Dan & Phil Part 79: calm down there bub

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

I think I might also be ready to admit that I like collaborative games a lot more than Dan vs Phil games. I wanna see them work together to complete something again.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

ratlad wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:10 pm hopefully the next vid has more bants, less bangs.
speak for yourself, i want both. 8-)
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

When it comes to Dan and Phil, I'm usually here for the bants, and I agree with others that this video had fewer than other gaming videos. However, I liked the game so much that I didn't mind. (The Kabuki minigame alone at [9:04] is incredible and makes me want to buy the game.) Plus, the bants we got were pretty darn good. Anyway, here are my highlights:
  • The first thing I noticed was that Phil’s roots are back. Based on that and how similar Dan's hair also looks in this video, it seems that this video was probably filmed on the same day as the last gaming video.
  • [0:00] Dan sets the tone of this video perfectly by banging his sticks together very aggressively. Calm down, mate!
  • [0:04] The weird sexual vibe from the last gaming video has been carried over into this one, and I’m here for it:
    D: And we are thrilled, aroused, and pumped--
    P: Yeah.
    D: --for this video right here.
  • [0:37] I could not believe that Dan made this reference:
    D: It was, like, the most fun I’d ever had--
    P: It was so fun!
    D: --and I was like, yeah. ‘Cause forget “Phil is not on fire.” The drum game was the most fun I’d ever had.
    P: That was it.
  • [0:57] Dan pretends to tongue the drum accessory because why not, right? 😏
  • [2:15] I didn’t get the reference made here when I first watched the video, but my best guess (after some Googling) is that they’re referring to a restaurant chain called wagamama.
    P: I’m gonna be KATSU-chan.
    D: Katsu curry.
    D: Fancy a wag’s later?
    P: We should wag' it up.
    D: There you go. That’s our plan.
    P: Yeah. Drum and then wag’.
    D: Couple of lads going to wag’.
  • [2:47] Phil seems completely, blissfully unaware of everything that Dan is insinuating here. Maybe Phil's just playing along, but maybe he's actually just that innocent. 😊
    D: I’m gonna do hard--
    P: I’m gonna go normal.
    D: --‘cause I’m hard, and Phil’s a normie. Confirmed.
    P: Hey.
    D: There you go.
    P: At least I’m not on easy. I’ve progressed from that since we got the game.
    D: Phil might be a normie, but he’s not easy.
    P: No.
    D: I’m hard, but I’m not extreme.
  • [7:46] Eh, then again, maybe Phil's not that innocent.
    D: I will have nightmares about whatever the hell that is.
    P: It wants to nibble on your--
    D: It’s, like, neighing.
    P: --nips.
  • [8:29] A cute moment. I approve.
    P: Drumming some rhythm into this brain.
    D: Phil is improving his intelligence with some brain harm.
    P: *taps Dan on the head with his stick*
  • [8:34] I’d like to know more.
    P: Kabuki.
    D: Kabuki.
    P: We went to see a kabuki show in real Japan.
    D: It was challenging.
    P: It was.
  • [10:19] Phil beats the computer, and Dan sticks his hand out for a handshake. Phil puts his stick out, and Dan takes it and starts shaking it. Then they both think it’s weird and stop, turning away from each other. Seems about right.
  • [12:18] Phil sticks the “Dan vs. Phil” sticker to Dan’s forehead. Phil lightly taps the sticker twice with the drum stick, and it falls off of Dan’s face. Phil taps a third time on Dan’s unprotected face, and Dan expresses a comedic level of betrayal. Dan claims this is “babuse.”
  • The merch links both point to danandphilshop.com, and I feel resigned. :|
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

rizzo wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:45 pm
ratlad wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:10 pm hopefully the next vid has more bants, less bangs.
ok lets compromise: dnp hit each other with phallic sticks while talking about chores, running errands, and what they will have for dinner that night.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

ratlad wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:13 pm
rizzo wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:45 pm
ok lets compromise: dnp hit each other with phallic sticks while talking about chores, running errands, and what they will have for dinner that night.
forget pinof bloopers. this is the christmas video i want. :drool:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

itasca00 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:09 pm [*]The merch links both point to danandphilshop.com, and I feel resigned. :|
This is the saga I'm really here for. I just want to see how long they torture you with inconsistent links.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Cuties.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I have to agree with most that the video was relatively boring, but babuse was great, as was the call back to pinof 1 and japhan. I also love when they make their dinner plans in the middle of their videos too, it's awfully domestic and cute.
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:25 pm I think I might also be ready to admit that I like collaborative games a lot more than Dan vs Phil games. I wanna see them work together to complete something again.
dan vs phil can have their own appeal for competetive bants (or trash talking lmao), but collaborative gameplay gives them more opportunity to bounce off each other. i've given up on hoping for multi-part let's plays, but i'd love to see them do anything along the lines of either donkey kong or something something collaborative puzzle solving something.
:please:
thank's you were great
itasca00
moon room

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:52 pm
itasca00 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:09 pm [*]The merch links both point to danandphilshop.com, and I feel resigned. :|
This is the saga I'm really here for. I just want to see how long they torture you with inconsistent links.
Dan and Phil might have no idea who I am or that I do these timestamps, but, nevertheless, I'm starting to feel like this is very much an intentional personal attack. How can they be so mean? What kind of monsters are they?! :lol:
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Winston
flower crown

I agree with most of you, not the best game for bants nor for gameplay. It took 4 tries before I could get through it since I take meds that make me sleepy. I got there in the end and my conclusion was, if my Dan (husband) buys this game, I will start divorce proceedings. The plastic on plastic is terrible. If I were their neighbors I would sue, or at the very least put a bag of dog poo on their doorstep. There were a few small crumbs of the makings of good bants, but not enough to overcome the rest. It was okay, not great.

(very late to the swimming convo, but I too am from the states and live literally right next to a great lake, not to mention grew up in a town named after water and had lakes all over the place(about 15,000 in my state). so water is very much a part of our lives here, yet there are a lot of people who never learn to swim. My cousins and I all learned before we actually were walking, or out of diapers. Where, in contrast, one of my cousins and I both married men who never learned to swim, sink like bricks and panic if their heads go under even if their feet can touch the bottom. I don't think it's too much of a money thing here, because city rec groups and YMCA's offer swim lessons for fairly cheap if not free, not to mention a lot of people just learn from their parents. I think it just has to do with parental priorities when the kids are young.)
actions speak louder than words
itasca00
moon room

Two random, unrelated things I feel like sharing:
  1. Five hours later, this "cuties" Tweet is still fucking me up.
    Catallena wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:34 pm Cuties.
  2. In researching the timestamp below, the first hit I got was for Wags N Tales.
    • [2:15] I didn’t get the reference made here when I first watched the video, but my best guess (after some Googling) is that they’re referring to a restaurant chain called wagamama.
      P: I’m gonna be KATSU-chan.
      D: Katsu curry.
      D: Fancy a wag’s later?
      P: We should wag' it up.
      D: There you go. That’s our plan.
      P: Yeah. Drum and then wag’.
      D: Couple of lads going to wag’.
    Based on their Twitter bio, it sounded like a place that Dan and Phil might enjoy.
    Time Out Love London awards- 2018 WINNER *best Coffee Place *Brunch Spot *Late night spot *LGBTQ hangout and r/up *Bar/pub for Kingston Upon Thames! 🐕friendly!
    For a split second, I seriously considered whether they might be going there just to find strangers' dogs to pet. :lol:
Ablissa
pastel persona

itasca00 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:40 am I didn’t get the reference made here when I first watched the video, but my best guess (after some Googling) is that they’re referring to a restaurant chain called wagamama.
Based on their Twitter bio, it sounded like a place that Dan and Phil might enjoy.
They definitely meant wagamama! I'm too tired to pull up receipts but we've seen them eat food from there before. One of videos with Louise maybe?
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

Ablissa wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:59 am
itasca00 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:40 am I didn’t get the reference made here when I first watched the video, but my best guess (after some Googling) is that they’re referring to a restaurant chain called wagamama.
They definitely meant wagamama! I'm too tired to pull up receipts but we've seen them eat food from there before. One of videos with Louise maybe?
I think it was in either Louise or Jims vlogs that they are it. I think Louise also mentioned it in the fancy meal video.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
knq
lava lamp

itasca00 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:40 am Two random, unrelated things I feel like sharing:
The cuties tweet is on my mind too but mostly because I’m confused.

If Dan is following people because he finds them cute how does that connect with “being better?” Like, better at what? Being a cutie? Being a celebrity? Why would following cute people make you cuter or better? What am I missing here? I feel like it’s supposed to be super obvious ugh.
kavat
pastel persona

knq wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:25 am
itasca00 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:40 am Two random, unrelated things I feel like sharing:
The cuties tweet is on my mind too but mostly because I’m confused.

If Dan is following people because he finds them cute how does that connect with “being better?” Like, better at what? Being a cutie? Being a celebrity? Why would following cute people make you cuter or better? What am I missing here? I feel like it’s supposed to be super obvious ugh.
I think he means being better at being cute. Like in a "Man, Ezra Miller looks amazing, I also want to look amazing" kind of way. Or with celebrities he could mean better at using his platforms.

Or it was just a throwaway #relatable tweet with not much thought put into the wording. Either or, I like the use of cuties. He's a cutie (with stress reactions).
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

He might mean that they look like they have more exciting lives, jogging with ponies or skydiving while doing a phd or something. Social media perfection and all that.

I liked the video, made me laugh. Drum sticks look like breassticks and yeah, poor neighbours.
itasca00
moon room

I think being inspired to be better might also refer to striving to obtain a better body (skinnier, bigger muscles, better skin, better hair, whiter teeth, etc.) and/or to striving to have better fashion (bolder, more exciting, edgier, etc.).

I thought of the former because Dan once said in a video that looking at pictures of Marcus Butler would be bad for his self-esteem, and Dan often likes to point out that male beauty standards exist. Oh, and now that I think about it, there's also this tweet:
If my assessment is correct, the thing that gets me most about his tweet is his choice to call people with these attributes "cuties." Everything about that choice is perfect. :love1:
autumnhearth
senpai

I’m guessing it’s mostly about abs and a more defined jaw line, which whatever. Of course now I want a peak at which cuties he follows.

While I agree about the bants, I did end up watching the vid a second time with the husband last night and it really did cheer me up. What it lacks verbally, is made up for physically. Both little physical attacks from Phil and just the sheer enjoyment Dan hand from banging those sticks. My husband was even grooving to the Kabuki mini game. Sometimes it’s just nice to see them play something that makes them happy. And yeah it helped that for that rewatch I just focused on the top right corner.

Definitely Wagamamas, they ordered in after the pregnancy video with Louise, but that quote is pretty funny out of context.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

CHRISTMAS SOCKS???? CHRISTMAS SOCKS!!!!!???? PLEASE??? PHIL!!!! :ourmoney:
ALSO THE MERCH PROMO PIC OF HIM AND HIS LOVELY ROOTS :happytears:
my guess: he signed some stuff and the socks have corgis with little red bows on them
Last edited by ratlad on Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

Are those Christmas Corgi socks? I thought I was done spending money on these boys for the year after I panic-bought II. :ourmoney:
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
obvsly
#relatable

I'm insanely excited!!! Those socks look lovely but the one with hand-drawn glasses got me thinking he's launching a glasses line for a second. Wouldn't that be great though? I mean Tyler Oakley did it and if Phil did too then we'd get to enjoy pics and videos of him in glasses more for months and months. I really wish he would do that. :thekoolkatz:
kavat
pastel persona

Ouff the christmas socks do look snazzy. I like that the eyes on the hat corgi are so big that they look like sunglasses. 100% cool corgi. :thekoolkatz:
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

I have given these dorks SO MUCH money this year and now Phil has the AUDACITY to make Christmas fun socks?!!? Guess I’ll be sneaking off during Thanksgiving lunch to go blow MORE MONEY on them.

The forever home better have a koi pond with my name engraved somewhere

But seriously, super pumped for new merch! :6-year-old dan:
kavat
pastel persona

Someone on tumblr suggested it might be a coloring book and now I'm so into it. I'm all for anything that will bring us more cute doodles and scribbles like on his shop about page.