IDB Phandom Watch Fest #4 - Baking Edition

Ablissa
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

Hey everyone!
This is our fourth IDB Phandom Watch Fest!
What is this all about?
The purpose of this project is to 1 - give Dan and Phil more views, because they deserve it, and 2 - have fun as a community, enjoy the videos, and discuss them!

We are going to "meet up" here on the forum on Sunday, November 4th at one of the times listed (or any other time during the day!), play the videos together one after another, and then come back here to chat about them!
- Want to chat with us here? Register on the forum! Click meee!
- Don't feel like chatting? No problem! You can just read the discussion on this forum without registering.
- Not a fan of forums? Join in on the chat on either tumblr or twitter using the hashtag #PhandomWatch
Schedule: (handy time zone converter for you: http://www.timebie.com/timelocal/universal.php)
Sunday, November 4th
First group - start the video at 1:00 PM UTC
Second group - start the video at 7:00 PM UTC
The times don't suit you? Watch the videos during Sunday and come chat at any hour!

Videos:
Discuss the differences, make timestamps or notes, list what you like or don't like - just chat! :)
Watch them one after another - you don't need to wait!
- First video: How to make Christmas cookies!
- Second video: Easter Baking - BUNNY BISCUITS!

:money: IMPORTANT! :money:
Make sure you turn off Adblock and watch all the ads!

If you want to tweet while watching, use the hashtag #PhandomWatch or just chat with us here! Don't be shy, we don't bite! <3

Any questions?
Post here or visit our tumblr or twitter! And most importantly, have fun watching!!
Ablissa
pastel persona

Hey everyone, hope there are some people joining us! We're doing the second round at 7 PM UTC, if you don't make it for this one :)

Questions to consider:
1. Did either video seem staged to you? How would you rate their reactions?
2. Who did a better job in the kitchen? :D
3. Do you think they bake/cook a lot in their daily life?
4. How would you rate their dynamic in both the videos? Did they seem comfortable on camera?
Ablissa
pastel persona

Start the first video NOW!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6CER-c7gUs

Remember :money: NO ADBLOCK! :money:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

They both seem staged just by virtue of in both videos Dan and Phil clearly discussed exactly what the plan was beforehand, but I think for a baking video that's not a bad thing. There's not a lot of room for wild, varied reactions when the actual goal is to follow a process to a predicted end. But I'd say the 2011 one is a lot more restrained in terms of their behavior. There are a LOT more jumpcuts, I'm guessing a lot more moments where they edited out natural reaction (plus maybe a bit of 2011 editing just being more jumpy and random as a stylistic choice.)

2018 Dan and Phil definitely did better. Oh my god those Christmas cookies in the first one were hideous and don't look like they've tasted good, either.

I think they order in more than they cook but that they do cook sometimes. I don't see baking as a thing they do casually and not for a camera. I wonder if they're worried that if they privately got better at it the videos wouldn't be funny?

I think 2018 Dan and Phil seem more comfortable. I'm just not sure if that's specifically on camera or if 2018 Dan and Phil are just naturally more comfortable in themselves and their interactions. Like I said above, I just felt a lot of restraint in the early video. I feel like they felt like they were talking more to strangers than a fanbase they feel like they know.

And some timestamps for the og baking one:

:15 - Starting out with a spon? Or a contest?
:39 - Aw, the slide in intro was there from the start!
:50 - Delia Smith, before it was ironic.
1:11 - How Dan says "caster" reminds me of him taunting Phil with 'Murder on the Dancefloor.'
1:48 - Man, those undies are on display.
2:14 - I wonder what time at night it was when they filmed this that they couldn't just go to the store and get another mixer.
2:25 - Ahah Dan's song.
2:47 - "Don't stab me in the hand." Then jumpcut.
3:05 - Phil pouting - well that's fucking adorable.
3:20 - Another jumpcut after Dan fusses at Phil for his buttery handed egg handling.
4:04 - Dan popping Phil on the ass with the rolling pin. Questionable hygiene, undeniable cuteness.
4:33 - I don't think baking videos are meant to have jumpscares.
4:57 - Luuuuubricate.
5:14 - Wow. Wow. Those are some ugly cookies.
5:48 - Crotch shot.
5:51 - Phil says the cookies look good. Phil is wrong.
6:36 - Dan just.... shoving those hands down his pants. You do you, Dan.
7:16 - And he almost does it again.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

I’D FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE PLACENTA COOKIE :rofl:
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple
Pronouns: She/her

This was my first time watching the Christmas cookie video and it was definitely, uh, something :lol:

Both videos seemed staged but I think that's to be expected with any of the baking videos. They seemed more subdued in the first video, not as hyper and OOT as they get in the later baking videos.

It seems like they are equally terrible in the kitchen and you couldn't pay me to eat those Christmas cookies. At least Phil washed his hands in the Easter vid.

I think they might cook more than bake but I don't think they cook that often. They seem to like their takeout lol

2018 Dan and Phil seem more comfortable on camera but they were also very persona heavy if that makes sense? I know they want to be funny and interesting for the video but sometimes it's a lot. I'm interested to see if they do Christmas baking this year (please!) and if it will be like the Easter video or more natural like the mukbang video?

Random thoughts-
So much singing!
They really are strange guys and I love it
The editing in the Easter video is hilarious!
For a guy with many kinks, Dan sure likes to kinkshame :lol:
Ablissa
pastel persona

We keep making good choices when it comes to choosing two videos to watch :lol: These were both hilarious, and put me in a better mood.

I was surprised to find that... the difference between them wasn't as striking as when we watched 2012-2018 and 2014-2018? Their banter seems quite natural in the first one, they are cute, giggly and smiley. They do seem a bit restrained though, and are clearly aware of the camera, but they still control themselves less than they did in 2012-2013.

First video
Starts with a oneplus commercial – get that money boiz
please stop showing me this phone that i cannot afford
0:01 AW THAT HAIR ON PHIL! IT'S THE ICON HAIR! and the rave treeeee
0:30 they use a different camera angle now, right?
0:38 "Am I capable of... baking" – I think it's safe to say the answer is not really, but we love you for trying
0:44 Dan's very tanned tummy makes an appearance
0:50 oh no. delia smith joke.
1:00 "delia is going to take your baking virginity"
1:18 why are they using salted butter for this
1:30 "or get an adult to help you if you're 8" made me snort
1:44 i forgot how much of a baby dan used to be.. ok i didn't really forget. i'll never forget
2:17 dan is so cute. i'm crying. this is still their baby phan dynamic and they're both giddy and cute and sweet and i love them
2:45 dan pull up your pants bby
3:13 lots of singing in this video. the delia smith jokes are also plenty
3:28 cutest clap from dan <3
4:00 they're talking about the album and phil agrees to put this track on a japan exclusive bonus album and i'm crying due to their cuteness
4:23 dan looks at phil for a long time with the fondest expression
4:45 "for americans, that's about 3 ants on top of each other" – i'm sure this is very helpful phil thanks on behalf of the americans
4:50 "this section would be a lot better if i had cleavage" i'm not sure what to think
5:00 i don't trust Dan with a knife that big...
5:28 phil forgot what cookie he even made lmao
6:05 dan's baby voice :happytears:
6:25 dan comparing their cookies to the sistine chapel made me snort
6:33~: "actually" in dan's baby voice ashdasjh
6:50 OH NO NOT THE PLACENTA COOKIE oh god i always hated that part of his branding
7:00 dan made orgasm noises while eating even 7 years ago. and then he feeds phil. THAT is what the people want dan
7:15 AWWWW THE RADIO SHOW :((( I MISS IT SO MUCH :(
7:35 "time to watch phil and dan for two hours" oh wow. phil and dan
I really enjoyed this to be honest! I haven't seen it for at least a few months, and I kind of forgot how sweet they still were back in the days. I do think this was more "staged" than the bunny one, but they were still definitely more smiley than in some of the other older videos we watched. Also, the Dan jokes weren't many, much better than Manchester ditl, but the placenta/Delia Smith branding did not age well and it just makes me cringe lol.

Second video
starts with a pizza commercial, which is also quite relevant to dnp
0:01 the damn easter bunny always makes me lose it lmao
0:13 phil opens with a "hello dan and phil games..."
0:28 "england's hottest boyband of two people"
0:37 such a damn glo up on these boys. but back in 2010 they also looked v cute :(
0:50 "your rabbitsona" – more relevant than ever
1:16 throwback to delia smith lmao
1:20 i love that we just watched the og delia smith video and now they're discussing how bizarre it was, because yes it was
1:40 phil is being weird and dan is being fond. what else is new
1:58 "cast in the fire of... easter"
2:30 they're discussing phil's outfit, dan is looking the whole time, and their "great baking war" made me laugh
2:55 "definitely not a bag of drugs"
3:10 i'm laughing at their antics and throwing stuff. aah i love this video
3:30 dan has a lot of regrets. "and then we just..." "eff it up. "yes phil."
4:00 "i'm a rabbit bodyguard"
4:05 "not jumping down this hole without a warrant" lmao dan
4:19 i love their completely untouched kitchen with a play button on the shelf
4:55 "just checkin' that you're payin' attention"
5:05 "someone somewhere is finding this arousing" are you one of those people dan?
5:13 "punish it" and dan is "creaming" the batter. at least they have proper tools now
5:40 "why am i letting phil hold this" dan acts like a tired parent
6:03 "phil must have sampled a lot of glue paste in his life" sdasjhjsadgfsad
6:38 phil is being super suggestive while singing the song we all weren't aware was inappropriate when we were children: "2 become 1" by spice girls
6:44 i'm thirdwheeling so much right now and loving every minute of it
6:57 phil is the cutest person in existence. it's just facts.
7:15 all the sexual noises they make when baking is what fuels my desire to continue writing smut sometimes
7:27 "roll it out about half a centimeter thick, about the length of..." "phil's... self-restraint around sweets" lmao
7:55 dog day is a day, phil
8:09 i'm sorry it looks like a weird bean not a bunny
8:23 "that nuzzussy" that pained me to write
8:30 dan is insulting phil's mum again. i wonder if family dinners are awkward sometimes
8:47 phil's restraint is very low and we love it. have your dinosaur for easter phil. we support you
9:26 the fondest look ever from phil followed by dan being funny about the cookies needing to chill
9:39 nice empty fridge :ribena:
9:46 i love how they tell us to use the sticks, and then forget to use them...
10:10 i sometimes forget they are two grown men...
10:39 i love dan just watching phil and waiting for an opportunity
11:37 the editing on this is hilarious
11:57 "you are the reason global warming is happening"
12:30 don't mind me just mourning that my kitchen which is very much used does not have all these expensive appliances
~coffee commercial ~
13:05 i'm sorry but that tulip is not black. that is light grey.
13:30 that dinosaur definitely needs help lmao
13:40 rabbit fursona on the rise
13:57 according to dan bunnies with tooth decay are valid too
14:09 WHY ARE YOU RUINING THESE BISCUITS also i'm laughing so much
14:32 the ribbons should be edible
14:46 honestly that doesn't look so bad
15:10 ahahahaha the editing
15:18 "come here terry, head first"
15:45 i wish they would bake while on tour. like on stage. set it on fire.
This video was such a delight. I kind of overlook it when watching their baking vids sometimes, and I really shouldn't. The editing was hilarious, they were both flirty, relaxed, and seemingly in a good mood. It made me laugh out loud a few times.

A few things that stood out to me:
- they're still pretty bad at baking but they are trying their best :D
- they made orgasm noises back in 2011 and they still do it to this day, fueling our phanfic prompts.
- I loved watching the first video, cringing at Delia Smith, and then seeing Dan cringe about it a few minutes later in the second video.
- The glo up is real and I just feel emotional when watching these two 2011 babies and then these two 2018 men, still smitten after all these years. Also, the hair was better in 2011 than it was in 2013-2014, fite me.
autumnhearth
senpai

I’m sorry I can’t be bothered with keeping track of the time, it was 8am here. But you can see dizzy’s and Ablissa’s for reference

-Look at that shiny black hair and that shiny rave tree. And mess under the tv.
-I always forget that this started out as a challenge thing. Bless Chronicle, whatever they were/are.
-The first sliding in. :love1: The breakfast bar with Malibu and various booze. Dan’s shirt from the first pinof. :love2: Hello Phil’s musical underwear.
-Baking virginity, it’s always been sexual. Looking at their heights, posture changes, but when Dan is upright he’s definitely taller. It was very noticeable in the pumpkin carving vid as well. Like were they wearing shoes? Definitely not in this one. I know Dan often makes himself smaller in gaming videos, but I wonder if Phil likes having a slightly taller boyfriend. Or do they argue about it like my husband and I (he is so in denial)?
-Yay prank off vid reference. :love2:
-‘Caaaster’ ok posh boy
-Dinosaur egg or chicken fetus? In this case Phil is more correct.
-I always forget that Dan is hiding that egg beater in his sleeve and just think he’s striking a pose.
-Phil, how do you already have flour on your face? I blame Dan. Also messy table.
-I need a full length album from them.
-Phil pouting on the floor gets me every time. ‘We haz breadcrumbs’. (Seriously messy floor, when did Dan stop being messy?)
-Hush Phil, ‘Beakfast Bar Stool’ has to be on the album. Yay they compromised.
-Rolling pin to the bum. I always mean to look up Swagatha. Is it from True Blood? Will I do it this time.
-Dan you are holding that phallic object very upright.
-Dan ready to receive the ball in his hands. There’s something vulnerable there.
-Really unnecessary sound effects. I prefer the sexual ones.
-That giant knife is really the wrong tool.
-We all know what the blob is going to be.
-Unnecessary crotch shot, this is only the beginning
-Are fail whales a thing?
-Llamas need necks Dan
-Love the music it makes everything soft and magical
-Hello Disarono annnd Dan’s hands are down his pants
-Surprise placenta cookie feeding
-So proud of those babies. Also love that abominable snow man tee from the radio show
-Annnd Dan’s hands are now down the *back* of his pants, like in Week in the Life only more
-I find it hilarious how quickly and bluntly Phil just dismisses Dan. Like yeah this is my channel and my challenge, go away. But of course it’s just for humor. And Dan still gets the sensual outro.
I am so much more comfortable with this vid than British Pancakes and am so looking forward to this year’s holiday baking (please follow through boys)
Last edited by autumnhearth on Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hello9217
flower crown

Did either video seem staged to you? How would you rate their reactions?

I guess on some level both seem staged to an extent. They are entertainers so they obviously hype up things in order to be entertaining. I mean the 2011 one probably had the worst reaction unless they truly thought those cookies looked good.

Who did a better job in the kitchen? :D

Phil in the 2011 one, and I felt like they did an equally good job in the 2018 one. I'm only giving it to Phil in the first one because of Dan's awful placenta cookie. How did he ever turn that into part of his brand?

Do you think they bake/cook a lot in their daily life?

No, not really. Anytime they mention getting food or we see what food they are eating, it's always takeaway. I think part of the reason they eat out more than they used to is partially because they have more money and partially because of dan's dietary needs. If he's vegan about 6 days a week, it's probably easier just to order something that says it's vegan than checking every ingredient and finding new recipes to make. Although who remembers older dan live shows where you could hear Phil cooking in the background? Ah memories.

How would you rate their dynamic in both the videos? Did they seem comfortable on camera?

I think they seemed pretty comfortable around each other in both videos. Obviously the 2018 was the one with the level of comfort that we're used to seeing around each other normally but I didn't find the 2011 one off-putting or anything. I mean it makes since to an extent. The 2011 one is essentially them promoting their radio show. Like they have to seem comfortable with each other because who would tune in to watch two hours of people who don't seem to have good chemistry? I guess you could view the 2018 one as a way to help promo their tour but it's not like they have to sell their personalities anymore, since at this point we know what dnp have to offer.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

i missed the first showing and im way too sick to write much but i mostly want to say that i love the watch parties, they're amazing and both videos are fun, very fun, prefered the last one just because i love the 2018 dynamic
sorry i'm not writing more!
:gayaf:
kavat
pastel persona

HI, hello, happy sunday, let's talk!

Christmas Cookies:
I haven't watched this in a long time. Was this basically a spon? They have a nice assortment of liquor bottles on the counter, party boyz. Poor Delia, the things they have put her through over the years. Then the baking begins, and it's actually almost like a tutorial, compared to more recent videos that's 90% bants and 10% baking. They've also never had the appropriate utensils for baking, so that's maybe part of it. The singing is really cute. Dan hitting Phil on the ass with the rolling pin is also really cute. Oh my god that's way too much food coloring what are you doing! "This would be better if I had cleavage" put that in the folder of things Dan would never say today. The lubricate bit though, that would totally be a 2018 joke. Wow a fail wale, now that's a throw back. They're really proud of their cookies and that's cute. And then Dan goes an ruins it all with the placenta, jfc. Good thing he's cute and feeding Phil. Aw the radio show! And then some very ~random~ clips at the end. It's all very 2011.
Bunny Biscuits:
The very northern easter bunny is scary af. Boy they look good in their pastel shirts, 2018 hair styles and bunny ears (add this to the furry discussion of the other day). Phil keeps forgetting which channel he's on, which is fair, he so rarely does solo vids. Dan immediately takes over the intro instead. It's 2018 and Delia is still not left alone, but at least is ironic this time. Yes it was dark times. Phil's understanding of easter is disturbing. Dan caressing Phil with a packet of butter is also quite disturbing. Them trying to be manly bunnies is very funny. They've finally upgraded to an electric whisk, honestly I don't understand how people survive without them. Phil's butt wiggle by the oven is adorable. "Someone is finding this arousing" I wonder who. There's so much tension at 6.40, how do they make kneading flirty? And the bit at 7.27 when Phil asks how long half a centimeter is... I have no comments. They've upgraded a bit in planning their cookie shapes but they are not as charming, I must say. "That was off key" they've never cared before, you can tell they were doing rehearsals by then. Completely empty fridge, interesting. ~stick fight~. Spon for Carrie's oven glove (buy it in an IRL store near you). Decoration station, the bit that doesn't look at all like the finished product. Still so strange.
I mean the kitchen seems staged. It's so echo-y in that room, everything looks unused, the fridge is empty. Compare that to the Manchester kitchen that was filled with bottles and things (like someone was actually living there). The reactions were fine, they've definitely settled into a format of how to do these videos and they've gotten a bit repetitive. They kind of make the same jokes in every baking video now (but I'm very much looking forward to cozy christmas baking in the post mukbang universe).

I think the roles have switched a little since 2011, back then Phil was trying to lead and follow the recipe but now Phil is the goofy one and Dan is trying to keep it together. But I think that's just his control freak side shining through (I'm the same, I can't have anyone in the kitchen when I'm cooking or baking without bossing them around and making them do it my way).

I do think they cook, maybe not every day but pretty often. Especially earlier this year when they were trying to get healthy (qinoa!) they probably cooked more at home. But I can imagine that they think that baking is too much of a process to go through for a sugar rush.

4. How would you rate their dynamic in both the videos? Did they seem comfortable on camera?
Well Dan is louder now. He's so loud. And they both seem a bit more comfortable around each other, for example they touch each other a little more now. But honestly it's still just them goofing around in the kitchen.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

First of all, I LOVE the baking videos so much, I need more of those.

Christmas cookies
Alright, I can't believe that's the only Christmas-related baking video we've gotten so far. Why? I need answers and I'm hyped as hell for this year's Christmas baking.
The first thing worth noting is that this video was supposed to be about Phil - and Phil alone - doing something he was capable of. But then boom, Dan was in the kitchen with Phil for no reason and they didn't even explain why - while from 2012 to 2015 they did their best to introduce the other and say things like 'this is my assistant' etc. (Unrelated but they didn't do any baking in 2013, right? Was there a reason for it?) Anyway, I'm glad they're now at the same place they were at the beginnin', without overexplaining the presence of the other in videos. It's just something we expect.

Other things:

- Excuse me Mr. Amazing, where are the decorations in the kitchen?? That's so sad.
- Dan showing Phil'shis underwear all the time. Like, buddy. No one wants to see it, stop that.
- The video itself is quite funny and Dan is not as annoying as he usually is in the videos of that era
- Delia Smith, llamas, placenta. This is the bad place. (cit.)
- Those cookies are hideous. The shapes, the colors. Oh my god.
- How they refer to themselves as Phil and Dan. It doesn't sound right, I'm sorry. But I cried over them doing a radio show for two hours, I wish we had something like that now. :cry:

Bunny Biscuits
I cannot believe this video was filmed this year, it seems like it was so long ago, DAMN.
- Lol at Phil saying 'hello danandphilgames'. It makes me soft. :')
- I love the decorations and the bunny ears. They look adorable.
- They throw things at each other, they fight, they make sexual innuendos and noises and I'm not surprised in the slightest
- They forget to do things - again, not surprised in the slightest. But also, I can't deal with the fact they BOTH forget the same thing, it's not like one forgets and the other reminds him, nooo. They BOTH FORGET THE SAME STUFF, it's like when they forgot to do the end screen in one of their gaming videos. They really do share one brain.
- I still don't understand why at 11.55 they zoomed on Phil's ass and at this point I'm too afraid to ask
- Ok, I lose my chill everytime Phil makes that horrible bunny with that mouth. And then they show all their biscuits and the spooky music comes on and it's the funniest thing in the world to me and that's sad but I can't help it, okay? Phil is a comedian.

They had to follow a plan for the baking, so in that yes, they were definitely staged and dnp knew what to expect.

LMAO that's a question. But probably i'm not the best person to judge since i'm worse than both of them.

I feel like they don't cook everyday but still do sometimes.

4. How would you rate their dynamic in both the videos? Did they seem comfortable on camera?[/quote]
Their dynamic was good in both the videos (I agree with @Ablissa that the difference in their dynamic wasn't as obvious as other years) but in the Easter video you could just feel how much more relaxed (although i think they were also a bit tired which is understandable since they were on full tour - mode) they were in their bants and physical contact. Also, how different PHIL was in those videos. I will never shut up about the progress he has made this year, it's like he's another person altogether and I'm so glad. The Christmas video was good but god, Phil was so much AmazingPhil back then.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
autumnhearth
senpai

I didn’t pause to take notes for the bunny biscuits vid, but it’s just really frickin cute. Phil is so pretty and flirty and Dan seems in a pretty good mood (yes, he’s pretty too). It just feels so much lighter than the conjoined crispy cakes vid, which is good because Easter. Phil seems taller than Dan for like the first half of the video, but I guess they just traded off with the slouching. There are a couple moments when Phil’s shoulders are just so broad it’s like damn. Phil’s Jesus going behind the egg thing still brings much shame. I love the boxing bunnies and Phil submitting during the stick fight. So um their giant house plant is covering most of their empty giant fridge, cool. Phil is so much more confident in this and is often the one making things sexual here (as soon as he said he was finding kneading the butter sexual himself I got an ad for birth control, thanks YouTube, I needed that) whereas in the first one it was all Dan which Phil just says yeah in agreement once. So proud of you Philly. And the soft music will always get me :love2:
kavat
pastel persona

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:08 pm I feel like they felt like they were talking more to strangers than a fanbase they feel like they know.
This! I think this explains a lot about their dynamic now, not only are they more comfortable with each other but also with their audience. They know who we are, what references work, what jokes work. They were still trying to figure that out back in 2011, and the audience was probably a bit different as well. But you can see what stuck, they still sing awfully, they still make sexual noises and they still can't decorate for shit.
Ablissa
pastel persona

My favorite part of these watch fests is reading your posts, that's even better than watching the videos. <3
I'll split up my responses into two parts to not make this post super long (spoiler: it's still really long)
alittledizzy wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:08 pm 2018 Dan and Phil definitely did better. Oh my god those Christmas cookies in the first one were hideous and don't look like they've tasted good, either.

I think they order in more than they cook but that they do cook sometimes. I don't see baking as a thing they do casually and not for a camera. I wonder if they're worried that if they privately got better at it the videos wouldn't be funny?
RIGHT? I'm surprised they always use these really basic recipes and end up with really basic (hideous looking sometimes) cookies. When I bake, I feel like I end up with much yummier looking cookies and I'm pretty bad at the ~aesthetic~ part of baking.
Very interesting observation - I wonder how many things they actively try to stay mediocre at to be funny in future videos. Some games, definitely? (Sims) But then again, I feel like they could be pretty good at baking and still be funny, because they're clumsy and weird and cute.
somethingsketchy wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:11 pm I’D FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE PLACENTA COOKIE :rofl:
I sometimes forget Dan had a whole placenta branding and... Ignorance is bliss. Forgetting that is bliss. I can't wait until I forget again.
CapriciousCrab wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:49 pm It seems like they are equally terrible in the kitchen and you couldn't pay me to eat those Christmas cookies. At least Phil washed his hands in the Easter vid.
I love how low our standards are lmao, I also felt glad that Phil at least washed his hands. The Christmas cookies look horrid, the Easter ones were... okay-ish until they started decorating them. Wouldn't eat them, but would definitely laugh at the hell-ish rabbit cookies. :lol:

I love all the posts here, and I'm so happy to see some people remark on the change in Phil, so here is another question to discuss if you feel like it:
Who do you think changed the most - Dan or Phil? Why?

I will come back with another round of responses soon <3
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Ablissa wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:01 pm I love all the posts here, and I'm so happy to see some people remark on the change in Phil, so here is another question to discuss if you feel like it:
They both changed a lot but I think that with Dan it was more of a gradual change, while with Phil it was more drastic. Up until last year the differences between older Phil and younger Phil weren't so visible, but this year he got rid of the fringe AND his old branding all at once and he's just being unapologetically Phil Lester. He is definitely someone who ponders a lot but once he takes a decision he goes through with it without turning back.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple
Pronouns: She/her

Ablissa wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:01 pm
I love all the posts here, and I'm so happy to see some people remark on the change in Phil, so here is another question to discuss if you feel like it:
If we're talking about their channel personalities, I would say Phil has changed the most. It's been a slow, gradual shift but when I watch his videos from last year and compare them to this year the difference is pretty striking. He's relaxed so much, there's less wide-eyed staring at the camera and a more playful demeanor. He just seems more natural on camera now, a little less robotic. It's lovely to see :love1:

In other ways, I would say Dan has changed the most. He seems to be becoming more comfortable with who he is as a person, with his interests and emotions and how he wants to express them. Phil's always seemed more at ease with who he is and it's nice to see Dan start to reach that same comfort level.
knq
lava lamp

Aw, baby Dan and Phil! Or Phil and Dan, I suppose. As far as older videos go, this one is really inoffensive as well as being cute.

Nice to know that Dan with his hands down his jeans is normal Dan behavior, which I’m guessing he trained himself out of while filming once he got more used to making videos but he still does when he doesn’t know he’s being filmed, ala WITL. I think a lot of the charm of the earlier video is they don’t have much of a formula, at least for a baking video, yet.

I do love that it’s what Phil is capable of and then Dan is just there, especially because they mention their radio special and I recall Phil saying Radio 1 offered him some opportunity that he wasn’t comfortable enough doing alone, so he asked if Dan could present with him. I think that might have been more of a 2010 thing? But it’s sweet that they’re such a solid team, even when they hadn’t known each other that long.

One of the shifts that stands out to me is that in 2018 they’re much more meta. They talk about how a joke will come across, how the scene would have been great if the mixer came on, stuff like that. It’s like they acknowledge what they do is ‘staged’ and simultaneously make it feel less staged by doing so.

If I had to choose, I’d say the 2018 video feels more staged because they know what they’re doing, they have more of a formula and their kitchen is literally a set. 2011 they’re both keeping their bants mostly AmazingPhil channel friendly, but it feels less staged in the sense they didn’t even bother to clean off their countertops of personal items.

I always find the bit of the 2018 video around 14:18 funny/telling
D: Phil! What are you doing to the flower?
P: What? I’m making an edge!
D: Ugh. This guy.
P: Did you have a vision?
D: ... I just thought they were perfectly valid as they were.

Like, Dan doesn’t even know why he’s ‘annoyed’ with Phil, the ‘Phil no!/this guy’ reaction is just an ingrained humorous reaction. When Phil asks what he did ‘wrong’ the answer is literally nothing. :shrug:

As far as their baking—and now pumpkin carving—I love how happy they always are with the finished product even when it’s objectively awful looking. I don’t think they bake much, as it took them ages to even own an electric mixer, but they certainly cook. They can’t order takeout everyday and they’ve both talked about enjoying cooking even if they’re not masterful at it. Dan likes trying new recipes. I think they’re probably adequate enough at regular cooking that it doesn’t seem video worthy.

I know I’m like half way between scheduled watches, but I really enjoyed the rewatch and reading everyone’s thoughts. :prideheart:
Ablissa
pastel persona

Some more quotes from me now, and then we will start the next round soon! <3 I will respond to everything later for sure, so don't be surprised :)
autumnhearth wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:53 pm -I find it hilarious how quickly and bluntly Phil just dismisses Dan. Like yeah this is my channel and my challenge, go away. But of course it’s just for humor. And Dan still gets the sensual outro.
I am so much more comfortable with this vid than British Pancakes and am so looking forward to this year’s holiday baking (please follow through boys)
You drew my attention to the fact that AP is really a collab channel these days. That, or they just embraced their joint branding way more. Phil rarely bothers to introduce Dan anymore, same goes for Dan on his channel, and they do the outros together, which wasn't always the case. I'm happy, I like this. AND YES. THERE BETTER BE CHRISTMAS BAKING. IF NOT, THEY WILL SINGLE-HANDEDLY RUIN CHRISTMAS :evil:
hello9217 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:54 pm Do you think they bake/cook a lot in their daily life?
No, not really. Anytime they mention getting food or we see what food they are eating, it's always takeaway. I think part of the reason they eat out more than they used to is partially because they have more money and partially because of dan's dietary needs. If he's vegan about 6 days a week, it's probably easier just to order something that says it's vegan than checking every ingredient and finding new recipes to make. Although who remembers older dan live shows where you could hear Phil cooking in the background? Ah memories.
I do remember those live shows and I miss them. I remember them discussing what to make. We also had one cooking live show which I wish would come back. But yeah, with the amount of money they have, I guess getting takeout every day is a non-issue.
This just makes me wonder how often Phil eats vegan too, and if they cook, how they work around it. I wish they'd talk about that.
Ataraxia25 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:06 pm i missed the first showing and im way too sick to write much but i mostly want to say that i love the watch parties, they're amazing and both videos are fun, very fun, prefered the last one just because i love the 2018 dynamic
sorry i'm not writing more!
Awww I sincerely hope you feel better soon <3 And I totally agree, the 2018 dynamic is a blessing and I'm seriously hyped for what is coming next for us.
Ablissa
pastel persona

Round two STARTING NOW! (or technically in 3 minutes but I want to let you see the questions)

Questions to consider for round two:
1. Based on these two videos, who has changed the most?
2. Is there anything from the 2011 video that you wish they would do in 2018?
3. Did either video make you laugh & when? :)
4. What do you think stayed the same throughout the years? They changed a lot, anything struck you as unchanged?
huphilpuffs
crusty sponge

I haven't watched the Christmas cookies video in so long, or the last Easter baking one for that matter, so it was really fun to watch them again. I feel like I always forget how much I enjoy the baking videos until I go back and rewatch them.

I feel like these two videos really draw attention to how different the nature of their changes have been. Dan's humour obviously changed a lot between the two (thank goodness. no one needs placenta cookies. ever.) Whereas I feel like a lot of the changes in Phil are more about how he approaches the making of the video. The first one really seems like he's trying to make an actual baking tutorial, and while there is some humour, it seems more like a production. I think a lot of that probably has to do with them having more practice hiding the produced elements of their videos, given the years of practice, but I do think that there was still a change in how they, especially Phil, approach these videos. It's not specific to baking, but it's always amazing to see how much less Phil seems like he's trying to put on a show now vs back then.

Also slightly related and I know it's been mentioned before, but Phil dismissing Dan when the baking was done was so odd to hear. Idk more than half of the 2018 AP vids include Dan. It's practically full of collabs now. That one moment, even without knowing what other videos they made around that time, really makes it obvious how much that's changed. (Phil calling them "Phil and Dan" had a similar effect. Their togetherness was so much less established, it's almost surreal to think about, as someone who started watching during gamingmas 2016).

Honestly, I can't really think of anything specific I'd like to see. I think a lot of what I found charming about the 2011 video is just the natural clumsiness with doing something new and the way that 2011 deppy interacted with each other on camera. But none of that is really a production element they could just bring to 2018, and I'm not sure I'd even prefer any of it to what we have in 2018. The old video is charming because they're young and it's new, but growing up and learning definitely, in my opinion, improved the baking videos.

I can't say either made me laugh, though I think that has more to do with my mood today than the videos lol. Dan's whisk arm thing in the 2011 one was cute I guess. It also kinda made me chuckle that they mentioned Delia Smith, having just watched them with a giant picture of her face in the video.

It was weird to me how little the actual format of the baking videos hasn't changed. It still goes: they tell you the step, do it, mess up a little, make jokes, move on, until they eventually have cookies that are a little imperfect. Though I kinda like that it hasn't. It really lets you see how much they, as people, have changed, which is always fun to see.

So yeah, idk if any of these thoughts are original or all that deep but. I enjoyed watching those videos again. It's always fun to see 2011 deppy as they're gaining their footing in things. (Also it really made me smile to hear them talk about the radio show in the one and about II in the other. They've come so far as people and in their career(s) and I'm just really proud of them.) <3
who met each other on the internet and created this entire world
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

christmas cookies :ravetree:
0:00 - dem hair man
0:38 - the ever iconic "sliding into frame" entrance
2:24 - aaahhh....i remember when they would make random song on the spot...
4:05 - "i thought you ere gunna hit me on the head like a psychopath!" "i did. but the cameras rolling"
4:16 - i laughed at this part then and i still laugh at this part now. dan is just too adorable here
6:38 - (stuffs his hands in his crotch then proceeds to hold a cookie) mr. howell! wash your hands!
i dont have much to say for this one and i feel like its cz its one of those videos i have religiously rewatched back when i was newer in the fandom. it had its good parts but i feel like ive outgrown the humour now. the things that stood out to me though is how "horny" and "hyper" dan seemed. could just be his old branding too. this child was bouncing off the walls while phil seemed like his babysitter that was just there to get paid. idk if sounded harsh but i guess my perspective REALLY changed a lot throughout the years....

bunny biscuits
1:13 - i love the homage also "dark times. truly." same dan, same...
1:33 - "YOU! WILL! NEEEEED!" "JESUS." then phil proceeds to dig his grave
3:03 - uh oh, there seems to be an error. the dan and phil brain telepathy seemed to be not working
3:24 - yes...just ye- no, i mean! totally dan. how dare phil eat all the decorations. im totally not laughing at the fact that while youre doing your very serious rant, phil just casually grabs a bag and snacks in plain sight.
4:24 - theres already flour on phils...um...behind....alright boys
5:00 - "someone out there find this arousing" did you mean you guys?
5:11 - phil, your dom is showing
6:37 - i love how dan asks phil to stop gyrating yet he kept on doing the same dang thing during the christmas cookie video.....aahhh, i love character development
7:27 - "roll it out to half a centimeter thick, about the length of..." "phil'ssssssssssssssss.............................sssssssssself restraint around sweets" "CORRECT." me: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
aahh...the video that made me go back to drawing for dnp again. there was just so many things happening in here. i remember when people were speculating whether well be getting another crafts video (rip) but then we got the wonderful chaotic evil pigeon fest.

i think its obvious how the humour has changed. of course dan and phil themselves have also change quite a lot. theres a term that japanese comedians typically use: "tsukkomi" (straight man, or the one who reacts to the boke's jokes or silly acts) and "boke" (jokester, or the one who makes the jokes or silly acts). *im just using these terms loosely to describe their dynamic.* (link)

if you think about pre-monster pops era, phil was usually the tsukkomi with dan, usually bouncing off the walls, being the boke. but now the roles are reversed. phil is usually the one being a little shit and dan has to reprimand/nag him. of course, dan does still turn into a boke sometimes and phil its not a concrete thing, since both of them take turns being a little shit towards each other.

honest to god? no. im fine with how they are right now - confident and comfortable. and i would like it any other way

the only part i actually make a sound of laughter in the first video was when dan was trying to catch the ball of dough from phil, who was very unaware of this. i just thought it was cute. the bunny video didnt make me laugh perse, its more like me just going "alright boys, get a room" for the entire video and doing this ----> :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: .

4. What do you think stayed the same throughout the years? They changed a lot, anything struck you as unchanged?

*in dans "im very fond but im awkward with showing it so ill act disgusted" voice * how dan didnt need introduction cz its just a fact that he is a part of phil's life cough cz theyre a family cough cheers :ribena:
"you are next to me in my life"
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

CapriciousCrab wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:49 pm For a guy with many kinks, Dan sure likes to kinkshame :lol:
this made me laugh out loud, thanks
hello9217 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:54 pm Do you think they bake/cook a lot in their daily life?

yes.....also, remember the iconic milkshake liveshow? aahh..yes...memories indeed
glitterintheair wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:13 pm - They throw things at each other, they fight, they make sexual innuendos and noises and I'm not surprised in the slightest
- They forget to do things - again, not surprised in the slightest. But also, I can't deal with the fact they BOTH forget the same thing, it's not like one forgets and the other reminds him, nooo. They BOTH FORGET THE SAME STUFF, it's like when they forgot to do the end screen in one of their gaming videos. They really do share one brain.
also of course dan and phil share one brain cell, but sometimes that brain cell gets tired and goes on vacation so things like these happen, oh well i guess :rofl:
glitterintheair wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:13 pm - I still don't understand why at 11.55 they zoomed on Phil's ass and at this point I'm too afraid to ask
$10 that dan edited the bunny video
huphilpuffs wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:40 pm I feel like these two videos really draw attention to how different the nature of their changes have been. Dan's humour obviously changed a lot between the two (thank goodness. no one needs placenta cookies. ever.) Whereas I feel like a lot of the changes in Phil are more about how he approaches the making of the video. The first one really seems like he's trying to make an actual baking tutorial, and while there is some humour, it seems more like a production. I think a lot of that probably has to do with them having more practice hiding the produced elements of their videos, given the years of practice, but I do think that there was still a change in how they, especially Phil, approach these videos. It's not specific to baking, but it's always amazing to see how much less Phil seems like he's trying to put on a show now vs back then.

Also slightly related and I know it's been mentioned before, but Phil dismissing Dan when the baking was done was so odd to hear. Idk more than half of the 2018 AP vids include Dan. It's practically full of collabs now. That one moment, even without knowing what other videos they made around that time, really makes it obvious how much that's changed. (Phil calling them "Phil and Dan" had a similar effect. Their togetherness was so much less established, it's almost surreal to think about, as someone who started watching during gamingmas 2016).
i have nothing to add to this, i just wanna say +1 man
"you are next to me in my life"
Ablissa
pastel persona

Here's me replying again, will split this into two parts once more!
We had less people on this second round, but overall, some excellent discussion - thank you so much!! <3 I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on the second set of questions, so if anyone from the first round feels like filling them in, please do!
We are currently trying to work out the details of our PINOF marathon so please come and help us out if you have any thoughts on it! viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1531&start=125
kavat wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:12 pm 1. Did either video seem staged to you? How would you rate their reactions?
I mean the kitchen seems staged. It's so echo-y in that room, everything looks unused, the fridge is empty. Compare that to the Manchester kitchen that was filled with bottles and things (like someone was actually living there).
I loved your whole commentary! And this is such an interesting point. I think I agree. Their kitchen looks really impersonal now, even with all the quite cute decorations, but in the Manchester video, I paused to see what alcohol they're drinking, and what else they keep on the counter. #stalker You're also right that the jokes are a bit repetitive, but I honestly love the "sexual mess" of their baking vids.
kavat wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:41 pm But you can see what stuck, they still sing awfully, they still make sexual noises and they still can't decorate for shit.
Basically deppy in a nutshell lmao. But you're so right - they know what works for us now. Back then, their audience was as unpredictable as they were, and things were constantly changing. I love the routine these days tbh, the way they know their own audience so well.
glitterintheair wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:13 pm I can't deal with the fact they BOTH forget the same thing, it's not like one forgets and the other reminds him, nooo. They BOTH FORGET THE SAME STUFF, it's like when they forgot to do the end screen in one of their gaming videos. They really do share one brain.
This made me snort. I feel like sometimes they're a pair of big children in need of guidance. Then I remember they're big grown men with an actual business, lots of money, and a steady 9-year long relationship. (The children comment was enforced when they started bunny hopping during the intermission...)
knq wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:52 pm As far as their baking—and now pumpkin carving—I love how happy they always are with the finished product even when it’s objectively awful looking. I don’t think they bake much, as it took them ages to even own an electric mixer, but they certainly cook. They can’t order takeout everyday and they’ve both talked about enjoying cooking even if they’re not masterful at it. Dan likes trying new recipes. I think they’re probably adequate enough at regular cooking that it doesn’t seem video worthy.
I love your entire post <3
Awww reading this made me feel soft and I agree. I mean, the Christmas cookies look hideous, I wouldn't touch them with a stick (especially the green ones), but they seem happy with them. The Easter stuff turned out way better, but then they had to decorate it (which made me crack up so much) to make it look hideous too. Still, they're proud of themselves and I am proud with them. :love2:
I think a video of them just cooking dinner would be such a hit though. Like their mukbang, but first cooking, then eating. I would watch and rewatch the heck out of that.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

A bit late to the party, but I enjoyed watching those videos again! I hadn't seen the christmas one in a while, and it was nice to compare it to the most recent one.

Christmas baking:
-forgot this was a spon/challenge
-Dan wearing Phil's pants. nice nice
-oh dear Delia Smith before it really hit critical cringe levels
-"baking virginity" thanks Dan
-so much singing lmao
-"Grease? You mean lubricate" nice Dan
-I honestly get that baking intermission song stuck in my head constantly. I want to sue Dan for insanity
-Crotch shot. Never really goes away either huh
-Those cookies really look horrible. You couldn't pay me to eat anything they made anyway, between Dan's hands down his pants, questionable things with the utensils, and that tweet about Dan cutting jalapenos or whatever and "adjusting himself" always comes to mind, among other things they do in the kitchen lol (...well, maybe for $1m or something)
-I hate the placenta cookie
-mkay Dan just shoving his hands down the front of his pants. Lovely
-aw the first christmas radio show ): I miss the radio so sm
Easter baking:
-They're really quite cute with those bunny ears and flower crowns (call back to the furry convo? it's something I'm gonna die on either way)
-I love it when they make fun of themselves for doing dorky things
-lmao call back to Delia Smith. Dan will never be free
-Oh Phil ducking behind the counter is cute
-I like how Dan goes to rubs the butter against Phil, and at first he's reluctant but then he gives in
-The insanely fond look Dan gives Phil when he's bringing up the icing sugar, and the way he says how well it goes with his shirt and ears is just fucking lovely
-lmao Phil throwing the decorations at Dan and blaming him for not catching them because that's what Dan always does to him
-D: "Not jumping down this hole without a warrant" ~Consent with Dan and Phil~
-Phil shaking his ass at step zero ahaha
-Dan we see you saying ~someone, ~somewhere is finding Phil smushing the butter between his fingers arousing. We see you
-Phil talking about punishing the butter and sugar. Right
-Lots of hip movements from Phil in this one
-lmao at their bunny fight
-Both of them moaning at the sound of dough slapping on the counter is an experience
-Interbreeding between dinos and bunnies. They're just like that huh
-P, scaring Dan when he's on the floor: "Why do you never jump?" We got the same line during spooky week this year, and have before. It's disgustingly cute to think about them scaring each other on a regular basis.
-Phil's IRL spon with Carrie's oven glove lol
-Nice shot of Phil's flour-y ass
-A dapc vibe jumps out with the editing in this
-They "fight" each other a lot in this video. It's cute
-I think those cookies look good, but the decorations, as they always are, are a bit iffy lol
Questions:
I think they're both staged to some degree since baking requires lots of prep, but the easter one was more so imo. We talked about the video being edited out of order and their different batches when it came out, so I think that's more of an indication that there are always going to be staged bits of these videos so they don't flop completely. I think 2018 Dan is about a million times louder than 2011 Dan, but far more comfortable with himself. Phil's louder too, but in a way that's more Phil Lester than AmazingPhil. I think their reactions are more genuine to a degree in the easter video because while they're pandering to the audience, it feels more them and less like a forced reaction to try and make the video more interesting.
Individually, Dan is less messy with the ingredients than Phil, but far more chaotic so I guess they balance each other out. Video-wise, easter baking is miles ahead of the christmas cookies, for both skill and general appearance.
Like others, I don't think they bake much or at all in their daily lives. I do think they cook at least a few times out of the week, but they also seem very partial to takeaways.
Not to sound like a broken record, but 2018 Dan and Phil are for sure more comfortable on camera. They just seem more relaxed and knowing of their boundaries and how they want to present themselves online than they did in 2011.

---
Both of them have changed so much, but I have to say Phil. He seems more Phil Lester than AmazingPhil, which is something we've seen change subtly over the last few years, and really be present in 2018. I think while Dan was pretty danisnotonfire in the first video, he was still more relaxed from his persona and more just 20 year old Dan making dumb jokes he thinks are funny.
Honestly? No. I think the way they make these videos has done some pretty solid growing. They both follow the same format, and I think both of them are a step away from their usual content, but in ways that are reflective of the time. So I think 2018 is good being 2018 because it wouldn't be like this if it weren't for them kick starting it all with the 2011 video.
I think I had more fond smiles at both videos than anything else. I like when they did their silly little songs at everything in the christmas one, and I shake my head with a stupid smile at them using a fucking wooden spoon to blend the ingredients. I love when they went to fight each other a few times in the easter one, and Phil dropping to the ground after his shameful description of easter is always so good.
The general formula of baking videos stayed the same, though they definitely smoothed it out a bit by having more batches in the easter one (ones with sticks & ones without etc..). Also finally having a fucking hand mixer helped them a lot lol. But sticking to what worked for them back then for years and just altering it to fit whatever they're doing/their comfort levels seems to have been the best option for these videos.