evie comes back from holiday. I know dan said nothing would change but that's easier to say when she's not actually there.
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

kavat wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:57 pm So... The latest chapter of Teenagers had me :happytears:

Drunk confessions? Sharing secrets? Sleepy cuddles? Yes, yes and yes. I was a little scared of how Phil would take it when he found out about Evie, but it turned out well. Now I just hope Dan has the guts to break up with her as soon and friendly as possible.
So many memories of being drunk on Malibu as a teenager! (Although pineapple juice is the superior mixer for Malibu, Dan, get it right... :lol: )

re: Evie, I’m torn, because I want Dan and Phil to get together and explore their newfound feelings asap but I don’t want Dan to be an asshole to her. This is the slow burn I signed up for!
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

kavat wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:57 pm So... The latest chapter of Teenagers had me :happytears:

i wanted to write about the latest chapter because, even if all the previous chapters were amazing, this one made me very emotional and, OH MY GOD, so. many. feels.

but you sum up my thoughts

so yeah i loved the ongoing trust about the drinking part and just, the general atmosphere and the acknowledgment that, 'yeah, something could happen', almost the feeling of 'yeah something will happen' and this is something i love so much in fics. when they're in dan's room, as a reader, it's like a heavy rock is lifted from my chest.

so yeah i loved this chapter. :love2:
:gayaf:
sonicgreen
woodland creature

Hi just here to yell again about “In The Darkness With You” and “Teenagers”. I’m loving both so much, two completely different stories but they’re emotionally feeding me so well.
Ablissa’s fic is amazing, and the very gradual opening up is such a nice feeling, its so well paced and I can’t wait to see what comes next. I also find a strange attachment to the way each chapter is titled, its a small detail but it feels very integral to the story.
Wavey and Dizzy’s fic is the sweetest of things, I’m all here for going back to the teenage years with all the emotional turmoil and internal conflict, but its easy to lose yourself in the “first love” themes of the story, all those sweet cuddles they convince each other are meaningless. Wow I’m loving it.

I’m holding out until they’re finished to discuss details about both fics because my current emotions are a mess :happytears:
Ataraxia25
flower crown

i need to yell about teenagers too! after this messy day this chapter was a blessed moment. it's so cute and real and full of real emotions and every single sentence is amazing. also i've been waiting for so long for a brilliant high school au and this is it! i genuinely cant wait for the rest of the fic!

(i also can't wait for "in the darkness with you" to be over because i want to read it in one go during my next holidays/down time, i haven't read a single word yet but i know i already love it so much)
kavat
pastel persona

I'm so excited about In the darkness right now. I can feel Dan starting to soften but he's still so hesitant. I really want to know what his deal is, is it just general low self esteem/depression or did something happen? When will he realize he's worthy of love? Soon I hope, because man I just want to punch him sometimes :lol:
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

kavat wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:02 am I'm so excited about In the darkness right now. I can feel Dan starting to soften but he's still so hesitant. I really want to know what his deal is, is it just general low self esteem/depression or did something happen? When will he realize he's worthy of love? Soon I hope, because man I just want to punch him sometimes :lol:
Same to all of that!! I want to smack both of their heads together because they're blind fools, but I also know that there has to be something going on with Dan and I'm so damn intrigued by it. I don't think I can wait until Thursday to hear what he's going to say to Phil's question (though I have a strong feeling it'll be yes :p). Also, I'm still stuck on the scene where they hold hands in chapter 11. It's just so fucking romantic, even though it's got that hint of sadness to it because of the ~rules, and I cannot get it out of my head.
kavat
pastel persona

obsessivelymoody wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:32 am
kavat wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:02 am I'm so excited about In the darkness right now. I can feel Dan starting to soften but he's still so hesitant. I really want to know what his deal is, is it just general low self esteem/depression or did something happen? When will he realize he's worthy of love? Soon I hope, because man I just want to punch him sometimes :lol:
Same to all of that!! I want to smack both of their heads together because they're blind fools, but I also know that there has to be something going on with Dan and I'm so damn intrigued by it. I don't think I can wait until Thursday to hear what he's going to say to Phil's question (though I have a strong feeling it'll be yes :p). Also, I'm still stuck on the scene where they hold hands in chapter 11. It's just so fucking romantic, even though it's got that hint of sadness to it because of the ~rules, and I cannot get it out of my head.
God yes, the hand holding made my heart ache. They obviously don't want to follow these stupid rules, can they just stop making it harder for themselves!

I also want to shout out Martyn, he's brilliant in this fic and any chapter with him and the girls is my fave.
kavat
pastel persona

In the darkness!deppy are idiots and don't know what's best for them and so so blind it's infuriating! Stop being so damn emotionally unavailable, Dan Howell! And Phil just needs to take a moment and listen to his heart (and Martyn)!
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon

Just here to flail about Teenagers, don’t mind me...
On that note, OHHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYY GODDDDDDDasjjdfjkfkf
sonicgreen
woodland creature

I’m so glad that Mandy and Sarah took enough pity on us that this amazing update wasn’t on a Friday. I love the progress we’re making, though my heart does ache for Dan and his confusion.
Ataraxia25
flower crown

omg the next chapter is gonna be...; guhjokplm;ùfe
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon

I know there is talk of watch parties for dnp videos in the main thread but I get the distinct sense that we’re all having unofficial “teenagers” new chapter drop parties every mon/wed/fri :D

I’ve definitely timed my lunch break to try and coincide with new chapters (mainly so I don’t have to hide in the toilet to read it)
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

Oh, my heart! <3 <3 <3
liola
rankussy

That update I'm djdkdkkckx <3 <3 <3 :happytears:
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
kavat
pastel persona

Oh my god. That was literally perfect. I'm going to read that a hundred times before monday. :happytears:
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

:happytears: :happytears: :happytears:

That's all I got for 'teenagers'. That's just me right now. They're cute and I'm dying. I literally had to put my phone down to yell and then reread to see if I had actually read that correctly lol
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I really wasn't expecting THAT to happen already but I'm so glad it did because it was just so perfect and so right. :happytears: In fact, the whole chapter was and I think I'm gonna re-read it a Lot until Monday.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
double dimple
smol bean

that chapter was literally the perfect way to end the week :happytears:
Ataraxia25
flower crown

like everyone else, it was perfect. just what i wanted. i thank the gods and by gods i mean mandy and sarah
liola
rankussy

Okay I don't even know where to start with today beautiful fic

In the darkness with you continues to have me hooked and screaming about how dumb they are and fjdjdkdk I hope Dan soon stops pulling back as well. I can't wait to see how that develops and I love Ablissa's writing, I want more and more :happytears:

Shapes and weights to choose though!! <3 God Dann came back with a banger of a chapter, I can't believe how perfect that was, totally worth the wait
i was kinda expecting Phil's rut but not for Dan's heat to sync up with him, that makes it almost romantic and I love that there was no aggressive sex and Phil was still somehow controlled and gentle ;_; and I love the final scene in the bower, especially since the first time it was presented as the perfect place to actually bond. I also loved that before Dan's heat hit he was already thinking that one day it'll happen :happytears: I

I'm almost scared of what's gonna happen next, I'm still waiting for Oliver to show up again but God I love this story so much.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Ataraxia25
flower crown

hum.. the last update of teenagers ended me? i need nothing more in life, i can die happy, it was so real and hot, i'm still in shock