Dan & Phil Part 78: have the courage to exist.

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

Amiaw wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:04 pm
lilabet wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:51 pm
Good on Dan and although we didn’t get a Phil tweet he did like Dan’s tweet and that counts as progress for Phil
Best thing Dan put on twitter in 2018 :lol: (it really is though)
You can sense Dan has a genuine interest in politics and even though he's probably mostly tweeting to the choir here, it's still one of the best ways he can wield any influence he has. Hopefully, it convinces some unlikely voters to actually turn out and vote.
Hopefully enough people in the US actually vote today to make a change.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
glitterintheair
phillluminati
Pronouns: she/her

Hank Green made a thread about youtube and creators engaging with their audience and i think it is interesting and it applies very well to dnp:
Especially:
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

glitterintheair wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:52 pm Hank Green made a thread about youtube and creators engaging with their audience and i think it is interesting and it applies very well to dnp:
Especially:
It definitely relates to Dan and Phil! I actually posted about it but it got buried at the bottom of the last thread - Hank actually liked a tweet that specifically named Dan and Phil as going the lowkey route.
alittledizzy wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:34 pm But @rizzo responded with a tweet I totally agree with (and apparently Hank does as well, since he liked it!) that echoes the conversation we've had on here before about how Dan and Phil are definitely choosing, as Hank put it in one of his tweets, a high connection with a smaller number of people over a low connection with tons of people.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

B'awwwww. There be my tweet. :love1:

If you have a minute, it's definitely worth reading Hank's little spiel and also the responses from other youtubers. (Dodie argues for #whynotboth, while Anna Akana thinks growing your audience via higher production value can be positive.)

I know we've talked in circles about this topic, but like... I wanna talk about it more. I've had a think on the topic and I think I've come to understand why most youtubers do go for the bigger audience/less connection scheme and why D&P and H&J don't. The latter pairs meet the following requirements:
  • Have made significant money such that it is no longer a major concern, whether via youtube initially or via other endeavors (see: authoring books, going on tours, building a merch empire.................... can you tell which pair I'm talking about? 'Cause I can't.)
  • This is perhaps even more important: They climbed this youtube ladder with a partnership (and additional personality) already in place. There's no need to get a production team involved on-camera. There's also the added benefit that it's more natural and therefore more appealing to an audience. And neither is left alone to make the big decisions.
It boils down to the fact that Dan and Phil have each other and they have money, so like, while ambition is a great thing to have, if your ambition isn't filmmaking, then why bother getting fancy? Instead, they can cultivate a strong relationship with the people who already like them as they are. And I'm assuming that's the conclusion they've come to at this point.

I recognize that Dan's talked about upping the quality of his videos, but do we recall how recent that was? Do we think his POV on that has changed? Maybe dinof will be the channel where they experiment in this fancy production world without losing touch with who they are on the other channels.

I couldn't be happier to stan them tbh. Their comfort is my comfort. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
Vsoftdnp
tol bean
Pronouns: she/her/they/them

rizzo wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:16 am B'awwwww. There be my tweet. :love1:

If you have a minute, it's definitely worth reading Hank's little spiel and also the responses from other youtubers. (Dodie argues for #whynotboth, while Anna Akana thinks growing your audience via higher production value can be positive.)

I know we've talked in circles about this topic, but like... I wanna talk about it more. I've had a think on the topic and I think I've come to understand why most youtubers do go for the bigger audience/less connection scheme and why D&P and H&J don't. The latter pairs meet the following requirements:
  • Have made significant money such that it is no longer a major concern, whether via youtube initially or via other endeavors (see: authoring books, going on tours, building a merch empire.................... can you tell which pair I'm talking about? 'Cause I can't.)
  • This is perhaps even more important: They climbed this youtube ladder with a partnership (and additional personality) already in place. There's no need to get a production team involved on-camera. There's also the added benefit that it's more natural and therefore more appealing to an audience. And neither is left alone to make the big decisions.
It boils down to the fact that Dan and Phil have each other and they have money, so like, while ambition is a great thing to have, if your ambition isn't filmmaking, then why bother getting fancy? Instead, they can cultivate a strong relationship with the people who already like them as they are. And I'm assuming that's the conclusion they've come to at this point.

I recognize that Dan's talked about upping the quality of his videos, but do we recall how recent that was? Do we think his POV on that has changed? Maybe dinof will be the channel where they experiment in this fancy production world without losing touch with who they are on the other channels.

I couldn't be happier to stan them tbh. Their comfort is my comfort. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
eep yup i agree with this so much
having gone through so much shit through the years, i'd like to think that dnp have matured a lot, as well as their audience. And dnp know that too. It's not about having the most views, or the most likes, or the most subscribers: dan even said after tatinof he started to take a step back, and create content that he himself would enjoy, instead of fitting the demographic of 2018 youtube.

If you are a youtuber and you like the way youtube is going, great for you! But dnp didn't join in 2018. they joined way back in the early days, where everything was different, and there wasn't a massive amount of competition.

they can afford to be themselves on youtube now, cuz they've earned it through the years

i'm sorry if this is a bit messy and off topic i'm typing this in a rush

tldr; dnp in 2018 makes me feel things
I'm getting tired of this war of hearts
This competition that has no end
Do me a favour and cut the ties with that side-eyed glare of yours
That cuts through minds and wills
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

rizzo wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:16 am I recognize that Dan's talked about upping the quality of his videos, but do we recall how recent that was? Do we think his POV on that has changed? Maybe dinof will be the channel where they experiment in this fancy production world without losing touch with who they are on the other channels.
It was about a month ago in his solo liveshow.
itasca00 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:59 pm
  • [23:26] Dan wants to step up his game when it comes to the aesthetics of his videos, and he doesn’t know how to do it. It sounds like this might be one of the reasons he doesn’t yet feel ready to upload a new video to his channel.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
kavat
pastel persona

I agree a lot with everything @rizzo said. And I think this tweet in the thread is really interesting: This is part of why I think Dan upping the production value of dinof isn't the best idea. We like seeing him in his bedroom/filming nook, we like seeing the comic sans text and effects that we know Phil paid $8 for and makes him use in the editing, because it makes the video feel more genuine and personal. There's still that feeling of "that could be me" and relatability that is the whole base of their success.

I also think there's also a factor of tv not representing young people during the past 10 years, where a lot of teenagers/young adults have completely stopped watching tv because there's nothing for them there (as mentioned by deppy in the interview with Sue Perkins). But youtubers are relatable, they come in all different shapes and sizes and backgrounds and identities and everyone can find a personality they click with. If that person starts veering to much against something that looks like mainstream media, the audience feels betrayed, because that's not what they signed up for. That's my problem with iisuperwomanii, she lost her charm for me when she started only doing big scale sketches that look too polished. I mean good for her that she can do that now, but they're one step from a sitcom with a laugh track. It's just not right for the medium of youtube.

So circling back to deppy, I've mentioned before that if Dan wants to do something of higher production value, I hope he uses his connections and makes something for tv. He could be a "face of the youth" on mainstream tv that's missing these days.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

I don't think Dan saying that the wants to up his aesthetics means he wants a higher production value. I think it's related to his background decoration instead. "Aesthetics" isn't something you'd use to describe new production equipment and setups.
autumnhearth
senpai

LtrllySusan wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:14 am I don't think Dan saying that the wants to up his aesthetics means he wants a higher production value. I think it's related to his background decoration instead. "Aesthetics" isn't something you'd use to describe new production equipment and setups.
Eh, I think he could be referring to both. I am ready for him to get out of that glass closet (heh) I haven’t really enjoyed the look of any of his videos filmed there (the sitting down and talking bits, the sketches have been fine). It’s a great thread and @rizzo makes a great point, both pairs can comfortably get cozy with their existing audience because of their financial security. It’s a good place to be in.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

LtrllySusan wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:14 am I don't think Dan saying that the wants to up his aesthetics means he wants a higher production value. I think it's related to his background decoration instead. "Aesthetics" isn't something you'd use to describe new production equipment and setups.
didn't he say earlier this year that he was thinking about getting an editor/someone else to film his videos for him?
obviously i don't think he wants to do that now, but he said it around the time of his "mental breakdown" that he mentioned in the mukbang vid. i'm assuming that it was around that time bc of his behavior.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
glitterintheair
phillluminati

ratlad wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:32 pm didn't he say earlier this year that he was thinking about getting an editor/someone else to film his videos for him?
obviously i don't think he wants to do that now, but he said it around the time of his "mental breakdown" that he mentioned in the mukbang vid. i'm assuming that it was around that time bc of his behavior.
yeah he said that in his infamous march liveshow where many dubious things were said so yes, i agree that it's most likely that he doesn't want to do that now - can you imagine Mr. Control Freak letting someone else to do the editing or the filming of his videos? Nah, mate.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

glitterintheair wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:42 pm
ratlad wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:32 pm didn't he say earlier this year that he was thinking about getting an editor/someone else to film his videos for him?
yeah he said that in his infamous march liveshow where many dubious things were said so yes, i agree that it's most likely that he doesn't want to do that now - can you imagine Mr. Control Freak letting someone else to do the editing or the filming of his videos? Nah, mate.
I do feel like whether he wants to try and up the production quality or not might be an internal debate that Dan is having right now and part of why the channel is on hiatus. That seems like a creative difference he and Phil might have; I don't think Phil has any interest at all in making his channel look more professional than it is. I think editing styles will evolve over time, and definitely have already evolved, but it's personal evolution and not him bringing in an outside influence.

I think Hank's point that the youtubers who are trying to scale up are forced to make their team part of the process is interesting, because I'd noticed that but it'd never really clicked in my head exactly how many people do that. Shane Dawson has made his camera man a personality every one knows, Lilly Singh shows all her staff on camera, Philip DeFranco has a whole separate office vlog channel, etc. The fake behind-the-curtain approach can be interesting to watch but I can't see Dan and Phil wanting to draw anyone else into their youtube world. And I think like @rizzo said, the fact that they are already a unit and not going through this alone probably makes a bit difference. I mean if Dan and Phil had any interest in on-screen monetizing and incorporating other people's contributions to their career into the audience-facing stuff, we'd have seen videos with Martyn and Cornelia years ago.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:52 pm I think Hank's point that the youtubers who are trying to scale up are forced to make their team part of the process is interesting, because I'd noticed that but it'd never really clicked in my head exactly how many people do that. Shane Dawson has made his camera man a personality every one knows, Lilly Singh shows all her staff on camera, Philip DeFranco has a whole separate office vlog channel, etc. The fake behind-the-curtain approach can be interesting to watch but I can't see Dan and Phil wanting to draw anyone else into their youtube world. And I think like @rizzo said, the fact that they are already a unit and not going through this alone probably makes a bit difference. I mean if Dan and Phil had any interest in on-screen monetizing and incorporating other people's contributions to their career into the audience-facing stuff, we'd have seen videos with Martyn and Cornelia years ago.
I agree that Dan and Phil are still very much a duo and they don't have other people featuring in their videos or content but I'm also curious if this is why they've started introducing us to people from irl. We never used to know much about their work colleagues/friends and even though we got a glimpse into the team with tatinof it was a whole different thing this time around. Now we have names and faces and even have their employees featured in their merch. Up to now I've viewed that as dnp opening up but maybe it is more thought out than that.
Lalalevia
first-time poster

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:52 pm I think Hank's point that the youtubers who are trying to scale up are forced to make their team part of the process is interesting, because I'd noticed that but it'd never really clicked in my head exactly how many people do that. Shane Dawson has made his camera man a personality every one knows, Lilly Singh shows all her staff on camera, Philip DeFranco has a whole separate office vlog channel, etc. The fake behind-the-curtain approach can be interesting to watch but I can't see Dan and Phil wanting to draw anyone else into their youtube world. And I think like @rizzo said, the fact that they are already a unit and not going through this alone probably makes a bit difference. I mean if Dan and Phil had any interest in on-screen monetizing and incorporating other people's contributions to their career into the audience-facing stuff, we'd have seen videos with Martyn and Cornelia years ago.
I find your mention of this specifically really interesting because just a while ago Lindsay Ellis (of previous Nostalgia Chick fame) posted a video about Youtube and its content creators needing to manufacfure a level of authenticity using two different baking channels as examples.

She even holds a little discussion with Hank Green about it which I wonder is the reason for his thread on twitter. Interestingly enough it's part of the charm of Dan and Phil as well given you know the edits for their gaming channel are all done by them and the creative choices are clearly things that make them collectively laugh. There is authenticity in being a part of the process all the time.
dc34
glabella

Lalalevia wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:31 pm
I find your mention of this specifically really interesting because just a while ago Lindsay Ellis (of previous Nostalgia Chick fame) posted a video about Youtube and its content creators needing to manufacfure a level of authenticity using two different baking channels as examples.

She even holds a little discussion with Hank Green about it which I wonder is the reason for his thread on twitter. Interestingly enough it's part of the charm of Dan and Phil as well given you know the edits for their gaming channel are all done by them and the creative choices are clearly things that make them collectively laugh. There is authenticity in being a part of the process all the time.
This reminds me, there was a youtuber who commented on dnp's video, I don't remember which one but it was in the last 6 months, and they said some thing along the lines of "wow their editor must have had a wild ride editing this". Then people informed them that dnp don't use an editor and they edit it themselves and they were so shocked by that. Using editors is more common now than self editing
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Amiaw wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:52 pm
I agree that Dan and Phil are still very much a duo and they don't have other people featuring in their videos or content but I'm also curious if this is why they've started introducing us to people from irl. We never used to know much about their work colleagues/friends and even though we got a glimpse into the team with tatinof it was a whole different thing this time around. Now we have names and faces and even have their employees featured in their merch. Up to now I've viewed that as dnp opening up but maybe it is more thought out than that.
I don't feel like that's strategic as an effort to familiarize us with their team so much as it is strategic in an effort to stop phandom from doing what phandom does when it feels like it has a mystery on it's hand. We did actually have a very good insight into the merch team from TATNIF; IG stories might not have been a thing but Juliet, Lauren, Cornelia, and the other merch team people tweeted very regularly. I think that's their own doing and not something Dan and Phil sanctioned.

In terms of us knowing the merch store models, I think that's necessity of needing to show their merch on other body types and not wanting us to go "but WHO IS SHE" every time someone new appears. A gentle introduction and not feeling like someone is off limits softens our curiosity as a fanbase and probably makes for a lot more pleasant an experience for the IRL employees. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with their work on youtube as a platform.
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

While we’re on this subject, do you think we’ll ever get a video with Martyn and Cornelia? Since they don’t seem to mind the attention (although I know the occasional Instagram is far from the exposure of a YT video).

Honestly, I thought we for sure would get a truth bombs or something while on tour. Phil and Martyn’s dynamic is so fascinating and I think it would play well on camera, but obviously only if all parties were comfortable.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

thestigdrivesamini wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:19 pm While we’re on this subject, do you think we’ll ever get a video with Martyn and Cornelia? Since they don’t seem to mind the attention (although I know the occasional Instagram is far from the exposure of a YT video).

Honestly, I thought we for sure would get a truth bombs or something while on tour. Phil and Martyn’s dynamic is so fascinating and I think it would play well on camera, but obviously only if all parties were comfortable.
imagine Truth Bombs with M&C during gamingmas ...... a boy can dream...
:sleepypuppy:
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

It's interesting to see Phil's approach to his health publicly. Obviously this isn't something he has to share, but it broke their virtual silence after Sunday. He definitely knows what he's doing by disseminating the information like that (mentioning Dan is effective). I guess it's just interesting considering we've been talking about the way they're interacting with us as a whole lately. I hope he's doing alright though, and a joint liveshow at some point would be cool too (selfishly, I want to hear Dan's dramatic run down of it all after being distanced enough from it).
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

a) what a married tweet

b) phiiiiiiiiiil :(

c) reminds me of this from 2010
liola
rankussy

Phil's tweet really is one of the coupliest thing he's tweeted in a while. The casual and completely unasked for mention of Dan, without even tagging him, just to let the people aware that yes indeed Dan will be the one around him all the time, so much so that he will be affected by this supposed hyperactivity... i don't know it's really making me warm and fluttery. That is 100% the kind of thing someone would tweet about their significant other and you can try and pry this from my cold dead hands
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I'm so fascinated by Phil mentioning Dan in the last two tweets that had to do with his health. He clearly knows that mentioning him will smother the panic but also those tweets are SO domestic and coupley and I'm gonna cherish them like the trashcan I am.
Also, there better be some ig stories of hyperactive Phil annoying Dan, just sayin'.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

What kind of antibiotics make you hyperactive?
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple
Pronouns: She/her

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:44 pm What kind of antibiotics make you hyperactive?
I know Amoxil can make some kids hyperactive but I dont know of any antibiotics that have that affect on adults. :shrug:
Ablissa
pastel persona

I'm really starting to wonder what is going on (Phil's tweet + some anon on tumblr got me thinking even more), and I know it's invasive AF and none of my business. I'm also aware that the answer is probably like "the flu" or something along the lines, but I still have a deep wish to know more.
It kinda hit me when he tweeted about the hospital that I am really attached to these two guys, and yet have to rely on whatever they tell us. Which again, obvious, but unnerving for someone as anxious as me. I just want both of them to be healthy and happy. Ugh. This is embarrassing to even post.

If any of you super sleuths came to some conclusions based on the little information we have, I would welcome a PM to soothe (or fuel) my worries. :lol: I personally never took any kind of antibiotic that made me hyperactive. They all made me tired and miserable.

(if this kind of post is not ok please remove it)