Dan & Phil Part 78: have the courage to exist.

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

ratlad wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:24 am
Phantasy wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:03 am Poor Danny. First Phil goes up north for a few days then he gets back and now can’t engage in any “strenuous exercise” for a few more days.
#NoSexNovember
well, it is No Nut November after all...

im sorry
you're amazing, truly amazing
:gayaf:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

From the fandom side, the response to this has been interesting to watch. The jokes are still coming fast and furious (at least on my twitter) but I can definitely see a backlash against joking about it, too.

I do think that them posting all the cute content right on the heels of Phil's tweet was a good idea. I think they'd probably rather have levity than be inundated with concern, just because sometimes concern can feel like pressure. But there is a lack of empathy I'm noticing between people who find it hilarious and good meme content, and people who were genuinely upset.

I hope they do a liveshow this week because I feel like that'll be good for everyone.
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

@alittledizzy yeah, i can kinda see some of it in tumblr too. while i do find myself a bit worried for their health, i also trust that they know how to take care of each other the most. ive got a long track record for worrying too much about things to know that it only makes things worse if you do, and also as a person who works w kids, i know that its better to act calm at times of emergency to let the child (or any other person in your care) know that they are safe in your hands.

unfortunately, not everyone is profecient at reading between the lines...we all know how the phandom can blow things out of proportion. had they kept quiet about this then a fan saw them in the hospital by chance, people would freak out. same, if not worse, will happen if they had tweeted about it but in a very serious and vague manner and didny answer any replies to it. so yeah, dans humour may seem like he "doesnt care" but its usually the ones who joke about or make light of it are the ones who worry the most. (am i generalizing or projecting? heck idk, but thats coming from my personal experiences)
"you are next to me in my life"
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple
Pronouns: She/her

I think they handled it really well. Dan was smart to keep it light and jokey since it seemed to calm the panic while not giving out any personal details.

I am a little surprised that they shared this at all tbh. Do you think they were seen by a fan and wanted to say something before it got out?
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I think that when you're in a public place with so many people, you never know if someone recognizes you or not, because it's not a given that they will approach you if they do. So I feel like they didn't want to risk it and shared the news themselves.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
JustMe
living flop
Pronouns: She/her

sonicgreen wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:07 pm
Does anybody actually know what the first thing is Dan says?

EDIT: just read somewhere that said 'Just making myself comfortable on your bed' so maybe it's that.
Last edited by JustMe on Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ I'll be bold as well as strong and use my head alongside my heart ~
sonicgreen
woodland creature

@JustMe I heard:
"Just making my self comfortable, you know? Supportive friend"
knq
lava lamp

If Phil had wanted to keep this private I think they would have done that and then planned tweets/IGs as a backup plan in case someone saw them at the hospital and was impolite enough to spread that news around the phandom and cause a lot of upset. The fact that they both tweeted and posted IG stories like, what, an hour after they got home? Says to me that Phil did actually want to share. My guess is that he or Dan might also want to talk about it in a liveshow because it was a big part of their week. It's also probably a way of saying 'don't expect new videos real soon' without saying it.

If the doctors had told Phil something upsetting that he was having to come to terms with, I think he probably wouldn't have shared it with social media. I do agree he's a private person, but only about the topics he chooses. He's told stories in videos about fainting (I think in 2009 when Dan was in India?), tweeted when he was taking Dan to hospital, and more recently tweeted about food poisoning. When he was describing getting a flu shot before the tour he said he was 'one of those kids' who really liked to describe how much a shot hurt and the experience in detail--so the sense I get is that, provided he's actually all right, he's not as private about his health experiences as he is about some other components of his life.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

knq wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:21 pmIf the doctors had told Phil something upsetting that he was having to come to terms with, I think he probably wouldn't have shared it with social media. I do agree he's a private person, but only about the topics he chooses. He's told stories in videos about fainting (I think in 2009 when Dan was in India?), tweeted when he was taking Dan to hospital, and more recently tweeted about food poisoning. When he was describing getting a flu shot before the tour he said he was 'one of those kids' who really liked to describe how much a shot hurt and the experience in detail--so the sense I get is that, provided he's actually all right, he's not as private about his health experiences as he is about some other components of his life.
That's a really good point. He also used to tweet about his headaches monthly (sometimes multiple times a month, early on) and I've often wondered if him not tweeting anymore is because he started being more private about health stuff or because he found some kind of solution to the headaches and actually doesn't have them as often.
kavat
pastel persona

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

They're both being very quiet on social media today (which is fine, I think they earned it) but they must be lurking around because both of them have been active liking stuff on twitter. I especially like this one from Dan:
Phantasy
woodland creature

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:39 pm They're both being very quiet on social media today (which is fine, I think they earned it) but they must be lurking around because both of them have been active liking stuff on twitter. I especially like this one from Dan:
I was hoping for some cute Bonfire Night pics, but sounds like a quiet evening in recovering from yesterday’s trauma.
Ataraxia25
flower crown

why would they have "love heart" sweets? isn't it a valentine's day thing? i'm confused and who gave it to him? :hearts:
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Ataraxia25 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:49 pm why would they have "love heart" sweets? isn't it a valentine's day thing? i'm confused and who gave it to him? :hearts:
It could be leftover Halloween candy or the discounted candy they sell at the shop but it is a pretty sad looking heart. Janice really needs to step up her game
kavat
pastel persona

The romantic in me says it's get well-candy bought at the hospital gift store because Dan wanted to cheer him up. The cynic in me says it's discount halloween candy.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I vote Phil bought them for himself because those things are pure sugar and that's Phil's favorite food.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Now I'm just imagining Phil demanding Dan let him raid the gift shop at the hospital before they left.
liola
rankussy

You're all wrong, it's obvious every nurse and doctor at the hospital couldn't help but fall for Phil and tried to win his heart by gifting him with sugar smh
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

liola wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:42 pm You're all wrong, it's obvious every nurse and doctor at the hospital couldn't help but fall for Phil and tried to win his heart by gifting him with sugar smh
Damn, you’re right. That is 100% exactly what happened. That’s why Danny boy got on the bed- to stake his claim. Someone write this fic!
Ataraxia25
flower crown

liola wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:42 pm You're all wrong, it's obvious every nurse and doctor at the hospital couldn't help but fall for Phil and tried to win his heart by gifting him with sugar smh
this is the best explanation tbh. like. OBVIOUSLY. i'm ashamed i didn't think of it myself.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
Amiaw
interactive introvert

lilabet wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:51 pm
Good on Dan and although we didn’t get a Phil tweet he did like Dan’s tweet and that counts as progress for Phil
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

discounted halloween candy given as a nice gesture? very thoughtful, i hope that's the case. or it could be what @liola said, which is also very plausible!!!
but discount candy has a very special place in my heart.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Hank Green posted a fantastic thread about the directions current content creators on youtuber are going in - I highly suggest reading the whole thing:
But @rizzo responded with a tweet I totally agree with (and apparently Hank does as well, since he liked it!) that echoes the conversation we've had on here before about how Dan and Phil are definitely choosing, as Hank put it in one of his tweets, a high connection with a smaller number of people over a low connection with tons of people.