IDB Watch Parties

A permanent home for threads that will no longer be updated.
Ablissa
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

@jesp and the rest of the mods, thank you for this subforum! Really helpful <3

Everyone made great suggestions, so I made a poll. I think we need to avoid watching things that will take 1-2 hours for now though. This one is meant to draw people in, so if it's too long they won't want to watch.
For that reason, I'm not including Mark of Oxin in the poll for this first phandom showing. I definitely want us to watch it though - maybe this weekend with just IDB?
@autumnhearth thanks for the playlist! I didn't pick any specific ones and just put them all as an option under "a few older ap/dinof videos". If this option wins we'll pick out some iconic ones. :ribena:

Please vote in the poll for the phanniversary: https://www.strawpoll.me/16616695

Also let's decide the following in regards to the phanniversary:
1. Are we focusing on one day or two? (as in Sat/Sun or just Sunday?)
2. Multiple showings a day or just letting people come in all day long? (might end up with it being a bit slow at times)

For our IDB weekend watch party (14th October), I'll make a separate thread to not make it more confusing here.
kavat
pastel persona

Ablissa wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:25 pm
2. Multiple showings a day or just letting people come in all day long? (might end up with it being a bit slow at times)
1: I vote for just one day to condense the discussion and keep it less complicated (timezones are a hassle as it is, I think adding more dates will just complicate it more)
2. I also vote for two times, I liked having a choice depending on what other plans I have that day. I don't have to feel like I missed the event if I could make it to the first one, if that makes any sense.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Ablissa wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:25 pm Also let's decide the following in regards to the phanniversary:
1. Maybe one day is better because we would all gather on the same specific day and that would bring more discussion;
2. Hmm, if there's a risk of getting a bit slow at times, then I think it would better with multiple showings.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
aralik
sad dimple

Hi,
Coming out from lurkdom to say how much I like the idea of the watch fest! Great ideas and input!! I missed the first one but hope I can watch along this weekend although I'm travelling.
@Ame I love the poster design! Wow! :tu: But didn't we say we'd call it phandom watch fest (and not party)? (I'm confused :hmmm: )
Voted for all the votable things and am excited! :6-year-old dan:
ugh.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

kavat wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:44 am
Ablissa wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:25 pm
1: I vote for just one day to condense the discussion and keep it less complicated (timezones are a hassle as it is, I think adding more dates will just complicate it more)
2. I also vote for two times, I liked having a choice depending on what other plans I have that day. I don't have to feel like I missed the event if I could make it to the first one, if that makes any sense.
+1
i also prefer just one day and multiple showings :)
:gayaf:
Ablissa
pastel persona

Thanks for your input everyone <3

So this is how I see it right now:
- We'll do the watch fest with the rest of the phandom on Sunday, Oct 21st
- Two showings - same times as we had last weekend?
- Use mostly IDB and supplement with twitter
- The videos: we have a problem, because in the poll, PINOF 1 vs PINOF 9 is winning by a large margin :lol: We can ignore that, just let me know if you're super against it.

- Idea for our IDB-only showing this weekend: Mark of Oxin?? Or do we keep that for phandom showings?
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

sorry ive been focusing on work these couple days and probably until the end of this week. also@aralik i can quickly fix that so no worries, i sitll need to put the info blurb on it anyway. im tryin g to write a short blurb for this but i can guarantee it being good since my brain is fried. if anyone wants to give it a shot, please feel free
"you are next to me in my life"
lesterchuu
philussy

pardon the double-posting but i want this poster to come out by this week, it just needs some proof-reading first. once its out, everyone here can post it to their social media.

this is what ive come up so far:

i wanted to include a dnp quote at the end there but idk if it flows nicely. if you guys can think of a better one, pls do. i also wanted to keep it very generalized and short so it works on any platform you post it to. people can add more info on their posts like the date (oct. 21st), what videos well watch, include working links to the forum thread and etc. i didnt include anything about the phanniversary in the poster cz i might make a separate thing for it. of course, once you post this, you can add something like "theme for this week is: phanniversary!"

also fixed the branding:

i made some twitter headers and icons too

(link to drive)

on a separate note -
i got a few questions, do we have a set day for the voting process? like, do we say every friday or saturday we vote? also, how do we decide on the themes? were ok with letting people post video suggestions here but are we doing two polls? one for themes and one for videos?

and are we set for doing a one day viewing (oct 21) for the phanniversary as opposed to two days (oct 20-21)? pros would be that we can include more videos to watch, cons would be it might drag too long? what do you guys think
Ablissa
pastel persona

@ame it looks so good :happytears:

Sorry for not writing the blurb for you - I was going to but was waiting on feedback about the 1 showings vs 2 and the 1 day vs 2 thing. Yours is really great though!!
One suggestion - I think we kinda agreed on having two showings for the phanniversary, because we don't want the conversation to get slow. Are you ok with that? (I'm only worried about people feeling awkward for the second showing, but there's also the thing that if it says only 2 pm, people might just ignore it if they can't make it at that hour... does that make sense?)

I also think one day (21st) would be better to not overwhelm people and just make a day of it.

As for voting, I'm really thinking I'll just make a separate thread for it, it gets buried here. Let's keep this for general discussion and suggest themes + vote in another thread, what do you all think?

Oh and I suggest only one person makes the post on each social media platform (tumblr/twitter) and then it gets reblogged or retweeted by all of us here. If we get a lot of notes on a post, it will be more noticed, as opposed to everyone having their own post with 10 notes. So when we've got all the details ready I (or anyone else) can post it and we pass it on.

Edit: I made a separate thread for voting. We need to finalize the vote for Oct 21st and decide on videos for Oct 14th.
Ablissa
pastel persona

Ugh I missed editing window and I see I forgot to reply to a part of your question @ame.
I'm thinking we need to decide on things way ahead of time if we're involving the rest of the phandom since the post will need some time to circulate.

So basically, we should already know what we're doing for Oct 28th by the time the phanniversary watch fest happens.

The question is do we want to do these with the phandom every week or say every 2 or 4 weeks? IDB is another thing of course, let's make that a weekly thing.
Ataraxia25
flower crown

congrats @ame everything looks amzing!!!

i like the idea of it being a weekly thing on idb and a monthly thing with the whole phandom!

maybe we should live the mark of oxin for when the phandom watch fest is running smoothly and i think the whole fandom should watch so that it gets more views

i'm actually upset that pinof 1 / pinof 9 is ahead in the votes :wahh: no but really, it's okay if we have to, i don't want to be a killjoy : )
Ablissa
pastel persona

Ataraxia25 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:27 am congrats @ame everything looks amzing!!!

i like the idea of it being a weekly thing on idb and a monthly thing with the whole phandom!

maybe we should live the mark of oxin for when the phandom watch fest is running smoothly and i think the whole fandom should watch so that it gets more views

i'm actually upset that pinof 1 / pinof 9 is ahead in the votes :wahh: no but really, it's okay if we have to, i don't want to be a killjoy : )
We don't have to! It's ultimately up to what you all want to see. I understand people wanting to leave PINOF for November. It's just a catchy theme to get us some interest.
We can just decide on one of the top 3 things from the vote. But we have to decide quick.

So since PINOF seems so controversial, can you all say what you'd rather watch for the phanniversary?
- PINOF 1 vs 9
- First ever DAPG video (+vs newer video? it has to be iconic tho)
- Apartment tour vs moving video

On another note, I made us a tumblr too - phandomwatch. Maybe we'll just make the posts on the phandomwatch accounts and we all reblog/retweet?
Ataraxia25
flower crown

i say "first ever DAPG video + newer one" ! :woohoo:

and yeah i think it's simple and efficient if we all retweet the tweet from the "main account" but should we also do more advertising on the side, like us talking about it on our twitter/tumblr account days prior to the event?
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I vote for first/newest dapg vids too!

And yay for the phandomwatch accounts, I think it's a brilliant idea. And I agree with @Ataraxia25on talking about it before the event starts, so we could gain more interest from people.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

I may be coming in too late on this (and you all have already been making it work anyway!) but I was wondering about the posted time zone. Isn't BST British Summer Time? I wonder if UTC would be better (or maybe just a footnote with UTC)? Especially since a lot of countries will have time changes soon, and the changes happen at different times in different countries.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
Ablissa
pastel persona

lefthandedism wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:12 pm I wonder if UTC would be better (or maybe just a footnote with UTC)?
This is a good idea, thank you!!(@ame this will need to be changed on the poster please! <3). We'll definitely need to add some time converter website in our post anyway.
So I propose 1 pm UTC and 7 pm UTC for our showings - this mirrors what we did last week.

@Ataraxia25 we should definitely start to get the hype going! Talk to your friends and tell them what we're up to so this doesn't flop hahaha (jk, even if it flops we'll keep doing it here on IDB! <3)

Okay everyone, I'm going to say something that just occurred to me earlier today and I want your feedback.
I feel like the themes for our phanniversary showing aren't strong enough :(
If we want to get people interested, then we should be watching some serious fan favorites on that weekend because everyone's going to want to discuss that. I'm sorry for the back-and-forth, I'm just getting attached to this project and I want it to succeed lol

So my question is - do we stick with the oldest vs newest DAPG theme for phanniversary orrr do we try to pick something more iconic that everyone will know and love? I'm okay with skipping PINOF if you don't want that, but maybe something else? Or we can just go with whatever we want and not focus on expanding too much which is fine by me as well.
lesterchuu
philussy

corrections for the general poster:

- change 2pm bst to 1pm utc
- change weekly to bi-weekly to keep it fresh and give us more time to suggest/vote on stuff
- maybe add "starts at 1pm utc but event is open all day so come join us at a time that suits your schedule." something like that

re: phanniversary

i originally wanted to suggest watching 4 videos (that means first showing will compare 2 videos, then second showing will compare another different 2 videos), but itll be too much to do on the same day so i was thinking of doing the first showing on oct 20th, then the second will be on oct 21st?

i think because were just starting to branch out, its safer to pick highly rewatchable videos with lots of nostalgia. id say save the dapg until the next one since all weve been getting are dapg videos from them recently, and stick to dinof and AP content for this one. im still biased towards the apartment video but a good contender would be other videos that mark a big change in their lives. why i changed my emo hair is a good one. we could also watch phil's predictions video and compare it to their current 2018? as for dan, his daniel and depression and trying to live my truth are really good ones. HECK, we can watch their childhood videos again.....ok im losing focus at this point now lol
hello9217
flower crown

If we are comparing videos, what about pinof 1 with GTPWTW or even the first ditl, which is manchester right?, with week in the life.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

i like @hello9217's idea of comparing the first ditl with week in the life. People love the ditl vids, so i think it would be a safe bet.

Or we could just rewatch the clip of Phil winning for Creator of the Year at the BONCAS for an hour, I mean... at this point i'm up for anything, guys!
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

glitterintheair wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:19 am i like hello9217's idea of comparing the first ditl with week in the life. People love the ditl vids, so i think it would be a safe bet.

Or we could just rewatch the clip of Phil winning for Creator of the Year at the BONCAS for an hour, I mean... at this point i'm up for anything, guys!
I mean, yes to that? :lol:

Also, super far in the future, but if this is still going at end of March/start of April - and I hope it is - then dnp Craft trilogy rewatch seems to be a natural fit? Although part of me wants to suggest a watch of Jam and Bill because I find that shit hilarious (clearly does not benefit actual dnp in any way though so, maybe not :D )
Ablissa
pastel persona

Excellent suggestions everyone! Thank you :)
It's now Friday, we have the IDB watch fest on Sunday, and it's time to clear this chaos and make some choices. Sorry for this back and forth, I'm sure things will run smoothly once we get over this first phandom showing on the 21st!

Quick summary of what's up and what we're doing - let me know if something doesn't sound good. Otherwise, I'm gonna advertise it in the main thread and you know, get this show on the road :)

If details don't interest you, you can skip to the TL;DR below
IDB Watch Fest - Sunday Oct 14th
- One meeting time at 1 PM UTC/2 PM BST - thread will stay open for 24 hours (we're trying this out upon request)
- The winning theme is Old gaming video (2014-2015) vs new gaming video (2017-2018)
- I took the liberty of making a poll with videos, if you want to suggest your own do so in the thread, otherwise VOTE for the videos!
- We will use IDB to discuss, and we will watch videos back to back. After a few hours I will post questions to keep the discussion going.
- Feel free to begin advertising to your friends and using the hashtag #phandomwatch to prepare for 21st!
Now for the phanniversary. This is where things get confusing because we all wanted different things. We will vote one last time on the phanniversary video, I hope you will participate, I don't want to decide for us all :)
IDB + Phandom Watch Fest (Phanniversary special wooo) Sunday Oct 21st
- Two meeting times - 1 PM UTC + 7 PM UTC (2 PM BST/8 PM BST) with the option to join in at any time you want
- Mostly forum based + hashtag #phandomwatch
- We will begin advertising it this weekend
- I really like the idea of watching their first DITL vs their latest week in the life. If some of us aren't happy with PINOF then maybe that is a good second option?
- Final poll for phanniversary - please vote! I'm including the more iconic options only so we get a good start!
TL;DR: Please vote for videos for Sunday Oct 14th, please vote one LAST time for phanniversary video, see you here on Sunday 1 PM UTC / 2 PM BST for some fun! <3
Ataraxia25
flower crown

i voted!
i cant wait!
thank again @Ablissa for all your hard work you're an angel
Ablissa
pastel persona

@Ataraxia25 Thank you!! But we're all discussing and arranging things, so this is a team effort! And of course @ame deserves so many thanks for all the work on the art side of things <3

Watch fest - Oct 14th Update
We are going to be watching First ever DAPG (Donkey Kong) + Stormy Ascent (Crash Bandicoot)! Thanks for voting everyone!
We're meeting tomorrow at 1 PM UTC/2 PM BST, watching the videos back to back, and then discussing them in the thread! If you can't make it at that hour just join in later during the day!

Watch fest - Oct 21st Update
We will be watching First DITL vs week in the life in honor of the Phanniversary! We'll have two showings: 1 PM UTC and then 7 PM UTC.

Hope to see you there tomorrow!! I'll make the thread in the morning :)
aralik
sad dimple

Oooh thanks for all the word guys! <3 :stan: I voted and am good with any outcome. Hopefully will manage watching the videos! Looking forward to watching and lurking in on your convos :coffee: :reading1:
ugh.
Ataraxia25
flower crown

i'm all set! i REALLY can't wait because 'stormy ascent' is one of my favourite videos :skeleton: