Dan & Phil Part 60: Lady Door Tour

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Afunnyworld wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:33 am Does anyone know if it's better to buy tickets now or to wait for the day of the show/ a few hours before when they might be cheaper?
When TATINOF came to my city I had been a fan for only about a week. I ended up buying a ticket only a few hours before the show on a resale site for about $30(£23). When I got to the theater, they switched my printout ticket for a new one, which ended up being center orchastra L. ( I didn't even realize that was a good seat until just now, I also didn't understand anything that was happening during the show either.)
Anyway, despite having 2 people and 4 devices this time, (with an actual desire to attend the show :wink: ) I still couldn't get VIP tickets. So now I'm not sure if I should buy the best of the cheap tickets as soon as possible, or if I should try my luck again and wait until day of the show, in hopes of getting much cheaper and better tickets. If someone has more experience with buying tickets last minute, I would appreciate some advice.
I’ve bought tickets the same week for musicals in London rather than shows by really popular people and there are usually a few left, but you can’t predict it so if you really want to go, I’d buy what you can soon in case there’s nothing left rather than wait months, tbh. Someone who goes to more concerts might know more, though.
anime_is_not_cool wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:59 am
whatdoiknow wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:50 am
xaephan wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:22 am Shout-out to my poor peeps who, like me, got absolute shit seats! I'll be sitting on the very last row in the balcony, next to a pillar.

(Also, can I just say how absolutely shit Ticketmaster is? It was a 47 dollar ticket, plus 12 in 'service fee' and 5 in 'processing fee', what a rip off.)
I feel you. I got suckered into looking into a 40 something dollar ticket only for it to become 60 something dollars with the fees (I'm not usually too worried about prices, but I recently bought tickets for a few concerts around that time next year so I don't want to overdo it just yet. I'm still holding off for now).

Is it just me, or is Canada / the US quite expensive in terms of ticket prices? I mean, this is normal pricing for shows around here, but I swore I saw people mentioning UK prices being around 20 or so pounds, or am I just making that up? It could be partly the exchange rate that's making them seem a lot cheaper.
the cheapest tickets for stockholm were only 18 euros - about 16 pounds - plus 1e delivery fee if you order an e-ticket. so yeah, there definitely is a price difference. i wonder if it's the long distances between cities, or something about work permits, or usa venues being more expensive generally.
The U.K. venues around the country usually have cheaper prices than London, and maybe some other bigger cities, because they have lower rents and staff costs, etc. Brighton was £27.50-£62.50 and London’s best seats are about £68. VIP seems to be around £100, I didn’t check them all. £68 is still low compared to a West End show, top prices can be £125 and the lowest about £25. The Eventim Apollo’s in Hammersmith a bit further out, though also has double the seats of the biggest West End theatres. It’s common for comedians to go there.
auri
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: they/them

allsaintshowell wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:27 am <3 :biheart: :biflag: :prideflag: :prideheart: <3
i love one man. :prideflag: also congrats to Australia :furtivehug:

The trailer was cute, but nothing new. It had nice aestheticis, i really like the red-white-black combo.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual
Pronouns: she/her

Skylar wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:06 am
I feel awful though because as happy as I am for everyone getting tickets, I'm bitter as hell because- Jackaboy (jacksepticeye) did a tour earlier this year, a solo tour, and a group tour with the Grumps. I couldn't go to either of those because, A- I'm broke, and B- the tour he did with the Grumps was in Europe. Then this dan and phil tour shows up and I.. still can't go to this tour either. I'm sorry ugh. I'm being bitter as hell and I started tearing up because I hate being broke and never being able to meet the people I like a lot. It sucks.

Ignore this post sorry. I'm happy for everyone that got tickets though, I hope you have a great time
I feel you. :platonic: It does feel a bit as though everyone you know is going to a party and you can't go. :cry:

I had psyched myself up to go, and was planning to drag my daughter along, but go even if she wouldn't. It didn't occur to me there would be no venues closer than a day's drive (and I live in a major metropolitan area!) and I just can't reliably schedule an overnight trip so far in the future. So it's a little disappointing.

The good thing--to carry on with my analogy--is that everyone going to the party without us is going to report back on everything, and that will be nice too. :lilheart:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
readingmama
dank meme

Congratulations to everyone who got tickets!

I will be going with my kids to the Vancouver show and its going to be a blast! For us it means a drive and an overnight stay so we are definitely in the cheap seats but it should turn out to be an excellent adventure.

I took a look just now and there still seem to be quite a few seats available still for Vancouver- even some VIP but the prices for the show are some of most expensive I've seen listed. VIP is $215 CAD- which is about 170 USD, 145 Euro or 225 AUD.

Let the wait for the tour begin! ( bring on PINOF....)
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

so this may be a weird question, but could people who have met deppy in the wild (seen on the street and asked for photo type thing), talk about how they plucked up the courage to do so, and how it went down? just since they're going to be in a lot of places near us, and i think it would be a good insight into how people "successfully" (for lack of a better term), and of course respectfully, interact with them when they're out and about.

edit: i forgot to say that obviously stalking is not okay at all, and that i hope to god no one does that to them during the tour (like how young people stalk literally the entire riverdale cast here :roll:), i'm just curious about the meetings that happen purely by being in the same place at the same time.
Last edited by obsessivelymoody on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

rebeccarayne wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:06 am Cute reply :love1: congrats Aus!
come on mate, i thought you were 'into politics'. it isn't legal here, it was a non-compulsory, non-binding, unconstitutional paper survey and still needs to have politicians vote to pass a bill through parliament. it is in their hands. we don't get to vote on same-sex marriage. (i think it *will* get through, for the record, i just don't want people congratulating us till something has happened because it will feel particularly awful if for some slim chance, it doesn't).

but no, nit-picking aside, it's very sweet that he's being so vocal. it gives me the warm and fuzzies. it's nice seeing him use the little rainbow flag emoji, in any context.
readingmama wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:56 am I took a look just now and there still seem to be quite a few seats available still for Vancouver- even some VIP but the prices for the show are some of most expensive I've seen listed. VIP is $215 CAD- which is about 170 USD, 145 Euro or 225 AUD.
yeah it'll be interesting to see what the TBCs go for, because so far Vancouver is topping the list with prices. I wonder why?
also you sound like the best mum, i want in on that roadtrip. can you adopt me?

from the Melbourne thread:
Susannah wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:02 am this is so frustrating. do ticketmaster think we can be online at all times and ready at a moment's notice??
nice of them to inform us in the afternoon when people have been glued to their screens since 9am. they better give adequate notice. the other countries waiting i feel confident they will, in a few weeks, but i've lost faith for this particular show because the tour website was showing something different from the ticketmaster website for Sydney, until literally a few minutes beforehand. i like and trust dan and phil and their people a lot; but promising accuracy like that and telling people to keep checking their website for the most up to date information like Phil did in the joint liveshow was a bit of a mislead.

i'm so negative, i'm renaming myself negative nancy :lol:

on the brightside it looks like a fair amount of idb'ers are going, it may be more than Tatinof, so i'm already looking forward to the reviews and VIP first-hand accounts. woo!
art in avatar by lily
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

mermaid blood wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:59 am
readingmama wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:56 am I took a look just now and there still seem to be quite a few seats available still for Vancouver- even some VIP but the prices for the show are some of most expensive I've seen listed. VIP is $215 CAD- which is about 170 USD, 145 Euro or 225 AUD.
yeah it'll be interesting to see what the TBCs go for, because so far Vancouver is topping the list with prices. I wonder why?
also you sound like the best mum, i want in on that roadtrip. can you adopt me?
as someone who has frequented the event scene in vancouver for the past few years (and who knows people within it and whatnot), vancouver is extremely expensive to rent venues, and ticket prices are reflective of that. the queen e theatre where dnp are preforming is the only middle ground between the vogue theatre (with a capacity of 1161) and rogers area (the home of our hockey team and where most concerts are held-so not ideal for what they are doing-with a capacity of 18630) with seats already built in to accommodate for an actual theatre-type performance.
along with that, dnp are also choosing a very accessible venue in the heart of downtown vancouver, which adds on to the expensive rent. vancouver is also one of the most expensive places to live in the world, which is always reflected in ticket prices because companies can totally get away with the prices they charge based on the cost of living in the area, which i think is total bullshit (this is literally why i'm broke and living at home because i'd have to room with like 5 people to pay less than $1000 in rent lol). but yeah i'd say these factors and a few more contribute to the wild ticket prices here
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

thank you for the info! i'm actually looking into moving to Vancouver next year, but i didn't want to be presumptuous and assume it was the housing/cost of living crisis there.

I guess i was just surprised because I assumed Australia and NZ would be the most expensive, in terms of remoteness, so it really highlights how bad it is there considering it's close to so many other major cities and show stops.
art in avatar by lily
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

mermaid blood wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:21 am thank you for the info! i'm actually looking into moving to Vancouver next year, but i didn't want to be presumptuous and assume it was the housing/cost of living crisis there.

I guess i was just surprised because I assumed Australia and NZ would be the most expensive, in terms of remoteness, so it really highlights how bad it is there considering it's close to so many other major cities and show stops.
off topic stuff down below (but i guess anyone interested in moving to vancouver could read this if they want)
i would totally recommend moving here, but just be aware that food is so expensive if you want to be healthy, transit and insurance if you have a car are far more than they should be, and as i said rent is killer (along with the almost 0% vacancy eek). but i guess the views make up for the struggles lol

while i'm not entirely surprised at how much it is, i thought that the prices would be close to toronto's prices, but i guess not then :/
YourMother
smol bean

Argh I'm so annoyed I really wanted to get VIP tickets for Dublin but they sold out in MINUTES. I just about managed to score seats for my niece and I, but I really wanted to surprise her with VIP.... :cry:
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

obsessivelymoody wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:32 am
off topic stuff down below (but i guess anyone interested in moving to vancouver could read this if they want)
i would totally recommend moving here, but just be aware that food is so expensive if you want to be healthy, transit and insurance if you have a car are far more than they should be, and as i said rent is killer (along with the almost 0% vacancy eek). but i guess the views make up for the struggles lol
the melbourne situation is similarly horrendous, we have a housing bubble crisis at the moment too and I've done a lot of research, there would be almost no difference in terms of costs between staying here vs moving to Van for a bit and seeing if I like it (while i'm eligible for a visa). I could choose a more affordable city (and one not so close to Trump, lol) but I fell in love with it last year. I visited for 2 weeks on my own and didn't want to come home. Toronto and Montreal were super interesting in their own ways, but not for me.
I almost bought tickets to the Vancouver and Seattle shows, but at the last minute changed my mind. i hope I don't regret it.

actually - is anyone going to multiple dates, aside from Emma? something I enjoyed during Tatinof was the comparison between different shows from the same reviewer.
art in avatar by lily
flarequake
not an airport stalker

I’m going to Brighton (both shows, gotta love cheap restricted view seats), London and Basingstoke so that’s the very first shows and then a week and two weeks later. I’ll make sure to write down as much as I can, I used to spend hours posting reviews on the Cats forum, it’s a shame I stopped cos it was so great to remember it better, especially details (I was slightly miffed they performed in the same theatre, but didn’t go to see it, also in my headcanon forget the dancing and they'd make such a good Munkustrap [Dan] and Macavity)
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

mermaid blood wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:46 am
obsessivelymoody wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:32 am
the melbourne situation is similarly horrendous, we have a housing bubble crisis at the moment too and I've done a lot of research, there would be almost no difference in terms of costs between staying here vs moving to Van for a bit and seeing if I like it (while i'm eligible for a visa). I could choose a more affordable city (and one not so close to Trump, lol) but I fell in love with it last year. I visited for 2 weeks on my own and didn't want to come home. Toronto and Montreal were super interesting in their own ways, but not for me.
I almost bought tickets to the Vancouver and Seattle shows, but at the last minute changed my mind. i hope I don't regret it.

actually - is anyone going to multiple dates, aside from Emma? something I enjoyed during Tatinof was the comparison between different shows from the same reviewer.
i had no idea it was so bad there too! yikes. tbh (though i've never been to melbourne), i think living here is worth it if it'll be the same sort of situation with what you have there, even if it is only for a few years. of course, i am completely bias as i grew up here haha
i hope you don't regret that decision either!

also, i am very curious to know if anyone is going to multiple dates as well, considering this show is far more open-ended than tatinof.
Flomy
sofa crease

I am going to see the two Amsterdam shows, curious to see if there are differences even though it's on the same day in the same city. :mrgreen: Hopefully I will remember enough to review, that's not something I'm good at I think.
blackdenim
procrastinator

I’m going to Brighton evening and London! The promise that every show would be different was too seductive haha. I’m not great at reviews because I have a terrible memory/attention to detail but I will try to report back as much as I can.
obsessivelymoody wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:57 am so this may be a weird question, but could people who have met deppy in the wild (seen on the street and asked for photo type thing), talk about how they plucked up the courage to do so, and how it went down? just since they're going to be in a lot of places near us, and i think it would be a good insight into how people "successfully" (for lack of a better term), and of course respectfully, interact with them when they're out and about.

edit: i forgot to say that obviously stalking is not okay at all, and that i hope to god no one does that to them during the tour (like how young people stalk literally the entire riverdale cast here :roll:), i'm just curious about the meetings that happen purely by being in the same place at the same time.
I haven’t met D&P “in the wild”’, but I used to go to a lot of gigs around the UK, and would often run into band members I loved out and about in the cities before shows. And living in London i sometimes run into celebs too so I can kind of answer these questions.

I think context is really important - what are they doing, who are they with? Are they walking around a shopping centre looking relaxed? Fine to approach. Eating dinner alone or with tour crew, looking like they’re discussing work? Leave them be (actually a good rule of thumb in life is to just not bother anyone when they’re eating haha). It’s a lot easier to pluck up the courage required to approach someone if you know you’re not being a bother as well.

I’m sure you can work out from their body language/expression and activity whether someone would like to be bothered or not and if it’s not, it doesn’t matter how much you want a D&P selfie, it’s not going to be a good experience for anyone so it’s honestly not worth it.

If they look like it would be ok to approach them it’s honestly just a case of swallowing any pride/feeling of “I’m too cool to do this” you have, plucking up major courage, trying not to blush too much and politely and as calmly as possible going up to them and saying “Hi, I’m a huge fan - I hope you’re enjoying my city/the museum/your coffee etc... I was wondering if we could get a selfie?” Rehearsing your opening line in your head as you walk over so it comes out smoothly is a good tip otherwise you risk blurting out “I LOVE YOUR SKIN CAN WE TAKE A PICTURE?” because your brain isn’t working properly.

Hopefully they will say yes and want to chat to you but if they’re in a rush you just have to be gracious and say thanks anyway I’m looking forward to the show tonight (if you’re going obviously!) and then not blast them on twitter/tumblr for it afterwards!!

And I would also really advise not coming on too strong with the whole “omg I love you guys you saved my life you’re the reason I have friends etc etc etc” stuff in person (not that I’m saying anyone on here would necessarily do that!) because although the sentiment on your end is well-intentioned, it can make the person hearing it feel really uncomfortable because you’re putting them on a pedestal when they just feel like a normal person, and no one likes to feel a big power imbalance like that.

Sorry for the essay! Also I hope no one thinks I am making assumptions on how they might approach D&P I’m speaking from years of experience I have made almost all those mistakes and more over the years :lol:
flarequake
not an airport stalker

That’s some really good advice, blackdenim. I think if people are calm and aware of how much time someone seems happy to stop for, you probably could tell them something more personal, I think Deps always quite touched by that even if it’s a random meeting.
blackdenim
procrastinator

flarequake wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:45 am That’s some really good advice, blackdenim. I think if people are calm and aware of how much time someone seems happy to stop for, you probably could tell them something more personal, I think Deps always quite touched by that even if it’s a random meeting.
Completely agree with this, it seems like they treasure those interactions (when they have time for them!) and that’s not what I meant about not coming on too strong it’s more the really obvious fangirling that I guess can make people feel uncomfortable because I imagine it can make you feel slightly like a piece of meat when it’s directed at you if that makes sense!
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

SO RELIEVED the yes vote won, I have been v emotional today and Dan's tweet of support genuinely made me cry :')

While the vote was entirely unnecessary, and isn't legally binding, there's no way marriage equality won't pass now as we have proof that a majority of the country supports it so if it doesn't pass it'll be the kiss of death for Turnbull and the Libs (current ruling party). Plus, it's just such a relief to have some happy news for once, and I'm so happy that we don't have to endure months of gloating from the conservatives.

I'm also so proud of Melbourne (my city) for having the highest percentage of yes-voters out of all the cities. Thanks so much everyone on here for your kind messages of support!!

Also, congrats everyone who got tickets to the tour! I hope you all have the most amazing time ever, and sending lots of love to those who missed out :love2: :love2: :love2:
nephilimcat
woodland creature

allsaintshowell wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:27 am <3 :biheart: :biflag: :prideflag: :prideheart: <3
cute :inlove: also congrats to all australians :2022:
pulvis et umbra sumus
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

ngl i'm a bit i'm sour that my electorate was one of the very few in vic that was a majority "no" vote but i know a lot of conservatives (i'm a Christian and grew up in those circles) so i guess i should have expected it. still super super happy that "yes" won tho, and seeing dannyboi acknowledge it (even if people keep thinking it's like the irish vote instead of it being a nonbinding survey) was the icing on the cake. :prideflag:

still waiting for news on the melbourne tickets tho. get your act together ticketmaster/deppy :contentdrought:

blackdenim that's some really sound and practical advice! :ribena:

i'm glad so many of you have got tickets! congrats especially to Ablissa (your fics are lovely) - you get to meet them on dan's bday (!) and i wish you the best time :love1:
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

there are few on this board who've met them in the 'wild', and it seems overwhelmingly like short and sweet, with purpose, is the best way to go, so i'll echo blackdenim.

for a lot of us, our instincts are to not appear as 'fans', and to set someone at ease by being casual and trying to make small talk with them. for the majority of people you'd want to approach on the street this is good advice. and it may go fine, they may be chatty - but anecdotally that is not always the case, especially with Dan, which leaves some with the (unfair) impression Phil is 'friendlier'. (that may be a burden that Phil isn't always comfortable with, either).

remember that both are introverted, and one especially has expressed anxiety over social situations, so leaving the interaction of your own accord when you sense the moment is over instead of waiting for any expectations to be filled is probably going to leave both parties feeling positive. i'd love to hear some more first-hand accounts though, they're always interesting.
art in avatar by lily
blackdenim
procrastinator

mermaid blood wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:51 pm there are few on this board who've met them in the 'wild', and it seems overwhelmingly like short and sweet, with purpose, is the best way to go, so i'll echo blackdenim.

for a lot of us, our instincts are to not appear as 'fans', and to set someone at ease by being casual and trying to make small talk with them. for the majority of people you'd want to approach on the street this is good advice. and it may go fine, they may be chatty - but anecdotally that is not always the case, especially with Dan, which leaves some with the (unfair) impression Phil is 'friendlier'. (that may be a burden that Phil isn't always comfortable with, either).

remember that both are introverted, and one especially has expressed anxiety over social situations, so leaving the interaction of your own accord when you sense the moment is over instead of waiting for any expectations to be filled is probably going to leave both parties feeling positive. i'd love to hear some more first-hand accounts though, they're always interesting.
Yep! The best thing I ever realised when I was a teenager following bands round on tour was that I was never going to be properly friends with the people: I'm always going to be a fan first, that's always how my interactions with them are going to be framed, so I have to just be ok with that. It meant I (and the bands) enjoyed my experiences loads more, and I was able to be at ease and put them at ease also. I'd encourage anyone meeting D&P to go in with that mindset for the best experience :)

I would also be really interested to hear first-hand accounts of people who've met them out and about instead of at M&G's: they seem mostly quite detached from their 'fame' in day to day life, it's interesting to find out how they react when it's in front of them like that.
dansnose
delia smith
Pronouns: she/ her

finally calmed down from the tickets hype and caught up with the last few pages!

i’m going to the warsaw shows and yesterday when the tickets went on sale the venue’s website fully crashed for about 45 minutes and oh my god these were some of the most stressful 45 minutes of my entire life i was scared i’d miss my chance of vip tickets (or good seats) bc i wasn’t too sure if it’s my wifi or the website itself

buuuuuuuut!!!!!!!!! i managed to get vip tickets for BOTH the warsaw shows and got the same seat for both shows (front row, almost perfectly in the middle!!!!) :D <3

i couldn’t be any happier i got exactly what i aimed for
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

I just checked for London and there are seats available for row H and J in the centre. I swear those were gone yesterday.
I still can't justify getting a better ticket when I have one already.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

Okay so I just got another ticket for Milton Keyes. That will be a fun journey home to london afterwards but the ticket was so cheap for the seat.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3