Dan & Phil Part 78: have the courage to exist.

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Catallena wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:48 pmSince living with Phil is the true horror (according to mister danyiff howl) I vote Spooky Week gets replaced with a week of DITLs so that we can see all those horrors. :thumb:
Oh shit, you're onto something there. Put this on reddit so we can all upvote it and Dan and Phil will actually see it.
knq
lava lamp

I'm so irritated that Dan didn't pick up the book in the basement. What kind of gamer is he? Sure he might have dropped the weapon he had and got grannied, but it was a book! Always pick up books.

Definitely a video full of cute moments. The tone of voice Dan uses while defending the quality of the chair (10:20) always gets me. <3 Other highlights: apparently sewing involves staples, it's disappointing that granny isn't a lesbian, child Dan is a rebel who will do whatever he wants but also hasn't done anything wrong and how dare you attack him like this, Dan immediately knowing that the pumpkin Phil threw at him was harder than Phil was expecting, Phil having fun with the light and 'stop having fun' with that level of fond(tm), 'yas' upon discovering the basement, pumpkins being dubbed 'pumpcos' and all the other word flubs.

I'm not a huge fan of the under chin light though, mostly because it didn't seem like it was centered.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

If it weren't for the bants, I would have been so bored. That game was truly awful. I liked the "grandma is a lesbian" bit, and I actually laughed at Phil saying "don't google 'extreme grandma'", but otherwise it was very meh. I also hope that they're getting the shitty games out of the way first, and +1 to a week of seeing the horrors of what it's like to live with Phil. I do love the way they stepped up their decoration game though!
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

it was a pretty alright video i guess. i hope the whole week isn't just crappy app games though
:transheart:
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple
Pronouns: She/her

I have a young niece who plays this all the time so I wasnt expecting anything scary, and sadly I was right lol.
They were cute and looked like they were having fun though and the decorations looked great. Here's hoping tomorrow's game is a little scarier :ghost:
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

I’m so excited for Spooky Week this year, and I thought this video was a great warmup! :candycorn: Those fifteen minutes went by really quickly for me, though, and I found myself wishing that the video had been longer. Anyway, here are my highlights:
  • [0:08] Phil opens the video by letting out an extended comical scream. Not to be outdone, Dan decides to say “spooky” in his own unique way at [0:20].
  • [0:30] Phil throws a pumpkin at Dan’s face, and it turns out that it’s not as soft as expected.
  • [1:03] I definitely don’t want to see any fun being had on DanAndPhilGAMES. This is a business. Let’s keep it professional. *awoos in a serious responsible businesslike manner*
    P: Sorry, I was having fun.
    D: Stop having fun! It’s not the meaning of the season.
  • [2:05] Dan lays down some strong opinions on his grandmothers. He says he thinks everyone has a nice grandma and an evil grandma. Phil seems somewhat mortified at the insinuation that either of his grandmothers weren’t nice.
  • [3:06] Dan finds lesbians impressive.
    P: And she’s ready to come out.
    D: She’s ready to come out?
    P: Give you a glass of milk.
    D: Granny’s a lesbian?
    P: She’s not a lesbian!
    D: Oh.
    P: She’s ready to climb out of the iPad with a glass of milk and feed it to you.
    D: Well, I guess that’s still impressive.
  • [3:16] No comment.
    P: Taste my milk, Daniel.
  • [4:34] I feel like this made Phil laugh way harder than it should have, but I’m not complaining.
    P: Never Google “extreme granny.” *laughs*
    D: The real horror is having to spend so much time with Phil.
  • [5:57] Dan is jumpscared, which jumpscares Phil. Dan’s scream is everything. :lol: After the initial scare, Phil hits Dan repeatedly on the arm. This is also everything.
  • [7:59] Why on earth was this a thing that Dan thought of?
    D: Come in, Granny.
    P: No.
    D: I’ll lick your ankles, and you won’t even know who did it.
    P: Don’t lick her ankles.
  • [8:10] I first took note of this moment because I thought what Dan said was funny, but Phil’s demeanor is also pretty cute.
    D: She’s sharpened her fingers. I mean, there’s having good nails. Then, there’s having great fingers.
    P: Shh, shh, shh.
    D: Granny’s got it. Where do you go for that?
    P: I’m scared.
    D: Give me the number for the salon.
  • [8:59] Dan and Phil are jumpscared again, and we get a good scream from Dan. :D
  • [9:46] Dan and Phil both gasp theatrically.
  • [10:27] Aww, Dan! :cry:
    D: Look, and, if your grandparents talk to themself, that’s fine. Sometimes you get lonely when you’re older.
    P: They do.
    D: Sometimes you get lonely when you’re younger.
  • [12:06] Dan and Phil are jumpscared again, but Dan suppresses his scream. :(
  • [14:24] Dan chops Phil in the face. Truly a great end to the video.
  • Curses! The merch links have both reverted to danandphilshop.com. :wahh:
  • General thought: I appreciated how Dan roleplayed throughout the video as a disobedient child interacting with his grandmother.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

didn't love the video tbh. app game was barely even spoopy and the bants were like... a 6.5/10. i don't especially love it when dan reaches to repeat a comment he knows we like (how messy phil is). it felt out of place and idk man. idk.

gimme some real spooks, boys. turn off lights. put on headphones. full immersion.
thespacecat
tol bean

When I got the notification I took a double take haha. I used to play this app a ton back when I first found it on the app-store, and once you get the hang of it it's an okay app to pass time with (though very stressful trying not to get caught ngl)... seeing them play this was almost surreal. Dan not knowing what he was doing was a little amusing, though he seemed pretty much done with the game after a few minutes of playing.

I'll be honest; I didn't quite like this video. I really hope they play at least one terrifying horror they will actually get into (just watched jacksepticeye play visage; I'd love to see them play something like that!). One of my favorite spooky week videos of theirs was PT because they were so into it. I'd love if it could be 40-50 minutes for immersion's sake; but I'd still be happy with 25 :)

I'm gonna guess that things are going to get scarier as the week progresses.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

rizzo wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:39 am didn't love the video tbh. app game was barely even spoopy and the bants were like... a 6.5/10. i don't especially love it when dan reaches to repeat a comment he knows we like (how messy phil is). it felt out of place and idk man. idk.

gimme some real spooks, boys. turn off lights. put on headphones. full immersion.
Based on the jumpcuts around that I have this feeling like it was less of a reach than it seemed but with the editing yeah it was kind of oddly placed as a moment in the video.
knq
lava lamp

alittledizzy wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:19 am
rizzo wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:39 am didn't love the video tbh. app game was barely even spoopy and the bants were like... a 6.5/10. i don't especially love it when dan reaches to repeat a comment he knows we like (how messy phil is). it felt out of place and idk man. idk.

Based on the jumpcuts around that I have this feeling like it was less of a reach than it seemed but with the editing yeah it was kind of oddly placed as a moment in the video.
The jump cut in the middle of the phil is messy discussion in the mukbang was also relatively long—though to be fair it was near the end of the mukbang and the cuts in general were just longer then. Personally I think we’re just being saved from the bulk of another ‘have I ever told you about the time phil stole my cereal’ type thing, so no complaints here. I figure they have less time to perfect their editing when they make a video every day as well.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

@itasca00 thank you so much for your timestamps :love2:
:gayaf:
Birdie
blobfish

I’m probably the only one who doesn’t want too many really scary games, lol. I’d prefer “real” games too but I’d like to see more stuff like Hide and Shriek from last year. It was Halloween themed but not scary. I’d also like to see less gross, gory horror and more atmospheric scary games if that makes sense. It’s too bad they don’t play adventure games because there are a lot of dark scary ones (Has anyone played “The Black Mirror”? It’s old af but a Halloween go to for me) that would be perfect for Halloween but I get that adventure games take up too much time and can’t be properly shown in a 20 minute video.

But yeah, I’d like more actual, not app or browser games but they don’t have to be gory, just Halloween themed or spooky. I didn’t watch half of last year’s spooky week videos because these gory horror games just turn me off so quick and I hope they’ll find a good mix this year.

Yesterday's video was fun but idk, I also wish they'd played a more serious game. Spooky week always feels really short anyway and I'd like to see more actual scary/spooky/Halloween themed games that I might actually want to play myself.

(by the way, I finally see the spooky banner, it's amazing! :skeleton:)
karma_yeah
philussy

Katka wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:15 am(by the way, I finally see the spooky banner, it's amazing! :skeleton:)
Me too! Thanks so much for all the hard work that goes into the forum :candycorn:

I haven't had a chance to watch the whole thing yet, and tbh, I'm not really into the spooky games; I watch for the bants :D . But I'm looking forward to 5 days of videos! :pumpkinphil:
What goes around, comes around Image
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

@Ataraxia25 You're welcome! :D

It makes me so sad that the video yesterday didn't do it for so many people! I'm trying to go about my weekend like normal, but I keep getting a rush every time I remember that it's Spooky Week. I haven't been this excited since I went to see Interactive Introverts, and I definitely wasn't expecting to feel this way. I hope today's video helps more people feel the same way I do!

:skeleton: :skeleton: :skeleton: :skeleton: :skeleton: :skeleton:
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
kavat
pastel persona

I'm a bit meh about spooky week, I don't really like scary things or loud sudden noises and screams. But I do really like daily uploads, so I'm definitely into it because of that! And it's really fun seing everyone else excited about it :skeleton: :love1:
citizen_erased
truth bomb

karma_yeah wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:37 pm
Katka wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:15 am(by the way, I finally see the spooky banner, it's amazing! :skeleton:)
Me too! Thanks so much for all the hard work that goes into the forum :candycorn:
I still don't :cry: just a big ol' empty space for me :cry:

anyway I enjoyed last night's vid and I'm really looking forward to whatever they bring tonight! :ghostclaps: I guess I'm really not that picky about which games they play (or whether it can even really be described as 'a game'), I'm just happy to have any content :skeleton:
greenergrass
stress mushroom

kavat wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:10 pm I'm a bit meh about spooky week, I don't really like scary things or loud sudden noises and screams. But I do really like daily uploads, so I'm definitely into it because of that! And it's really fun seing everyone else excited about it :skeleton: :love1:
That's exactly how I feel about spooky week every year. I always look forward to a week of daily videos, but I can never fully enjoy the videos because I'm not a fan of scary things. I have to look up the jumpscare timestamps before watching the video, and then I'm not totally enjoying the video because I'm paying attention to the time and waiting to look away at the next jumpscare.

I wonder if there's anyone that re-uploads the videos with just dan and phil's reaction (with the game screen edited out). I would find that way more enjoyable to watch, but I also don't really like watching reuploaded videos like that because it's taking views away from dan and phil.

But yeah, I'm in the minority that loves when they do the lame non-spooky games because they're much more my speed. Give me sims 'spooky' videos all week lol
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

The best thing about "spooky week" has been the specials. Since they said they aren't going to do any baking vids this year, I wonder if they will do some other longer video of similar quality. The daily content is nice, but a bit low-effort. I hope they're making a video where they've thought some more about the concept. Sketches would be great.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
ratlad
angel bean

^ they're most likely doing a christmas baking this year. i hope they replace halloween baking with some sort of other festive vid, which i think is what they hinted us on?
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
Birdie
blobfish

whatdoiknow wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:51 pm I always look forward to a week of daily videos, but I can never fully enjoy the videos because I'm not a fan of scary things. I have to look up the jumpscare timestamps before watching the video, and then I'm not totally enjoying the video because I'm paying attention to the time and waiting to look away at the next jumpscare.
And here I thought I was the only one... same. I don't really mind scary stuff but I do hate jumpscares. My favourite spooky week videos are spooky golfing and Hide and Shriek for that very reason. I am really excited for whatever might/will replace Halloween baking though, I'm sure it's gonna be good.
liola
rankussy

I might be in the minority that just doesn't care about the game they play whatsoever. I hope there's nothing really scary, I'm awfully bad with jumpscares because they gave me panic attacks and even with them listing it the anticipation that its coming isn't good for me but I still want my content :( I'm here for the bants not for their bad gaming abilities

I'm mostly hoping for longer videos, yesterday was fine just too quick. And I think the special video could be pumpkins carving? I mean I don't know how much is a thing in the UK but it's been requested for Years
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I think that they can do good spooky week games that don't have jumpscares, and in the past I've liked some of them - but I do appreciate the mix of games. I deeply love watching horror stuff and seeing them genuinely play immersive games, which won't happen with the lighthearted ones. If they give me one good half hour chunk of content like Silent Hill PT or even Outlast, then I'm a happy camper and the rest of the week can be along the lines of sillier. What I feel like is a waste of a spooky week day are the app games that aren't fun but also aren't actually scary, or rely only on jumpscares (like yesterday). I don't mind jumpscares but I want it to be part of something building or have a purpose, not the entire game just be a "wait for the jumpscare you know is coming" premise.
omgjo
smol bean

On their latest vid.. At 4:12 what is it Phil says?

I'm sure I'm hearing 'into your Bears mouth'

:shock:
ratlad
angel bean

omgjo wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:07 pm On their latest vid.. At 4:12 what is it Phil says?

I'm sure I'm hearing 'into your Bears mouth'

:shock:
i heard that too and im??? what does that mean???
edit: phil said "bear strap" or something before that??

also liveshow in a half hour, phil just said "come hang out with us" lol wonder who that could be
Last edited by ratlad on Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

On a...Saturday? Not complaining, in fact I'm excited, but that's just so unheard of.